Tips for tour guides

KarlChilders

Lord knows I hate to start another tipping thread, but I really have no idea what an appropriate tip amount is for tour guides. For instance, we are taking a led tour of the Chacchoben Mayan ruins. Any ideas/experience?

Edited by KarlChilders

Not sure why people feel the need to tip tour guides or drivers. These people are well compensated and not living off of your gratuities. If you fell like you need to leave something then no more than $5 is appropriate.

Last time we tipped a tour guide, it was for a private tour for just my wife and myself in Istanbul, and we had the guy for the entire day. He did what we wanted and we probably gave him about $50, that however is not the typical cruise ship tour with a herd of people.

On the typical tour you are one of a huge mass. If everyone on a typical tour gave the guide $5 that would amount to between $250 and $500. Not a bad days wage in the places where these tours take place.

Opps wouldn't it be 20/25 % of the tour cost.;):)

If the tour is $200, shouldn't it be $40/$50

That is what we do. Now we generally book outside of the cruise line, but the same applies regardless.

Most of time you will not be in a US port. Many countries such as Australia and Europe are not tipping countries so as the saying goes "when in Rome do as the Romans do". Research the ports / countries customs, it's so easy to do with all the search engines.

If the "guide" is simply the driver, with little interaction, then we don't tip at all....if the "guide" is personable, and adds to the enjoyment of the excursion, then around $5-10 is ample....

It really depends on YOUR experience! We've also been on tours where the guide is CONSTANTLY reminding you that they do accept tips...and I find that off-putting...they usually get less if they do that!

Tip what you feel comfortable with based on your experience and your budget.

After saying that, here is what I do. I tip a bus driver $5 and the tour guide $10 to $20 based on the length of the tour and the overall experience.

I do this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure why people feel the need to tip tour guides or drivers. These people are well compensated and not living off of your gratuities. If you fell like you need to leave something then no more than $5 is appropriate.

Last time we tipped a tour guide, it was for a private tour for just my wife and myself in Istanbul, and we had the guy for the entire day. He did what we wanted and we probably gave him about $50, that however is not the typical cruise ship tour with a herd of people.

On the typical tour you are one of a huge mass. If everyone on a typical tour gave the guide $5 that would amount to between $250 and $500. Not a bad days wage in the places where these tours take place.

I don't take those huge group tours. Usually choose something in a smaller group.

Opps wouldn't it be 20/25 % of the tour cost.;):)

If the tour is $200, shouldn't it be $40/$50

Well, I must say you are extremely generous...I would never tip that much. Maybe $5.00 or $10.00, nothing more.

If the "guide" is simply the driver, with little interaction, then we don't tip at all....if the "guide" is personable, and adds to the enjoyment of the excursion, then around $5-10 is ample....

It really depends on YOUR experience! We've also been on tours where the guide is CONSTANTLY reminding you that they do accept tips...and I find that off-putting...they usually get less if they do that!

My excursions 2 weeks ago in Cozumel (Isla Pasion) and Jamaica (Shaw Beach Escape), I dealt with the constant mentions of tips. I'll usually give something at the end of a tour but it became off-putting/frustrating to feel like I was supposed to make in rain in everyone's tip jar with those two tours. :(

It depends on a lot of factors...

Since we generally book private, I base it a lot on whether I am buying direct from the owner/operator (like we did in St. Thomas) - in that case he or she is seeing a lot more of the price than just a driver might. I'll usually offer to buy lunch in that case.

If its an employed driver, and they are a good and knowledgeable guide, I will typically tip the average hourly wage per hour in that area, figuring I am doubling that day for them.

Exceptional guides have warranted above and beyond, like our guides from RIL in Italy - they had VERY good days but they earned it (I think our combined vehicle of 8 tipped about 180 euros per day and no one felt that was unwarranted)

Like all tipping, do research on local customs and make a judgement call that feels right.

I'm curious why you think tour guides don't need tips and yet you tipped on $50? I agree, a lot depends on the situation, would prob do $5 at most for a big tour bus type tour vs we usually tip $20 for our group when we do small group tours (10 people or less)

All depends on your location. I usually tip between 5-10% of the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That percentage is very generous if your tour cost $200 pp.

We usually tip for a full day tour $10 to the guide if good and 3-5 for the bus driver.

Last year we booked a private jeep tour in Cozumel. Cost for a family of 4 was around $150. We tipped the tour guide $25. He was very informative, wonderful with my kids when they were snorkeling (their first time) and we really enjoyed ourselves. I thought he was very deserving. He said they get paid $8 per day for the tours. I'm not really sure what that equates to in the US but he seemed very pleased with his tip.

For a tour bus full of people I think a few dollars would be plenty.

My excursions 2 weeks ago in Cozumel (Isla Pasion) and Jamaica (Shaw Beach Escape), I dealt with the constant mentions of tips. I'll usually give something at the end of a tour but it became off-putting/frustrating to feel like I was supposed to make in rain in everyone's tip jar with those two tours. :(

I agree with you on this point...I have been on some excursions too where tips are mentioned constantly. That really just makes me angry and less likely to tip at all.

That percentage is very generous if your tour cost $200 pp.

We usually tip for a full day tour $10 to the guide if good and 3-5 for the bus driver.

Yes that would be, however $200 pp tour should be exceptional. I join private tours mostly. The big bus ones don't get that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk