"This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life"

Unfortunately, when you prepay or allow gratuity charges to your account it is distributed however the company sees fit, not you or what you may intend. This is a general statement decoupled from any survey. However you succumbed to guilt in rating mediocre service as being excellent and unable to be improved on, so it won't be. This is a disservice to yourself and other guests in the long run

Bottom line is we are told on lots of threads that poor scores mean no tips to crew so if i got substandard service i would not pay full stop.

I will always speak up if service is not good enough but if i leave gratuitys i am not then going to give poor scores because i respect what the crew do for us and i will give top scores like a lot of posters say so my money is going to them.

If service was poor on a regular basis i would use another cruise line.

44 cruises and counting.

How many more times do you need to read posts in threads that tell you anything less than 10 is a bad score?

44 cruises and counting.

Agree, a score of less than a 10 is a bad score. No argument. That wasn't my question to you in my previous post. Again my question to you (as you failed to answer my question) was who told you within RC if you give a waiter, assistant waiter or cabin steward a rating of less than 10 on your PCS that employee will not get their gratuities that they already worked for prior to you submitting your PCS as you have posted before in another thread and now this thread. I did a search and found back on January 2017 and March 2017 you claimed this happens but you provided no evidenced that your post is an RC policy.

Edited by davekathy

So if i gave 5 RC would keep my prepaid gratuitys and the crew would lose out?

The survey is unfair but my tips are for crew not company

What you rate doesn't affect how gratuities are handed out.

Agree, a score of less than a 10 is a bad score. No argument. That wasn't my question to you in my previous post. Again my question to you (as you failed to answer my question) was who told you within RC if you give a waiter, assistant waiter or cabin steward a rating of less than 10 on your PCS that employee will not get their gratuities that they already worked for prior to you submitting your PCS as you have posted before in another thread and now this thread. I did a search and found back on January 2017 and March 2017 you claimed this happens but you provided no evidenced that your post is an RC policy.

I believe the many other posters who have said this on good authority and have been asked personally many times in our 44 cruises with- RCI,Princess,P&O NCL and Sun cruises to write it on the paper reviews you put in the box by Guest Services and now the electronic version and thank you for taking an interest in my posts.

We always prepay or autogratuity tips as well as giving on average an extra $200 per 7 night cruise on top.

The crew are always fantastic but the fact my wife and i have worked in high stress jobs all our lives if something has not been right i will mention it on board but if nothing less than 10 or previously excellent is required so my tips go to the crew in full well 10 it is and anyone who is excellent i will name them personally.

44 cruises and counting.

What you rate doesn't affect how gratuities are handed out.

IMO they all deserve 10 and you are the first to my recollection that says that.

I name top performers as they deserve that on their profile if they go for promotion.

44 cruises and counting.

IMO they all deserve 10 and you are the first to my recollection that says that.

I name top performers as they deserve that on their profile if they go for promotion.

I am quite surprised that you consider concierges who "don't get back to you" as they commit to, and wine waiters who you consider "incredibly slow and everyone was complaining" as being perfect, and unable to improve, which a top rating of 10 obviously indicates.

Clearly you use a different rating scale to myself. I can only wonder what you consider warrants a 9.

I am quite surprised that you consider concierges who "don't get back to you" as they commit to, and wine waiters who you consider "incredibly slow and everyone was complaining" as being perfect, and unable to improve, which a top rating of 10 obviously indicates.

Clearly you use a different rating scale to myself. I can only wonder what you consider warrants a 9.

No questions were asked about the consierges.

Look i told the maitreD at the time and he said he would sort it,end of matter.

This was only a 3 night cruise that i booked to get us to Diamond+ and. the last 2 nights we paid for Giovannis and everything was fantastic.

Many posters have said that if the crew don't get 10s they are penalised and i prefer to give people a chance and i prepay my gratuitys on the understanding that they are going to the crew and if i thought they weren't i would ask for them back.

Another cruise another fantastic time so hey ho roll on our next cruise in June.

44 cruises and counting.

I believe the many other posters who have said this on good authority and have been asked personally many times in our 44 cruises with- RCI,Princess,P&O NCL and Sun cruises to write it on the paper reviews you put in the box by Guest Services and now the electronic version and thank you for taking an interest in my posts.

We always prepay or autogratuity tips as well as giving on average an extra $200 per 7 night cruise on top.

The crew are always fantastic but the fact my wife and i have worked in high stress jobs all our lives if something has not been right i will mention it on board but if nothing less than 10 or previously excellent is required so my tips go to the crew in full well 10 it is and anyone who is excellent i will name them personally.

44 cruises and counting.

I've never heard of any crew being docked their gratuities for not getting a 10 on the survey.

Think about it for a minute.

With all of the people cruising do you honestly believe that everyone gives all the staff a 10...not going to happen, yet these crew keep returning to work at Royal contract after contract. Our last cabin steward was on her 8th contract with Royal. If they were getting docked the gratuities for every person that did not rate them a 10 there is no way any staff would ever return to Royal.

While I'm sure the ratings are important and do play a part in the crews ability to be promoted (have more tables, more cabins, different job) I'm sure that the prior pushing of wanting all 10's was to raise there overall average and not achieve an actual perfect 10 rating which would be very unlikely.

All I am saying is once you give that money to the cruiseline, it's up to the company how they distribute it, not up to you as the guest. You may as well rate them honestly because they are asking for feedback so they know what works and what is not working. Did you ever have someone ask you for feedback on something and then when you give it they stop you and say no, no, I meant only positive feedback and compliments; please nothing less than excellent??? Saying everything is perfect encourages status quo way of doing things. You will never see an improvement giving 10's out of a sense of guilt or obligation.

I do know waitstaff receive score cards based on an amalgam of metrics, including, but not limited to, survey scores. Whether that is used to withhold gratuity I can't say, I only know it's up to the company to decide how and when they distribute money.

Look i have explained enough and you have no right to demand an answer off me as i have already posted it.I only bother with these posts to give my honest opinion and to use my experience of 44 cruises in a helpful way.

44 cruises and counting.

All I am saying is once you give that money to the cruiseline, it's up to the company how they distribute it, not up to you as the guest. You may as well rate them honestly because they are asking for feedback so they know what works and what is not working. Did you ever have someone ask you for feedback on something and then when you give it they stop you and say no, no, I meant only positive feedback and compliments; please nothing less than excellent??? Saying everything is perfect encourages status quo way of doing things. You will never see an improvement giving 10's out of a sense of guilt or obligation.

I do know waitstaff receive score cards based on an amalgam of metrics, including, but not limited to, survey scores. Whether that is used to withhold gratuity I can't say, I only know it's up to the company to decide how and when they distribute money.

If i felt any guilt or thought my money was not being used appropriately i would stop the gratuity and join the hundreds who do that and give cash tips personally to who i want.

44 cruises and counting.

If i felt any guilt or thought my money was not being used appropriately i would stop the gratuity and join the hundreds who do that and give cash tips personally to who i want.

44 cruises and counting.

You gave perfect scores out of a sense of guilt that someone would be penalized if you didn't and then say you did no such thing.

You gave perfect scores out of a sense of guilt that someone would be penalized if you didn't and then say you did no such thing.

No i am just a nice guy who is prepared to give anyone a chance even replying to you.

44 cruises and counting.

No i am just a nice guy who is prepared to give anyone a chance even replying to you.

44 cruises and counting.

Please don't act like I'm the "bad guy" for pointing out the obvious. Do you want all feedback, or only complimentary?

Bottom line is we are told on lots of threads that poor scores mean no tips to crew so if i got substandard service i would not pay full stop.

Well, they're wrong. I don't care if a million people tell you anything less than a 10 hurts them. In that case, a million people would be wrong.

Look i have explained enough and you have no right to demand an answer off me as i have already posted it.I only bother with these posts to give my honest opinion and to use my experience of 44 cruises in a helpful way.

44 cruises and counting.

Off topic, but did you know you can create a signature so you don't have to type "44 cruises and counting" in every post?

Please don't act like I'm the "bad guy" for pointing out the obvious. Do you want all feedback, or only complimentary?

Personally it does not bother me but getting a little bored now.

44 cruises and counting.

Well, they're wrong. I don't care if a million people tell you anything less than a 10 hurts them. In that case, a million people would be wrong.

Off topic, but did you know you can create a signature so you don't have to type "44 cruises and counting" in every post?

I don't type it at all it was my signature on profile and wondered why it keeps showing.

44 cruises and counting.

44 cruises and counting.

Chill out. I wasn't demanding. I was asking for an answer. All I was asking for was accurate info concerning your comments that RC holds back gratuities for a score of less than a 10 on the PCS. I've never heard or read that before. Yes, I've read a lot of post where cruisers elect to remove tips themselves for poor service. Your opinion on this specific issue is not the same as a fact. I believe we discussed this enough. Enjoy your upcoming cruises. :D

Chill out. I wasn't demanding. I was asking for an answer. All I was asking for was accurate info concerning your comments that RC holds back gratuities for a score of less than a 10 on the PCS. I've never heard or read that before. Yes, I've read a lot of post where cruisers elect to remove tips themselves for poor service. Your opinion on this specific issue is not the same as a fact. I believe we discussed this enough. Enjoy your upcoming cruises. :D

Thank you.

44 cruises and counting.

Thank you.

44 cruises and counting.

I have been told umpteen times from crew members on many cruise lines some in tears like another poster posted because the crew member had a lot of money docked.I always praise several crew members on the survey's otherwise i wouldn't waste my time filling them in otherwise.

Maybe some crew lie but i take their comments at face value just like posters who say the same things.

Thank you 31 days to next cruise, first as Diamond+.

44 cruises and counting.

It's especially amusing when they have gone to the effort of putting it in their signature and then remind you of it in the post itself . :D

44 cruises and counting.

It's especially amusing when they have gone to the effort of putting it in their signature and then remind you of it in the post itself . :D

Look for some reason it keeps popping up but hey ho i have done 44 cruises,44 cruises,44 cruises and had a fantastic time every time and been very fortunate to do 44 cruises 44 cruises 44 cruises.lol lol lol.

44 cruises and counting.

I have been told umpteen times from crew members on many cruise lines some in tears like another poster posted because the crew member had a lot of money docked.

Hook, line and sinker. ;)