Is Carnival super expensive or is it just me...

kwazi07

Hi everyone!

I'm looking at a Carnival cruise (possibly) for next March for a B2B of sorts or to replace my current cruise on Royal. However, Carnival is so expensive for me!

I booked a five night on a large Royal ship, with three guests in a balcony and two in an promenade (interior with a view) stateroom for $2900. This is over our spring break, so a little expensive.

However, when I look on Carnival for a cruise (preferably on a Conquest class or Magic), everything is really expensive for our same setup. Like, in the $4000 range for a six night on Conquest. And I can't find any rooms for five unless I look at Victory (meh) or a Fantasy class (been there, done that).

I really want to go on Carnival again! I enjoyed the zany design and the food. But why is is so expensive? Or am I just not looking in the right spots?

Hi everyone!

I'm looking at a Carnival cruise (possibly) for next March for a B2B of sorts or to replace my current cruise on Royal. However, Carnival is so expensive for me!

I booked a five night on a large Royal ship, with three guests in a balcony and two in an promenade (interior with a view) stateroom for $2900. This is over our spring break, so a little expensive.

However, when I look on Carnival for a cruise (preferably on a Conquest class or Magic), everything is really expensive for our same setup. Like, in the $4000 range for a six night on Conquest. And I can't find any rooms for five unless I look at Victory (meh) or a Fantasy class (been there, done that).

I really want to go on Carnival again! I enjoyed the zany design and the food. But why is is so expensive? Or am I just not looking in the right spots?

I don't know what weeks you are looking but a 7 day, in the first week of March typically runs us - excluding port fees - for 2 in a balcony $750 pp and for 2 in an inside about $500 pp. So about $3000 after you put in the fees.

I have also found that booking a year out gets us the lowest rates - in prime season like spring break prices don't drop.

Compare that to say 2017 pre-Christmas 5 day on Triumph - $589 pp for the balcony and $404 for the inside.

Expensive is relative.

I won't fly, so Galveston is my only home port.

My last several cruises I have sailed with a school or college aged grandchild, so high-priced season is my only viable choice.

Carnival is currently the best fit for my self-imposed circumstances, though I wouldn't spend the money if I didn't find it to be a good value.

Find what fits your circumstances. Book it, don't look back, and ENJOY.

I agree that Carnival is not always the lowest cost for a cruise. I am always looking for a price that I think is good for me. I have been on Royal, Norwegian and Carnival for my past three cruises. When I find what I consider a "deal" I jump on it. For example, darn it, a deal I missed out on because I waited one day too long. Norwegian Escape November 2017, $799 for a balcony cabin including my choice of two enhancements(I would have picked beverage and dining package). I think that is a killer price. I am so mad at myself for waiting that one day. It went from $799 to $999 in one day and no, I didn't book at $999. I will just wait until I see another "deal" that works for me. Even just typing this is making me cry!! I could have been booked for next November but now I am not.

Hi everyone!

The Magic should have deluxe ocean view cabins for 5 people. That's the only category on the Magic that can have 5 people in a cabin. Conquest class ships do not have cabins for 5.

Instead of a quint, look for a double and triple. Could be cheaper.

One Spring Break we did two doubles as a quad was almost triple the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I understood the OP's original post that is what he was pricing.

OP said they are booked on Royal in a balcony with 3 and a promenade with 2 and when they priced CCL using the same setup they got the higher pricing.

Of course I could have totally misinterpreted the post.

Bill

If I found another cruise line that was less expensive than CCL I would book it in a heart beat. We're booking the Pride in February 2018 because it's hundreds less than anything else (and only $100 more than it was when we cruised on her in 2012). Could have taken NCL out of NYC for $1100 more I suppose but being on a newer ship doesn't attract us and having "free" stuff that we wouldn't buy in the first place isn't a selling point for us (but even if we did buy drink packages we could buy a better package on CCL and still end up saving money).

But like I said, if we find a cruise line is less expensive then we'd book it in a heart beat.

Hi everyone!

It's supply and demand. When I see prices lowered, that's a clue that demand is down. Why would Carnival lower prices if it's selling well?

Is there a reason you want to go on Carnival? Why not go on the cruise that fits your budget?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think that answered your question.

If you're looking at more expensive cabins and looking at B2B cruises, you may find cabins cheaper on other lines, but also take note that amenities on board, often included in Carnival fare are extra on other lines. So price out or estimate all the options first. then choose the one that fits your budget and ideal itinerary for a B2B.

Keep looking and jamming 5 in a room usually limits you. Try 2 rooms. As we all know there are more variables to prices than you can imagine. Makes no sense sometimes. But i can tell you one thing to me carnival is almost always the cheapest if you could actually compare apples to apples. Keep looking and happy cruising

Spring break many ships are down to only a few rooms left, so prices go up dramatically. We booked our cruise for March back in Aug and the Magic was over 80% full already.

Carnival is usually cheaper than other lines... except when a ship is getting full, or popular dates, like holidays. Then they are in the same ballpark. I did try to compare cruises recently for a specific date, and another line looked cheaper, but once they added on the extra fees and port charges (Carnival site adds that on at the beginning on website) they ended up being more than Carnival.

you may find cabins cheaper on other lines, but also take note that amenities on board, often included in Carnival fare are extra on other lines.

I'm curious as to which amenities Carnival includes but are extra on Royal. I've been on both and aside from a nominal charge for room service from 12am to 5am, I noticed no difference in extra fees.

Sent from Tapatalk

I think that what you're seeing is a matter of timing -

When did you book your cruises on RCCL? 6 months in advance, or longer?

You're admittedly sailing during a peak time - spring break, when fares tend to be higher.

The Carnival fares that you are seeing are on ships that are nearly full, and only a few months, if that, in advance.

Had you compared prices at the time that you booked with RCCL, I'm pretty sure that you would have found that booking with Carnival would have saved you money. Without knowing all of your specifics, there's really no way of knowing for sure.

You just need to compare apples to apples. If anything, RCCL has a reputation for significantly higher fares, due to the demand for their mega-ships.

Supply and demand. Also depends on when you book. Our last back to back cruise in an interior cabin for 14 days for 2 people was around $2000 including taxes and port fees. One leg of the cruise was more than we would usually pay, but we wanted to do that particular itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Supply and demand. The ignorant who run to this board to troll on anything Carnival will try to portray that as some sort of negative but in reality it is a sign things are doing well for the line.

Everyone wants low prices but in the end the market sets it.

Hi everyone!

CCL consistently has the lowest prices for similar: ports/itineraries/class of ship & cabins for dates that I have checked.

I live in PIT, would likely fly to Baltimore lol. Fortunate that flights are relatively cheap and plentiful lately.:D. Nice to not have to do a road trip IMO

CCL has toned down the 'zany' decor but still a 'fun' ship.

Curious as to what class of RCCL, are you comparing same type of size/age of ship to be sure of an apples to apples comparison?:confused:

Edited by keishashadow

CCL consistently has the lowest prices for similar: ports/itineraries/class of ship & cabins for dates that I have checked.

I live in PIT, would likely fly to Baltimore lol. Fortunate that flights are relatively cheap and plentiful lately.:D. Nice to not have to do a road trip IMO

CCL has toned down the 'zany' decor but still a 'fun' ship.

Curious as to what class of RCCL, are you comparing same type of size/age of ship to be sure of an apples to apples comparison?:confused:

We're booked on Navigator, which is a Voyager class. It was built in 2002 and has the Royal Promenade, ice rink, flowrider, etc.

I'm mainly looking at the the Conquest class (specifically Conquest and Valor/Liberty if they release March rates). I feel that the classes pretty comparable in their spot in their respective cruise line.

I'm also looking at Magic which I know is one of Carnival's newest.

Sent from Tapatalk

If I found another cruise line that was less expensive than CCL I would book it in a heart beat. We're booking the Pride in February 2018 because it's hundreds less than anything else (and only $100 more than it was when we cruised on her in 2012). Could have taken NCL out of NYC for $1100 more I suppose but being on a newer ship doesn't attract us and having "free" stuff that we wouldn't buy in the first place isn't a selling point for us (but even if we did buy drink packages we could buy a better package on CCL and still end up saving money).

But like I said, if we find a cruise line is less expensive then we'd book it in a heart beat.

I agree with you. CCL always seem to be the cheapest whenever I am lookin g for a cruise. MSC have kids sail free and 2 for 1 sales at times which is pretty cheap. When I talk about expensive I would be referring to Disney. That's expensive.