Frugal and frustrated

I called RC last night for a customer that is on Allure 12-4 sailing. Final Payment was due late September. Prices have dropped substantially. I was able to move them from an inside to a balcony oceanview guarantee. (the actual price of the Balcony X was lower than what they had paid for their inside). They did not get any $$$ back or any OBC, but were happy to be put into a balcony.

I called RC last night for a customer that is on Allure 12-4 sailing. Final Payment was due late September. Prices have dropped substantially. I was able to move them from an inside to a balcony oceanview guarantee. (the actual price of the Balcony X was lower than what they had paid for their inside). They did not get any $$$ back or any OBC, but were happy to be put into a balcony.

Good job! Customers/passengers need to understand the dynamics of filling empty cabins.

I am surprised at the number of threads about this.

I appreciate the encouraging feedback. For those hitting me as a TA (papa flamingo/PCwalton) I wasn't asking you to change TA's and I book hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in Disney where I can apply discounts to resorts and cruise prices go up, not down (in general). But I am also a person and have feelings as well. As you can see by my 27 posts, this is new to me. Thanks for your kind words welcoming me to the boards.......

Thanks to everyone else. Yes I was frustrated and just needed perspective. So after all the posts I ended up upgrading to a Jr suite for $300 for 8 nights, 4 people, seems like it could be ok. I will learn from this and learn how to explain the policy to my clients. I appreciate the words, the "talk me off the ledge". Likely has more to do with the other stuff going on in life as well. We will enjoy our holiday, in a bigger room and I am putting it behind me.

Thanks!!

Edited by firstsailor

Im not so sure they couldnt have gotten that deal when they originally booked.Alot of the time a balcony guarantee will be cheaper then some interiors because you have no choice what floor etc they put you..Could be right under the pool,obstructed or whatever...Hope you explained that.

I appreciate the encouraging feedback. For those hitting me as a TA (papa flamingo) I wasn't asking you to change TA's and I book hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in Disney where I can apply discounts to resorts and cruise prices go up, not down (in general). But I am also a social worker and have feelings as well.

Thanks to everyone else. Yes I was frustrated and just needed perspective. So after all the posts I ended up upgrading to a Jr suite for $300 for 8 nights, 4 people, seems like it could be ok. I will learn from this and learn how to explain the policy to my clients. I appreciate the words, the "talk me off the ledge". Likely has more to do with the other stuff going on in life as well. We will enjoy our holiday, in a bigger room and I am putting it behind me.

Thanks!!

You have to admit its kind of ironic.. You were angry you paid a higher price for your original room and now you shelled out even more money for a room where you dont spend much time in...Just sayin,seems crazy to me.Enjoy

You have to admit its kind of ironic.. You were angry you paid a higher price for your original room and now you shelled out even more money for a room where you dont spend much time in...Just sayin,seems crazy to me.Enjoy

Yep ironic and possibly stupid. But having 2 teens with one on the autism spectrum, More room and larger balcony seems better I guess. Maybe it was the power of all the posts trying to neutralize my frustration. I guess it felt like I was at least getting SOMETHING for my $1400 ....

Yep ironic and possibly stupid. But having 2 teens with one on the autism spectrum, More room and larger balcony seems better I guess. Maybe it was the power of all the posts trying to neutralize my frustration. I guess it felt like I was at least getting SOMETHING for my $1400 ....

You will LOVE the larger room, JSs are really nice 🙂

You will also get access to Coastal kitchen and double points so I think it was $300 well spent to upgrade to the JS except that now you will always want a JS.

Enjoy your cruise.

Not new but book mostly Disney, which doesn't have this issue. Thought we would try something different. If this were a client they would be mad at ME.

Does it always happen? I don't know, I'm not a frequent RC customer.

Yes, it usually happens after final payment date if the ship doesn't fill up! If your schedule allows, & if you don't have to fly to the port, your best prices can usually be obtained after final payment date. Good luck.

I did. The next highest that we could use is a Jr suite for $509 more. We could do the bigger balcony one but then my kids have to sleep together and my daughter has autism so that won't work. I can't give them another $500 when I watch my current room go down over $1000 :(

My frustration level is such that I'm afraid it will ruin the trip. I know I need to let it go but as a travel agent I won't be encouraging anyone to book early...

I would never ever use you as a travel agent if that is your advice to never book early. Your a travel agent and just gave horrible advice......K.O.:rolleyes:Also your suppossedly a TA and your on cruise critic ASKING for advice about your booking? It's laughable.

If you want to feel better about the price you paid then go over to DCL and look at the cost of that same cruise for them. I bet you feel much better then.

We are converts from DCL and are taking our first RCL cruise in a few weeks. The savings for that cruise was almost $2000 and we get an extra nights sailing. If I look at the cost of RCL and compare to the price I paid I would bet I could have saved a few dollars if I had waited but I know I have save much more than a few dollars by not sailing DCL so I'm very happy. Plus, I don't have to wonder which cabin I will get, I already know.

Its all in the way you look at it. Your not saving as much as you could have had you waited but your saving a crap load from booking DCL. I'm still kind of surprised though that as your a TA you would not have a handle on this stuff regardless of what you normally book for clients. Someone sometime must have asked you for comparisons.

I ALWAYS book as early as possible to snag a favorite location or cabin. Then I watch

up until final payment for price drops, which sometimes does happen and I can

get the lower price...but in the last few years...seems it rarely does.

Most of the cruise dates I have booked have gone UP dramatically...not down.

After final payment? I have the most fun then...as I look for price drops to upgrade

to a higher cat...but that has not happened much lately either.

I will continue to book early.

I would never ever use you as a travel agent if that is your advice to never book early. Your a travel agent and just gave horrible advice......K.O.:rolleyes:Also your suppossedly a TA and your on cruise critic ASKING for advice about your booking? It's laughable.

Thanks! YOU'RE a veteran forum member and being a jerk to a newbie. That's pretty sad. Rest assured I won't be asking questions on these boards anymore. Thanks for the encouragement 😘😘😘

Thanks! YOU'RE a veteran forum member and being a jerk to a newbie. That's pretty sad. Rest assured I won't be asking questions on these boards anymore. Thanks for the encouragement 😘😘😘

No need to judge an entire website by one post.

:eek:

:)

Its all in the way you look at it. Your not saving as much as you could have had you waited but your saving a crap load from booking DCL. I'm still kind of surprised though that as your a TA you would not have a handle on this stuff regardless of what you normally book for clients. Someone sometime must have asked you for comparisons.

Actually I get very few requests for RCI which is why I chose them for my family, so I could learn more and then sell more. It's not that I don't "have a handle on this" I was having a really bad day and it just slammed me. I get it, it's fine, I've moved on but now I get to read all about how horrible of a TA I am. That's awesome......

No need to judge an entire website by one post.

:eek:

:)

You are absolutely right, my apologies. Because of the other posts we upgraded and are very excited about that. That might not have happened if I didn't come here to LEARN. Thank you to the encouraging posters, it's truly appreciated. Junior suite here we come!! 👍🎄😊

I ALWAYS book as early as possible to snag a favorite location or cabin. Then I watch

up until final payment for price drops, which sometimes does happen and I can

get the lower price...but in the last few years...seems it rarely does.

Most of the cruise dates I have booked have gone UP dramatically...not down.

After final payment? I have the most fun then...as I look for price drops to upgrade

to a higher cat...but that has not happened much lately either.

I will continue to book early.

We're going to book a couple key cruises early, but I'm going to try for some last minute deals in 2018

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We always book early as well but now that I see some of these prices for late November and early December I am thinking I might have to change for the end of 2017. Easier said than done however as I am a planner:p

Impending retirement is going to make cruising last minute easier

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Once you make your final payment. That's it. Final. No, cash refunds; however, you might snag a cabin upgrade. Just ask. All cruise line frequently discount after final payment to sell off any remaining empty cabin; not give refunds to currently booked passenger. That doesn't make any business sense. You could have waited and booked after final payment, but you didn't. However, if you waited 1) the ship might have been sold out 2) last minute airfares could be sky high which negates any savings or non-preferred air schedule 3) you wouldn't have gotten the cabin the wanted 4) you might not have gotten your dinning preference. So, there is no penalty in booking early. When you book early you are paying a premium to get want you want; not what's left over. I know it frustrating, but that's just the way the travel industry works.

Please realize it is not the date you make your final payment, but the date the final payment is due to the cruise line. I often pay in full when I book. I can make changes, get refunds, etc up to the date that the cruise line has for final payment. After that date is when you can't get money back but may be able to upgrade for nothing or at a nominal fee.

Hi Thetrail... Actually in may of 2014 (BOGOHO #1) and for a year or so after that it was horrible advice but today it's great advice, and I have posted several prices I've attained Prior to BOGOHO#1 and over the last year after final payment that were much better than day 1 itinerary roll out that everyone seems to think is the best price possible but is not (my jewel, navigator and adventure sailings were less $ than original offering). It will not apply to every ship and sailing (Like first prices for harmony which I booked day #2) but a good number of sailings. Also take a Look at the current going going gone flyer.

There's been plenty of posts lately of people Asking advice about getting OBC or Refunds from RCL because they've had price drops after final Payment.

I know how you feel!

I lost $800 on my first leg of a back to back and $300 on the 2nd leg.

I can't upgrade as I have a JS B2B and all other suites are gone.

Not happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How are you losing money. Aren't you getting exactly what you paid for?