ON Board Snobbery!!

davenew

Hello everyone. Thankfully, on all of our cruises, we have only come across 2 cases of snobbery.

The one that sticks out the most was in a queue for the future cruise bookings.

A very nice couple from Wales were at the desk booking a cruise,when the booking had finished,they walked away from the desk but were stopped by the woman waiting next in line. She actually had the nerve to say to them. "How can you afford to book another cruise so soon after this one, aren't you from Wales" The man replied" I might be from Wales but at least we Welsh have good manners" I thought this was a very quick retort. We were astounded that she had the cheek to do this. Happy cruising

Hello everyone. Thankfully, on all of our cruises, we have only come across 2 cases of snobbery.

The one that sticks out the most was in a queue for the future cruise bookings.

A very nice couple from Wales were at the desk booking a cruise,when the booking had finished,they walked away from the desk but were stopped by the woman waiting next in line. She actually had the nerve to say to them. "How can you afford to book another cruise so soon after this one, aren't you from Wales" The man replied" I might be from Wales but at least we Welsh have good manners" I thought this was a very quick retort. We were astounded that she had the cheek to do this. Happy cruising

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] that really is outrageous, but I bet that couple tell the story often. A great retort too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Ehg

I do think that no-one should judge someone without actually knowing them.

If we had reported on every daft, silly, arrogant, common or snobbish remark we have heard or experienced over 15 years of cruising we would have a book!

Happy cruising. :)

On a similar note if I got judged solely on every daft thing I had ever done or said on cruises or off I'm sure I'd be in trouble!

That said some people can be quite objectionable, it's not always what they say but the manner in which they do it.

When you get a cross section of people together you will get a cross section of behaviours including the less desiresble ones such as boasting, being ostentatious, not observing hygiene requirements, being noisy, smoking on balconies, queue jumping, being an 'ist' of some description etc.

Thankfully everyone who comes here is normal [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I recently was on a cruise ship and a man from London wanted to ask us Americans about our political American views.

Interesting, I was on a cruise recently at a table for six, usually an ideal number IMO. Two American couples and us Brits. And what was the conversation (among the Americans) American politics. So we sat through a week of dinners listening to opinions about politicians we had never heard of, or had any interest in. Attempts to change the subject died the death very quickly and they were off again.

We have dined with some wonderful table companions over the years, but boy have we paid the price with some stinkers, like the Scottish guy who dominated the table and talked over anyone who tried to get an edge in. Later he said to me about a nice young diner "yon lassie dinna have much to say for herself"

DAVID.

I recently was on a shuttle to get to the cruise ship. It was a shared van. I met a German lady who bragged about living in Germany. She did all the talking about her life in Germany and how proud she was. When we arrived at the cruise port in L.A.,California, the Old lady said to me. "I don't want you to look for me on the ship because I don't want you to spend time with me". She thought she was better than me. LOL. I just said to her, "don't worry... I don't want to spend time with you either.". I was laughing that I just had met a racist old lady. None of my business to change her attitude. I never saw her again. LucyR.

Aren't there 4 ships now named Mein Schiff? I'm sure she would be very happy on there. Birds of a feather and all that. Somehow I don't think I would.

On my latest Celebrity cruise my mum and I sat with 2 couples one evening

When asked by one of the men where we are from we replied Scotland but live in England now, he started going on about how lucky we are to have escaped Scotland, the English should build a wall and keep the Scots out etc. He then started on the other couple who were from Manchester about how awful that was - in great detail

We then got "attacked" on Nicola Sturgeon.

It went on and on and on - deriding Scotland and Manchester in turn - he clearly had no social filters as he could simply not pick up that no-one found his remarks funny, and efforts to change the conversation didn't work. His wife was an enabler who encouraged him and laughed at every insult.

Finally my mum could take no more - we were at the end of the meal - and told him that she found him very insulting, and the Manchester couple immediately agreed and backed her up. He said it was just his sense of humour to which we replied that it wasn't funny and he didn't know us and all he had done was thrown insults - at that point they left

They were shown to our table on another night but when we saw each other they asked to be changed.

All his insults were delivered with a superior smirk.

Interestingly when I asked where he was from he mentioned a lovely town which I happen to know and asked him which part - and it turned out that they didn't live there at all but about 10 miles away in a less salubrious area.

He was a total snob!

Fortunately mostly you meet nice people on cruises!

and then you get reverse snobbery. We were once on a cruise on a table for 4. Our first cruise and knew no better. Very small ship as well. The man on our table was from Liverpool. My husband is a Londoner and went to a public school. This guy took the p**s out of him for 3 days, including formal night when he mentioned his "penguin suit". In the meantime, we had met a lovely couple who we had drinks with and lo and behold, the other couple on their table had left to join some friends, so they said why don't you join us. Think someone was smiling on us. We are still friends with the second couple.

My huband is a perfect gent and would never be rude to anybody. I am not as soft as him and I told the couple how delightful it was that we would no longer be joining them for dinner!!

Edited by jeanlyon

On my last cruise, on freedom dining, the wife of a couple on our table one night asked where my friend's and my husbands were! She clearly felt single women were an abomination and offered her condolences when we said we didn't have husbands! She then went on to compound the insult by asking if we were mother and daughter!! There is only 6 years difference in our ages.

It was just us either - I heard from other solo women who met her that her first question to them was what had they done with their husbands!

Not that I ever get upset about rude/snobby/weird people. I either ignore their comments or, if I feel like it, wind them up:D

On my last cruise, on freedom dining, the wife of a couple on our table one night asked where my friend's and my husbands were! She clearly felt single women were an abomination and offered her condolences when we said we didn't have husbands! She then went on to compound the insult by asking if we were mother and daughter!! There is only 6 years difference in our ages.

It was just us either - I heard from other solo women who met her that her first question to them was what had they done with their husbands!

Not that I ever get upset about rude/snobby/weird people. I either ignore their comments or, if I feel like it, wind them up:D

I vote for the second option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sharon, that's just unbelievable. Our single friend travels with us and we go into dinner with my husband one on either arm. We get comments about that too! So we usually find something funny to say like "whose turn is it tonight?" "Oh it's Tuesday, it must be me!!

We are taking a solo traveller with us in March 18... she has never been on a cruise, wanted to try one but was a bit scared going on her own for the first time. She wants to use us as a " security blanket" but to act as if she is on her own as far as possible. If any comment is made to her on those lines, I wouldnt like to be in the shoes of the person making them!

Sharon, that's just unbelievable. Our single friend travels with us and we go into dinner with my husband one on either arm. We get comments about that too! So we usually find something funny to say like "whose turn is it tonight?" "Oh it's Tuesday, it must be me!!

'There's nothing as queer as folk'

It's all part of the entertainment as far as we're concerned, but have been on both adult only and family cruises with P&O and have to say it's very rare.

Keith (Southend)

Anyone advocating someone for diversity training is rather too pc for my taste, and would therefore be on my table exclusion list.;)

Totally agree....Most of us are just sick and tired of always having to be "PC," or we are called terrible names. You can't even simply disagree with someone without being called a name.

So if the elderly woman didn't want to sit with dongos or whatever she called them, that's her prerogative and perhaps her loss. In a way, it's kind of funny. Have you noticed that some elderly people don't have a wide "filter" and just say whatever they want?

Totally agree....Most of us are just sick and tired of always having to be "PC," or we are called terrible names. You can't even simply disagree with someone without being called a name.

So if the elderly woman didn't want to sit with dongos or whatever she called them, that's her prerogative and perhaps her loss. In a way, it's kind of funny. Have you noticed that some elderly people don't have a wide "filter" and just say whatever they want?

There's no "like" button on here so will just have to do this - [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like it :D

On an Aurora cruise to north cape we were watching the scenery and the subject of Orcas came up. I explained the wonderful experience I had on a previous cruise where a pod of Orcas were feeding on a bait ball not 100 yards from the ship. 'What ship was that' he asked. Thomson Spirit says I. He glared at me and turned smartly on his heel and walked away without uttering another word. I call that snobbery. Not that it matters as we will all be equally dead one day!.

You were a bit slow there. I would have said 'the Royal Yacht' :D

I find that saying " oh I usually go to Benidorm" shuts the snobs up nicely! I do actually go to my beloved Benidorm several times a year,,it's my spiritual home:D I find it hilarious,,I let them think I'm a drongo and just wait for the usual questions,,which I just give random answers to,,depending on how much wine I've had and what mood I'm in! I don't care what people do, where they are from, how many cruises they've done on what ships,,it matters not,,you're on holiday, you're not dead, you're not at work,,just flipping enjoy yourselves. If that makes me a drongo so what:rolleyes: The most entertaining folks I've met on a cruise was a builder and his wife who do 8 a year cos he worked all his life and never had holidays and now they live it up every chance they get,,proper salt of the earth Yorkshire folks that made me cry with laughter at their tales from the ocean waves. Closely followed by Alan and Yvonne who we met on the Thomson Dream in August this year,,they were awesome,,we worked our way through the cocktail menu very efficiently.

On-board snobbery is in my experience usually very fake, people seem to take on some sort of self-appointed superiority, based on an archaic loyalty scheme which only adds encouragement. Generally they are all ordinary people, who have led ordinary lives, and live in ordinary homes. The fascinatingly rich (and I use the term encompassing all aspects of life) generally are the down to earth, non judgemental people, who attract friends like magnets and have a smile for anyone, irrespective of perceived background or financial wealth.

I find that saying " oh I usually go to Benidorm" shuts the snobs up nicely! I do actually go to my beloved Benidorm several times a year,,it's my spiritual home:D I find it hilarious,,I let them think I'm a drongo and just wait for the usual questions,,which I just give random answers to,,depending on how much wine I've had and what mood I'm in! I don't care what people do, where they are from, how many cruises they've done on what ships,,it matters not,,you're on holiday, you're not dead, you're not at work,,just flipping enjoy yourselves. If that makes me a drongo so what:rolleyes: The most entertaining folks I've met on a cruise was a builder and his wife who do 8 a year cos he worked all his life and never had holidays and now they live it up every chance they get,,proper salt of the earth Yorkshire folks that made me cry with laughter at their tales from the ocean waves. Closely followed by Alan and Yvonne who we met on the Thomson Dream in August this year,,they were awesome,,we worked our way through the cocktail menu very efficiently.

You are the kind of people we like to meet on holiday. Just loving life and being happy we can have lovely holidays.

On-board snobbery is in my experience usually very fake, people seem to take on some sort of self-appointed superiority, based on an archaic loyalty scheme which only adds encouragement. Generally they are all ordinary people, who have led ordinary lives, and live in ordinary homes. The fascinatingly rich (and I use the term encompassing all aspects of life) generally are the down to earth, non judgemental people, who attract friends like magnets and have a smile for anyone, irrespective of perceived background or financial wealth.

You mean the 'Mrs Bucket' type...:)

Keith (Southend)

On our last cruise we felt like "Billy no mates".

We requested a table of six, were alicated a table for four but only us two ever turned up.:(

It was a lovely table over looking the wake and as we were sailing in Norway the views over finer were fabulous.

On Azura in 2012 - We had 2 sea days then we missed docking in Gibraltar as the Captain said the sea was too rough so we had another sea day.

Next port off call was Alicante, heard on the jungle drums a few days later that a couple disembarked in Alicante as they deemed "P&O too up market for their tastes "...

Make of that what you will...