Packing questions for long cruises

Mz11378

I am booked on back to back 21 day cruises - going solo

1/7/17 on Eurodam 21 day's - one day in FLL

1/28/17 ON Nieuw Anmsterdam 21 day's

so in essence that is 42 day's on the ocean

A little bit about myself 67 yr old male still very active and go to the gym to workout originally from bklyn ny - now living

in Haiti going on 5 yrs now - so this is a getaway of sorts - I have done 16 cruises but this will be my second solo - I really do not go to the MDR -well maybe on a rare ocassion - so mostly day time wear shorts T shirt - pool stuff - night I always wear a nice button shirt or nice polo and jeans or pressed pants with shoes for a show or music stuff or the bar - long way to get to my question - how should I pack meaning T shirts - nice shirts pants underwear for so many day's - can I get them cleaned and ironed is it expensive - just trying to not carry more then one bag

thanks

Mo

Both ships have the unlimited laundry -- you can call HAL and get the price for each cruise -- usually averages out to be about $7 a day.

Or you can get the laundry by the bag -- $20 -- stuff as much as you can in a bag.

Everything comes back washed and either on hangers or folded -- the choice is yours.

Depending on anticipated weather, gender and size, I guess, one can stuff quite a bit into the bag by rolling everything tightly, and the clean clothes are returned quickly, usually within 24/36 hours. I am a fairly small woman, but I usually pack workout wear and gym shoes in addition to aboard and excursion clothing. As a solo who lugs her own luggage, keeping it light is important to me. I find I can fit four days of clothing into the laundry bag.

Both ships have the unlimited laundry -- you can call HAL and get the price for each cruise -- usually averages out to be about $7 a day.

Or you can get the laundry by the bag -- $20 -- stuff as much as you can in a bag.

Both are good options. Being a guy of the same age, I would go with the $20/bag deal. Yo should be able to get 3-5 days of clothes into it.

I pack accordingly, so take about 5 days worth of clothes.

Edited by DaveOKC

In addition to ship services, I believe both ships you mention have self-service laundromats available.

Lots of choices.

The ships that the OP is sailing do NOT have self service laundries. They are only on the R & S ships and the Prinsendam to the best of my knowledge.

The wife and I was on the Zuiderdam earlier this year for 41 days. Laundry service was great! Didn't need to take nearly as many clothes. Will be on the the 1/29/17 cruise for 21 days and plan on taking less and using the laundry by the bag. With warmer weather clothes I believe the wife and I can stuff quite a bit in that bag for $20. On the Zuiderdam we received our clothes back the next day and a few times the same day. Excellent service.

Edited by bdfred

As a solo, it takes more days to fill a laundry bag than it does for two (or more) people. Consider this when you do the pricing for which (bag vs. unlimited) is better for you. Since you exercise, and will be in the hot Caribbean, you might like to toss things in a bag more often, even though the bag isn't full. Unlimited works beautifully for this. I have been known to toss in just one day's worth of things, and send the bag off.

If you do decide on going with the per bag option, then I would bring 7-9 days worth of daytime clothes & undies, and fewer evening clothes. Those can typically be worn more than once before being sent out.

Tagging on to OP's question:

For those who hand wash in their cabin, do you find there is enough air circulation/low enough humidity in your bathroom to allow drying in a decent amount of time?

And for solos who schlep their own checked bags, is it easier to do one large vs 2 small (roller + duffel)?

For those who hand wash in their cabin, do you find there is enough air circulation/low enough humidity in your bathroom to allow drying in a decent amount of time?

And for solos who schlep their own checked bags, is it easier to do one large vs 2 small (roller + duffel)?

I wash the odd delicate item and hang to dry. It's usually dry by the next day - mid morning to noon if I hang it up at night.

I'm not a solo, but I do schlep luggage. I don't like the luggage to be too heavy to make it easy to manage. If the large bag is heavy, then I prefer two lighter bags.

Try to pack for two weeks, and then repeat those two weeks for whatever the duration of your cruise will be. Considering the variety of weather.

I break an itinerary down between how many port days and how many sea days too, and allocate a few "port outfits" and sea day casuals. Then as a woman, I will plan on about two weeks of changes for evening MDR.

Then it is wash, spin and repeat. Quite honestly, men do have it much easier - fewer shoes and repetition of the basics. "Dressing up" for MDR dinner is my personal packing downfall. But as you stated, daytime casual will be just fine if you go to the Lido primarily.

Have fun, longer cruises are positively addicting. We figure for us it takes the first few weeks to unwind into the new cruise routine, and then at least two more weeks to be really, really on vacation. There is no such thing as getting used to this ... even after 364 total cruise days, it is always an adjustment time for us at the beginning of each cruise.

Each cruise is so different, mainly how the at sea and port days play out.

Have had problems getting things to dry in a timely manner but will depend on the temp in the room - leave the BR door open as this helps.

I have traveled with a rolling duffle and a roller carry-one for many years and just hook them together for easier 'wheeling' as I used to with my carry-on and briefcase. Always easier with 1 bag. The scanner at the terminal is not that big and it has to get through this or go to the stevedores. So do you want to be without everything until the duffle shows up in your cabin? The thing with 1 duffle is if something happened and it was not available right away.

Recommend about 8-10 days of clothes. Maybe bring a few extra shirts to prevent boredom.

Edited by take us away

That depends a lot on the fabric. I do a lot of hand washing and we have many garments of easy-care fabric, nylon travels pants, Exofficio underwear, silk pjs... the heaviest garments I wash are probably DH's button down shirts and his heavy socks, they take longer to dry but usually overnight from the afternoon works. We don't usually do much cotton, such a T-shirts or jeans.

I wring the excess water out, take a large towel and lay then roll the garment in the towel, then step on it on the bathroom floor to squeeze out the most moisture I can. Then I hang the garment either in the bathroom if it's lightweight, or for heavy items in the room, usually next the the bed is a set of hooks for bathrobes. I pack an plastic inflatable hanger - when blown up it has the advantage of holding the shirt from separated from the shirt back. I find the circulation in the room better than in the bathroom. If the garment is still a bit damp I might wear it that way for a bit of cooling effect, or hit it with the hair drier.

We've done this on very long trips, last one 48 cruise nights; previous trip was about 10 weeks, not all cruise night, much touring on our own or land tours.

I'm a small woman at 5'. I use a24" 4-wheeler that is usually about 45 lbs and I can set my shoulder tote on top of the suitcase with its back-strap over the suitcase handle and wheel both together. If the surface is going to be pretty rough - lots of sidewalks, curbs, cobblestones, railroad tracks etc., I'm better off carrying the shoulder tote on my back/across my chest so I can guide the suitcase up and over bumps and lips easier.

I like to have two pieces for flexibility - my shoulder tote never leaves me. If i'd have to check or separate from my case, there are things I want with me. I can not manage two roller bags or any size. m--

We pack for six days. There are two of us. Does not matter if it is a seven day cruise/AI or a three month land trip. We packed this way for a 14 and then a 17 day cruise. We send things out, we rinse them out ourselves, and we occasionally find a self serve.

Edited by iancal