Hey Hey ! We are going on a cruise!!!

kbar425

We'll be celebrating our 30th anniversary!! And first time cruisers! We don't go until May 6, but, I'm so excited, I don't know how I will make it ! Yes, I'm nervous: i'm a bit claustrophobic, but, we did get a balcony and i'm worried about if I panic because " I can't get off when I want". But, I'm sure It'll be fine. My sister and her husband are going as well and a couple of others. We are on the Carnival Freedom. Excited about learning from this forum.

My husband and I are leaving on Nov 27 aboard the Pride to celebrate our 30th anniversary!

I'm not excited. More nervous.

It's the first big trip we have taken alone.

I just feel like i don't know what to expect and that is making me nuts!

We also have a suite with a balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome both to the world of cruising. I will not try to tell you not to be nervous. I will tell you the ship is a large floating city. Most of the venues on the ship are large. You will feel like you are dining at a nice restaurant or attending a show in a theater. The staff on the ships are so friendly. Make the most of your anniversary, meet new people, try new foods, play some quirky trivia games. But most of all enjoy your time. They days will pass quickly and you will soon find yourself looking for the next cruise to book.

Hello Both and welcome to the wonderful world of cruising.

Hope you both have a very enjoyable time. As others have said, Lots of the time,you wont even know your'e on a ship. Loads to do ,if you want, or simply relax and do nothing. Happy cruising. :)

We'll be celebrating our 30th anniversary!! And first time cruisers! We don't go until May 6, but, I'm so excited, I don't know how I will make it ! Yes, I'm nervous: i'm a bit claustrophobic, but, we did get a balcony and i'm worried about if I panic because " I can't get off when I want". But, I'm sure It'll be fine. My sister and her husband are going as well and a couple of others. We are on the Carnival Freedom. Excited about learning from this forum.

Welcome to Cruise Critic...take a deep breath, you will be fine! Happy anniversary.

Just fyi...I suffer from anxiety disorders too and I do pretty well onboard the ships there are lots of open areas! :D

Edited by shadow8800

My husband and I are leaving on Nov 27 aboard the Pride to celebrate our 30th anniversary!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and to your very first cruise! Ahh, the excitement and jitters of your very first cruise. I remember that feeling. Some advice to keep in mind, though you probably won't follow it. Keep your expectations at a moderate level. Try real hard not to over pack. Don't try to participate in everything on the ship, or you'll wear yourselves out. Do try different foods that you might not otherwise try at home. On Embarkation Day, take time to explore the ship and familiarize yourselves with where things are, particularly where various food venues are. On our first cruise, we had been on board three days before we discovered the Omelet Station. You never forget your first cruise. I hope it's a great for you.

Welcome to both of you to Cruise Critic and cruising.

Once you all have taken that first cruise, you will be hooked.

Welcome! I remember our first cruise like it was yesterday. I had wanted to go on a cruise for a long time and finally came up with a plan. I told my wife I wanted to take her on a cruise to celebrate her birthday. It worked! :D She was so nervous and I was so excited. Only a day or two after getting home, she was already talking about booking another cruise!

Since then, we have been on a few cruises to celebrate our anniversary. The most recent was in August. We celebrated our 50th anniversary on a 14 day Alaska cruise. It was fantastic!

Cruising is a great way to travel. Smooth sailing and happy memories.

First off, when you board the ship you feel like you walked into a luxury hotel not a ferry. The atrium is expansive and the ship is massive. Sure, you can't get off when you want but you will find that you will notice less and less that you are on a ship. This isn't a small vessel.

Remember over 6,000 people live and sleep on this ship. They all need room to sleep, eat, walk etc. That is a lot of space.

Your excitement will overwhelm you and until someone reminds you that you are small space you won't give it a thought. Even entering your cabin you will have the sea to see from your front door. Walk out onto your balcony and you will see the enormity of the water beneath you and you will be overwhelmed by the beauty.

Technically you can get off it is just a long first drop. :eek: Too long to want to do without a bungee cord.

welcome to cruise critic and congrats on booking your first cruise and your 30th anniversary. Our first cruise was also for our 30th..

I, too, am claustrophobic. Getting a balcony room is a good idea. I find with a balcony we have extra room and a 'way out' of the room. You can see the water from inside the room and it's wide open when sitting on the balcony watching the water go by.

Good luck and have a great time.

One word of caution - Cruising is addictive!!! :eek::D

Congratulations on your 30th! This cruise is going to make a great memory for you--and as someone else said, cruising is addictive, so be prepared for starting to think about your next cruise before you get off this one. :)

One thought for all new cruisers: the perks that come from accumulating sea nights on a particular line really do add to the experience. For example, reaching elite level on Celebrity gets you free drinks every night from 5:00 to 8:00 (or thereabouts) in a special lounge--that's a nice perk. Becoming Diamond on Royal Car. gets the same perk. If you're elite on Celebrity, that also applies to Royal ships and you get Diamond perks--and vice versa. Check out your Carnival perks and evaluate accumulating sea nights and what you'll get for sticking with them--not for now, but for the future cruises you're going to take.

Congratulations on your 30th! This cruise is going to make a great memory for you--and as someone else said, cruising is addictive, so be prepared for starting to think about your next cruise before you get off this one. :)

One thought for all new cruisers: the perks that come from accumulating sea nights on a particular line really do add to the experience. For example, reaching elite level on Celebrity gets you free drinks every night from 5:00 to 8:00 (or thereabouts) in a special lounge--that's a nice perk. Becoming Diamond on Royal Car. gets the same perk. If you're elite on Celebrity, that also applies to Royal ships and you get Diamond perks--and vice versa. Check out your Carnival perks and evaluate accumulating sea nights and what you'll get for sticking with them--not for now, but for the future cruises you're going to take.

I agree that perks are nice but in reality they cost a lot (through many cruises) so may not be worth the expense. I suggest cruising on the line you prefer (may need to try a few types and then as the cruises build up, the perks will come.:D

• 3 weeks later...
Back from our first cruise and despite the one day of rough sea we are hooked!

Can't wait to do it again!

I saw your original note about being nervous...glad it went well for you! Now you are hooked...welcome to the club!!