Made to order sandwiches?

summersigh

We sailed on Westerdam last year, and they had made to order sandwiches in the Lido. This was a huge hit with my picky toddlers, so I hope we find nothing's changed when we sail on Rotterdam this week. I haven't heard that HAL stopped this... Anyone?

We are just off 66 days on the Maasdam. In the Lido they had 4 pre-made sandwiches that changed each day but they also had one roll that was just the roll, lettuce and cheese. Then next to it was several large platters with various sliced meats so you could make your own sandwich. Not like the old days but better than nothing.

We just did the Eurodam. Only pre-made. The bread was awful (doughy - think Wonderbread) and the sandwiches almost as bad. In general, I would rate the Lido on the Eurodam as a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 and the MDR as maybe a 5.

DON

On Amsterdam we had both a made-to-order station for sandwiches which could be toasted on a pannini press, and pre-made sandwiches which were very good.

Ech sandwich was on a different bread. I especially like the Pilgrim -rye bread with mayo, turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. The selection of 4 changed every day and there was an example to see plus the full description on the display card.

The pre-mades were available during lunch hours and after lunch hours. There were also breads and rolls and a platter of sliced cold cuts and cheese cubes, the selection of which changed daily too. m--

Ever since they changed to the Lido Market they only have pre made, which was all there was on our resent Maasdam cruise. I was not that impressed with them. There are varies bread, meat & cheese that you can make your own with. The old order your own sandwich bar is no more.

Allan

We just did the Eurodam. Only pre-made. The bread was awful (doughy - think Wonderbread) and the sandwiches almost as bad. In general, I would rate the Lido on the Eurodam as a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 and the MDR as maybe a 5.

DON

Not the case on the Veendam - too bad there is not consistent bread quality across the fleet - ours on the Veendam were delicious. There were also limited carving station sandwiches that were not pre-made. And as suggested, one could manufacture their own making stops and the bread, cheese, salad, deli meats, and relish stations. No PB&J however.

Edited by OlsSalt

Have been on both Prinsendam and Oosterdam in the last 9 months. Both have the Lido Market where sandwiches were ready made. On both, the bread was really good. Don't remember about the Oosterdam, but Prinsendam had a pannini press for toasting. I was a real fan of the made to order sandwiches and didn't think I would like the ready made, but they were better than I had expected. But this is a very subjective thing -- matter of taste.

I was on the Zuiderdam in October. There were premade and made-to-order sandwiches in the Lido everyday. There was even a carvery sandwich selection that was made-to-order every day.

Edited by ellieanne

I was on the Zuiderdam in October. There were premade and made-to-order sandwiches in the Lido everyday. There was even a carvery sandwich selection that was made-to-order every day.

I hope they still have the made to order this month :D

This is one area that Carnival is far superior to HAL. Most days DH would get a deli sandwich which was toasted on a pannini press - made to order.

Thank ya'll for the input ... I'll report back as soon as we return:)

I hope they still have the made to order this month :D

This is one area that Carnival is far superior to HAL. Most days DH would get a deli sandwich which was toasted on a pannini press - made to order.

Thank ya'll for the input ... I'll report back as soon as we return:)

I found the sandwiches on the port side of the Lido, towards the back end of the hot line, near the drink station. The pre-made sandwiches were first, then a selection of cold cuts and other fillings, bread and spreads. The carvery selection was closer to the hot line, and you may have to wait for someone to come from the hot serving line to make your sandwich.

I found the sandwiches on the port side of the Lido, towards the back end of the hot line, near the drink station. The pre-made sandwiches were first, then a selection of cold cuts and other fillings, bread and spreads. The carvery selection was closer to the hot line, and you may have to wait for someone to come from the hot serving line to make your sandwich.

I'll be tracking down those sandwich makin's :D Thanks ellieanne!

PS ... NOLA is one of our all time favorite cities to visit :D

Not a fan of the pre-made sandwiches as they usually put too many different ingredients/condiments on them. The made to order salads are good but I don't want one every day. Too bad they can't have one made to order salad and one sandwich station instead of two side by side salad bars.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam over Thanksgiving. They had both premade and made to order sandwiches. I'm not really a sandwich person but my significant other loved the fresh sandwiches. BTW - the food on this ship overall was excellent!

Helen

Sailing on the Zuiderdam soon - Am I correct in my understanding that there is no place in the Lido that does made to order sandwiches or subs? I've seen mention of ready made choices but not ordering what you desire.:(

we just got off the Veendam and they had a custom made carver of the day selection but they were also taking special orders, in addition to the premade which is still widely popular for a grab and go. Hope this helps you.

N. A. last winter. My husband was a huge fan of the made to order deli. We were very happy with the pre-made sandwiches. Between the 4 of us I think we tried them all. They were all very good - pleasantly surprised. We're on the Eurodam in 3 weeks - no doubt it will be the same.