ON Board Snobbery!!

davenew

Would you class this as snobbery or just plain rude, on Azura this year a table of 6 at dinner (turned out he had worked all his life for a bank in London, he also helped on the Audits at Harrods)

After the introductions he said they were on 2nd cruise was this our 1st I replied didn't keep count exactly but around a dozen -A look of horror went over his face and replied "what are you, a retired bank robber"

I ignored it but have to say in all those cruise's its the only time I have come across it personally, but have heard staff being spoken to very arrogantly, we felt so sorry for one poor waiter in the smash and grab that we went and praised the waiter for his patience and if he needed a witness we would support him, (we had great service from this waiter for the rest of the cruise)

Edited by TOMOGP

Only experienced what I would call inverted snobbery. On our Caribbean cruise on Azura in February we had a table for 6, second sitting in the Oriental restaurant. Our table companions were a lovely couple from Preston and another very vocal couple from Yorkshire. They couldn't have a conversation with us without telling us how much money they had and how much Black Lanson champagne they had delivered to their cabin. They were very rude to us all, she told me to shut up one night when I was offering sympathy to her husband who said he hadn't been well during the day. She criticised us for sharing a bottle of wine over dinner, saying that it was ridiculous to drink so much. Her husband asked us to excuse her bahaviour as she had drunk 6 vodka and tonics during the afternoon. It didn't spoil our cruise at all, we were very amused by it all. This was the only time in all our cruising history that we had experienced anything like it. Our September cruise on Britannia more than made up for it, we shared a table with two lovely couples who helped make the holiday brilliant.

On my last cruise, on freedom dining, the wife of a couple on our table one night asked where my friend's and my husbands were! She clearly felt single women were an abomination and offered her condolences when we said we didn't have husbands! She then went on to compound the insult by asking if we were mother and daughter!! There is only 6 years difference in our ages.

It was just us either - I heard from other solo women who met her that her first question to them was what had they done with their husbands!

Not that I ever get upset about rude/snobby/weird people. I either ignore their comments or, if I feel like it, wind them up:D

I would of said we are married to each other.

A lot of these posts reinforce why we moved from Club to Freedom dining. On our first 3 cruises (Club dining) we had superb table companions whose company we enjoyed very much and dinner became a highlight of the day. We bumped in to one of the couples (20 years older than us) on a subsequent cruise and enjoyed lunch with them catching up on what we had all been up to since we last saw them.

Then we had a number of cruises in a row with poor table companions. Not unpleasant people, but poor conversationalists. Questions such as "Did you have a good day ashore" were met with one word answers "Yes" or conversations were contained within their travel companions. Dinner started to become a chore and I stopped enjoying it, so our last 3 cruises have been Freedom Dining and we dine on our own.

It's a shame because good dinner companions can make a cruise, but I'm no longer prepared to risk it.

Sharing tables with strangers is also alien to what we do in normal life. I wouldn't go into a restaurant and when the waiter pointed me towards a nice table for two, say to him that I would prefer to join that family over there - the couple with tattoos and piercings whose children are running riot around the table. Now I appreciate that, to many people, that's downright snobbery. No problem as far as I'm concerned. I choose who I share my expensive holiday with. They would probably dislike my company as much as I would dislike theirs. :D

Sharing tables with strangers is also alien to what we do in normal life. I wouldn't go into a restaurant and when the waiter pointed me towards a nice table for two, say to him that I would prefer to join that family over there - the couple with tattoos and piercings whose children are running riot around the table. :D

That's very true! It is completely opposite of normal every day life isn't it. It's nice to meet new people though isn't it,,I just talk to anyone and everyone on a ship but when I go in a cafe at home I wouldn't dream of going and asking if someone minded if I sat at their table with them:eek:

We've been now on over 20 cruises and have always opted for the same sitting - 2nd sitting, table of 8. I can honestly say we've never had a such a bad table that we needed to change. In all our two week and over cruises we've met such lovely people. In most of the shorter 3-7 day cruises our companions have been good - one exception. A couple of years ago we decided to go on Aurora just to see what she is like as we'd never been on her. (We loved her - off on her again in just over a week.) We live near Southampton so it's no hassle for us. We just did a 3 day trip. We were very late booking so we got our 2nd sitting but on a table of 6. The other four people were travelling together. One of the couples was lovely, very friendly and chatty. The other two were on their first cruise, encouraged by their friends to try cruising. Unfortunately the wife of the couple seemed to be determined to hate it all, particularly the food.

The first night she and her husband came down very late, we were already eating our first course. Her friends said they assumed they were not coming as they had spoken of going to one of the select dining restaurants. Anyway they arrived, moaning about the menu. The wife took one look at her starter and said, "I'm not eating that!" Her husband looked most embarrassed and the waiter immediately offered to bring her something else but she declined. She ate most of the main course, moaning most of the way through it, then said she didn't want pudding and left. Husband was much friendlier once she'd gone. The second night they didn't turn up at all and the final night their friends said they'd come down to the dining room with them but the wife had looked at the menu and said she'd go up to the buffet.

We were just waiting for our starters to arrive when they arrived. "The menu at the buffet was ghastly," she announced. She sat down, looked at the menu and declared, "This is no better!" However, she did choose something and she did eat it.

I must admit if it had been a longer cruise we would probably have asked to move but this one occasion in over 20 cruises was not enough to make us want to change to Freedom Dining. We would really miss the social side of Club Dining. It's good to be able to go down to dinner and hear what the others have been doing without having to exchange names, where we've cruised etc. every evening. I realise many people prefer Freedom Dining but it's not for us.

Always gone Freedom dining and never really had a problem. If the conversation isn't great or they are just talking to their partners, then the four of us do the same. But we also have the option of a table for four or two. I like the flexibility. I'd hate to be on an early sitting and have to get back from a day out, early to get ready for dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've been now on over 20 cruises and have always opted for the same sitting - 2nd sitting, table of 8. I can honestly say we've never had a such a bad table that we needed to change. In all our two week and over cruises we've met such lovely people. In most of the shorter 3-7 day cruises our companions have been good - one exception. A couple of years ago we decided to go on Aurora just to see what she is like as we'd never been on her. (We loved her - off on her again in just over a week.) We live near Southampton so it's no hassle for us. We just did a 3 day trip. We were very late booking so we got our 2nd sitting but on a table of 6. The other four people were travelling together. One of the couples was lovely, very friendly and chatty. The other two were on their first cruise, encouraged by their friends to try cruising. Unfortunately the wife of the couple seemed to be determined to hate it all, particularly the food.

The first night she and her husband came down very late, we were already eating our first course. Her friends said they assumed they were not coming as they had spoken of going to one of the select dining restaurants. Anyway they arrived, moaning about the menu. The wife took one look at her starter and said, "I'm not eating that!" Her husband looked most embarrassed and the waiter immediately offered to bring her something else but she declined. She ate most of the main course, moaning most of the way through it, then said she didn't want pudding and left. Husband was much friendlier once she'd gone. The second night they didn't turn up at all and the final night their friends said they'd come down to the dining room with them but the wife had looked at the menu and said she'd go up to the buffet.

We were just waiting for our starters to arrive when they arrived. "The menu at the buffet was ghastly," she announced. She sat down, looked at the menu and declared, "This is no better!" However, she did choose something and she did eat it.

I must admit if it had been a longer cruise we would probably have asked to move but this one occasion in over 20 cruises was not enough to make us want to change to Freedom Dining. We would really miss the social side of Club Dining. It's good to be able to go down to dinner and hear what the others have been doing without having to exchange names, where we've cruised etc. every evening. I realise many people prefer Freedom Dining but it's not for us.

We have only done freedom dining, wouldn't want to risk being stuck on a table for the entire cruise with people we couldn't hit it off with. I have never come across anyone I would consider a snob, but I have shared a table with moaners and on very rare occasions someone who has been rude to the waiter, both of which I hate. If the menu is not to my liking, I will just order from it, eat it, and enjoy the company

For any newcomers reading this can I put this into context. We have done 30+ cruises on second sitting table for 8 and we have never come across anyone we could not get on with. In all our cruises I have only come across 2/3 'snobs'. So they are a bit of a rare breed.

I do enjoy them however. I have great fun with them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

yes Dai, agree. We always do second sitting, table for 8. Never had a bad table. In fact, mostly great tables, full of fun and enjoyment.

I too would agree on this. It is interesting meeting different people from all backgrounds and interests. It sometimes takes a bit of finesse to get to the end of the cruise comfortably.

Regards John

There has always been snobbery on cruise ships and dont see any reason why it will not continue. Cruisers who use Cunard look down on P&O and here are those on P&O that look down on Thomsons.

I have sailed with Cunard a few times but only Britannia, and on just one occasion on a table for six the gentleman on my left decided whenever ladies joined the table all the gentlemen should stand. I was fine with this and spent the entire voyage bobbing up and down. Strangely it bewildered my daughter as well as a young lad from Liverpool who had to join in. Neither seemed to know what was going on initially.

Regards John

I have sailed with Cunard a few times but only Britannia, and on just one occasion on a table for six the gentleman on my left decided whenever ladies joined the table all the gentlemen should stand. I was fine with this and spent the entire voyage bobbing up and down. Strangely it bewildered my daughter as well as a young lad from Liverpool who had to join in. Neither seemed to know what was going on initially.

Regards John

I would probably have told him he was on the wrong cruise line and should try Cunard ;)

We are on the next Britannia cruise and would be interested in knowing which were the Formal nights?

First 3 sea days and Tuesday (Antigua) of second week. Marco Pierre White menus on firdt and last nights. However in the Oriental restaurants some guests dressed like formal night every night which Imho defeats the object.

I would just like to say that I have travelled on Cunard, P&O, Hebridean Island Cruises (a six star cruise line) and Seabourn (another six star cruise line) and I certainly do not 'look down' on anyone whatever cruise line they have travelled with.

It also does not matter to me where someone comes from, how they speak, or what they wear to dinner (unless it is classed a 'formal night' and they turned up in jeans and t-shirt! :p).

What matters in life is how each individual human being treats another one.

Politeness (as in a gentleman getting up from the table when a lady arrives which is an old custom but still adhered to by some) or a smile and thank you to someone who opens a door for you, etc, etc, is what is important in life. I try not to judge people before speaking to them and, if I do not particularly take to their manner, I politely move on. I don't then moan to just about everyone I can about how dreadful that person was. You don't know what they're going through in their life do you?

You have only one life (most people believe) and should try to go through it treating everyone with respect.

I would just like to say that I have travelled on Cunard, P&O, Hebridean Island Cruises (a six star cruise line) and Seabourn (another six star cruise line) and I certainly do not 'look down' on anyone whatever cruise line they have travelled with.

It also does not matter to me where someone comes from, how they speak, or what they wear to dinner (unless it is classed a 'formal night' and they turned up in jeans and t-shirt! :p).

Politeness (as in a gentleman getting up from the table when a lady arrives which is an old custom but still adhered to by some) or a smile and thank you to someone who opens a door for you, etc, etc, is what is important in life. I try not to judge people before speaking to them and, if I do not particularly take to their manner, I politely move on. I don't then moan to just about everyone I can about how dreadful that person was. You don't know what they're going through in their life do you?

You have only one life (most people believe) and should try to go through it treating everyone with respect.

Couldn't agree more. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are absolutely right. We have been lucky enough to have never had a bad table companion though some have been better than others and we still keep in touch with some that we got on really well with.

We should all bear in mind that that we don't know everyone's circumstances and perhaps we should be grateful for what we have ourselves rather than putting other people down.

I recently was on a cruise ship and a man from London wanted to ask us Americans about our political American views.

RIGHT AWAY.... I said, "I prefer to not discuss politics over dinner". I will change over to another dinner table if you all want to discuss American Politics." The conversation was changed right away.

We have shared tables with a lot of Americans over the decades and fortunately none has ever discussed politics. We have overheard political conversations (proselytizing would be a more accurate description) by Americans at neighbouring tables. Those speaking the loudest have always had right-wing views. The last time we sat with an American couple (it was on a Cunard crossing) they said to me at the first dinner: "We don't discuss politics, but if we did you might be surprised that we are quite left-wing - for Americans that is." We got along very well. It turned out that they were Anglophiles and they loved Canada as much as Britain. We never discussed politics at all. There is so much to talk about that does not involve politics.

Edited by david,Mississauga
clarification

We have shared tables with a lot of Americans over the decades and fortunately none has ever discussed politics. We have overheard political conversations (proselytizing would be a more accurate description) by Americans at neighbouring tables. Those speaking the loudest have always had right-wing views. The last time we sat with an American couple (it was on a Cunard crossing) they said to me at the first dinner: "We don't discuss politics, but if we did you might be surprised that we are quite left-wing - for Americans that is." We got along very well. It turned out that they were Anglophiles and they loved Canada as much as Britain. We never discussed politics at all. There is so much to talk about that does not involve politics.

Strange that I have always found its those with left-wing views who are the more verbose, but of course that's probably because my views are right of centre.;)

However we were on a cruise during the Brexit vote and it was one of the main dinner time topics, so it was difficult not to discuss politics, but despite strong views on both sides, we were able to have civilised discussions without any rancour whatsoever. And without any hint of snobbishness.

Strange that I have always found its those with left-wing views who are the more verbose, but of course that's probably because my views are right of centre.;)

Agree 100%, which is why the pollsters keep getting it wrong! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums