taxi.... rip off

spearmint

We always take a cab from Hyatt Place on 17th. Then on return take a cab back to Hyatt Place. I've never thought to ask what the fare is. I assumed it was around 5 or 10 dollars. Just for the convenience of going when I want and the driver handling the luggage we always hand him a $20. I'll be doing the same in 21 days!!

We always take a cab from Hyatt Place on 17th. Then on return take a cab back to Hyatt Place. I've never thought to ask what the fare is. I assumed it was around 5 or 10 dollars. Just for the convenience of going when I want and the driver handling the luggage we always hand him a $20. I'll be doing the same in 21 days!!

I generally figure $20 is a small price to pay for the convenience even if the ride is short. Of course I have had taxi rides that were a fair amount over $20. :rolleyes:

2 weeks ago we got off the Coral in Port Everglades and needed a taxi to the airport (3 miles away.) I knew from the posts here that the cost would be $14 plus tip. So we were ushered to a taxi. I asked the driver how much it would be...he responded $20! I said, No, it should be $14. He said "OK we will see what the meter says". Well, of course it was $14. He acted sheepish about it. We gave him a $20 and called it even.

Yes, we just spent $$$$ on a cruise and that was our choice. But I do NOT want to be ripped off no matter how small the amount. It is the principle of the thing...I want to be treated fairly as I am sure that driver does too. We are always willing to pay for good service and are generous tippers. Just don't try to rip me off!

Edited by BopRN

Let me get this straight--Some of you who have spent thousands on a cruise are upset about a $10 taxi ride and are even willing to schlep luggage blocks and blocks in jungle heat and humidity? Really????? :eek::rolleyes:
I'm not upset about the cost of a $10 taxi ride. But as long as we are able to manage our luggage without much trouble, the walk does us good. Early in the morning is not that bad even in Fort Lauderdale, but we're from North Carolina and are used to heat and humidity. A lot of times we can walk it in less time than it would take to wait in the taxi queue.

Is this the Renaissance that is right across the street, or one that is farther? I wouldn't have given more than the $10 if it was the close one.

Its the one across the street at 17th/Eisenhower.

For those of you who say you walk to the Renaissance, do you go along Eisenhower Blvd. or take the sidewalk on the water side? I was trying to use google maps to see where things go, but it is difficult to know the best route.

We cross at the light by Walgreens then walk on the pier side of Eisenhower to the entrance.

We are staying at the Renaissance. We will be on the Island, but the Royal Princess will also be in port. Obviously if we are at terminal 21 or whatever it is, we will be taking a taxi, but from 1 or 4, I'm thinking walking is a good option unless I take too much luggage.

Thoughts?

I agree it makes it a lot easier to walk if you can handle the luggage.

Last time we walked they were loading up the shuttle from the Renaissance and we beat the shuttle to the pier.

Thanks for the info. I didn't even realize the Renaissance had a shuttle. We are only coming in, so we didn't expect any of the hotels to pick up at the port. Like geoherb mentioned, sometimes it is nice to walk to/from the port, even with luggage.

Two new embarkation and disembarkation ports for us. San Pedro and FLL. We may do some walking at both.

Thanks for the info. I didn't even realize the Renaissance had a shuttle. We are only coming in, so we didn't expect any of the hotels to pick up at the port. Like geoherb mentioned, sometimes it is nice to walk to/from the port, even with luggage.

Two new embarkation and disembarkation ports for us. San Pedro and FLL. We may do some walking at both.

The charge was $7pp. I am sure it has probably gone up. :(

Take the cab and pay the poor guy and give him a tip. Cheaper than NY and cheaper than being robbed at gunpoint and better than a walk in the Heat and Humidity. It's a fair price considering he has his own equipment leased to the co and gets a % of what they make.

So true. Everyone has to earn a living in a fair manner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bottom line to the OP....

Pay the ten bucks or walk with all your bags from the ship to the hotel.

Would you rather do this than paythe cab drive an extra four bucks????

Cannot believe how petty some people are. Sounds to me like it have more to do with the four bucks than it does with the principle. Or is it really $3.50?

Edited by iancal

Has anyone else been ripped off? This is a first for us. The taxi in question was one of several basically white with a wide blue stripe on the sides, ours being a Crown Victoria.

On the conclusion of our first Princess cruise last April, we took a taxi, from the ranks outside the terminal, to the Hilton Marina, which hotel is really close to Port Everglades. After loading the luggage into the trunk, and us into the car, the driver informed us that the cost would be $10, so I agreed although I thought it odd. We were already loaded into the vehicle, it was the first in a line of similar cabs and I figured that the driver was (correctly) counting on us not to get us and our luggage out of the cab and take the next one. Upon arrival at the hotel, the meter read a little over $5. I tip, but not that much.

Related question: How much is a normal tip for a cab? I have never known. For everything else, one tips !0-15%. Even at 20%, the guy only deserved a bit over a buck.

We are back on Regal next week, and now wonder if it is going to happen again. Is this cab company noted for overcharging the meter?

Bill

I understand why you questioned the actions of the taxi driver and I understand why you would find it troubling. On my port call in Halifax, our taxi driver was disappointed that our destination was the nearby Citadel. The driver was trying to sell us on a tour. When I declined, he responded to our conversation with single word replies...he was not pleased that his return for his time was minimal. It left me upset as well. Luckily he was the exception and every other Canadian we encountered, including the return taxi driver, were friendly and helpful.

Hopefully the replies you have been given have left you with a more positive feeling.

Use Uber or Lyft. It's easy because it's cashless and you know exactly the fare beforehand. We only had a 5 minute wait at the port for our ride .

I don't care for the Fort Lauderdale taxis, from now on its Uber/Lyft for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can vouch for this, i only had a 2 minute wait from hotel to pier on embarkation day prime time. Though i did miss a step taking a taxi from pier to airport and got ripped off( The monetary doesn't matter, it's just that the taxi tried to make a fool out of ya)

I can vouch for this, i only had a 2 minute wait from hotel to pier on embarkation day prime time. Though i did miss a step taking a taxi from pier to airport and got ripped off( The monetary doesn't matter, it's just that the taxi tried to make a fool out of ya)

I dislike taxis for the same reason. I do not mind paying a decent amount and giving a good tip, but it really upsets me when they long haul you. Its not just in Fort Lauderdale of course.

I think this is a big reason Uber is doing so well.

As to the OP, I fully understand and support the taxi driver on this one - he did the right thing in pointing out the minimum fare. They do have to sit in a long line at times at the port. This minimum makes it worthwhile for them and thus there are more taxis when we need them.

Actually, I am glad to note that there is a minimum fare, as it makes me feel better about taking a short trip - I would give him at least $10 anyway.

Edited by DaveOKC

It's a $10 minimum.

We had a side-2-side cruise, where we needed to go from a Carnival ship to a Royal Caribbean ship at Port Everglades and were told that it's a $10 minimum (3 minute trip).

No, I am NOT walking with suitcases when I'm on vacation. If I can't afford those 10 bucks, I should've stayed home.