Smoking On Your Balcony But Our Vacation!!

Ski-Lady

I applaud people who advocate for what they believe in, be it smoking issues, environmental issues, social issues.

I also believe it is imperative to state facts when putting forth an argument to advance the cause.

In this case, to use an example, the Star Princess fire cause has not been determined.

The problem with stating the Star Princess fire was caused by smoking leaves the person making the statement at a disadvantage as they may no longer have the credibility needed to sway opinion.

E.T.A. Link to the final report by Marine Accident Investigation Branch.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c706ae5274a4290000097/Star_Princess.pdf

Edited by WpgCruise

Only thing worse than having a smoker on a balcony is a smoker who smells like a dirty damp astray and boards the packed elevator.

I used to think that was the worst until a smoker joined my yoga class. All is fine until she starts warming up. The coughing starts and then the warmed up now-thirdhand (yes it is a thing...the residue on skin clothes hair etc is not healthy at all...I have a few friends who used to work making chips for Intel and it was easier to just not be a smoker bc if you were you had to fully shower then 100% change clothes underneath the clean uniforms they wore...if thirdhand smoke can damage chips it can damage us) smoke starts wafting through the room. It's awful. My asthmatic* lungs don't like it one little bit.

I'm glad she's in yoga. It will help her be healthier. I hope the coughing fits make her realize that she needs to stop. I wish there were a way to talk to her about it.

*thanks to my mom and dad who were smokers because of their parents and so on.

Tried to edit some of the information I posted but time to edit had expired.

I believe we may have been given some incorrect information by the crew during the 2006 Baltic cruise, post repairs after the fire.

I read the report of the fire that was posted by our expert and feel is should be required reading for all balcony smokers. And as I read the report, it still appears that someone's cig.....tossed, was the most likely cause of the destruction.

I applaud people who advocate for what they believe in, be it smoking issues, environmental issues, social issues.

I also believe it is imperative to state facts when putting forth an argument to advance the cause.

In this case, to use an example, the Star Princess fire cause has not been determined.

The problem with stating the Star Princess fire was caused by smoking leaves the person making the statement at a disadvantage as they may no longer have the credibility needed to sway opinion.

E.T.A. Link to the final report by Marine Accident Investigation Branch.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c706ae5274a4290000097/Star_Princess.pdf

Thanks for posting the final report. I just read it to refresh my memory and it appears that their conclusion was that the fire was most likely casued by a cig..

I need to hear from a doctor who can show me where second hand smoke from outside air can cause this. Because I'm disbelieving.

Is your partner very obese? If so, it is more likely the ocean/sea distilled water causing fluid retention in the lungs, not second hand outdoor smoke. Talk to a doctor if he's obese because cruising may not be the best idea due to the water on board being desalinated but not 100% salt free. Even the coffee can cause this issue.

I took a large buddy on a cruise and he had similar sissies but no medical emergency. He takes a plethora of drugs to control his health issues related to his obesity and two of the pills say no added salt and his doctor told him no cruises due to desalinated water leading to a risk of fluid retention.

Smoking in balconies is wrong. Those cruises were a-holes. But I am doubting they put him in a medical situation.

I assure you, it can happen. I have severe asthma and smoke will set me off. It only takes a few minutes for it to start effecting me. You can believe anything you want, but just because you can't imagine it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Any smoker who smokes in a non-smoking area gives up the ability to pat themselves on the back and label themselves as "considerate".

When the problem happened for a second time they should have stopped playing games and looked at how to properly accommodate and / or compensate you. When allowing this to continue costs RCI actual money you will see much stricter enforcement. Sorry for all of the troubles and hard time you had with your husband.

OP I'm sorry that you had to go through such a nightmare. I was on Sapphire Princess a few years ago and my neighbor was smoking on his balcony as we sailed from LA. I mentioned it to my cabin steward, who had already reported him to the purser's office. He kept smoking and got a visit from an officer, who told him that, upon a third complaint, he would be invited to sail on another line for the rest of his life. No more smoking. RCI needs to adopt the same stance, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, so sorry this happened to you. I think I physically would have went to their cabin. I wouldn't have put up with it. That is just unacceptable. Hope Jim is feeling much better. I just don't get these people who smoke on their balconies. If you're that addicted just stay home.
PHYSICALLY went to their cabin and what?....K.O.:confused:

Leaving from a US Port

While there might be justification for a smoking ban while in US waters, once outside that justification would end. A real stretch would be to claim jurisdiction in international waters, but certainly not in another country's waters.

Typically, "port state" laws are only applied to things that are external to the ship, i.e. air and water pollution, commerce (as far as local taxes, etc.), the "safety and good public order" of the port, things like that. Otherwise, "flag state" law applies. Even in criminal cases, when outside US waters, the US's jurisdiction only applies to US citizens, and only in international waters (in other words, where no one else claims jurisdiction). If you go back and read the transcripts or watch the video of the much vaunted "Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights" hearings in the Senate, you will find the Senators essentially asking the cruise lines what they would accept, because there really is no jurisdiction. CLIA voluntarily agreed to the Bill of Rights.

There is a reason that the cruise lines use the flags of Panama and Bahamas, and it is to avoid US regulation. Can the maritime lawyers in Miami get Jones Act protection for foreign crew on ships leaving from the US? They file cases for this all the time, and are never successful. Just because a foreign flag ship calls at a US port does not mean that all US laws apply to the ship, even while in that US port.

With regards to Australia, you introduce a whole new wrinkle there. Oz has cabotage laws similar to the PVSA, but they grant foreign flag ships waivers to do business in Oz if no Australian ship provides a similar service. One aspect of the waiver is that Australian crew has to make up at least the majority of the officers and crew (especially the deck/engine departments) and abide by all Australian laws.

While there might be justification for a smoking ban while in US waters, once outside that justification would end. A real stretch would be to claim jurisdiction in international waters, but certainly not in another country's waters.

Typically, "port state" laws are only applied to things that are external to the ship, i.e. air and water pollution, commerce (as far as local taxes, etc.), the "safety and good public order" of the port, things like that. Otherwise, "flag state" law applies. Even in criminal cases, when outside US waters, the US's jurisdiction only applies to US citizens, and only in international waters (in other words, where no one else claims jurisdiction). If you go back and read the transcripts or watch the video of the much vaunted "Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights" hearings in the Senate, you will find the Senators essentially asking the cruise lines what they would accept, because there really is no jurisdiction. CLIA voluntarily agreed to the Bill of Rights.

There is a reason that the cruise lines use the flags of Panama and Bahamas, and it is to avoid US regulation. Can the maritime lawyers in Miami get Jones Act protection for foreign crew on ships leaving from the US? They file cases for this all the time, and are never successful. Just because a foreign flag ship calls at a US port does not mean that all US laws apply to the ship, even while in that US port.

How does Australia influence Royal to change smoking policies on Ships sailing from their ports?? Do all their cruises remain in their waters??

Look, people should continue to complain. Best to start writing you Congress Person. We now have a Congress and WH run by one party.

I have already sent letter to all, to make it law, all ships sailing from US Ports should be non smoking..... (Regulation I know, but it will save money)

you have zero chance of that happening and your wasting your time writing your congressman with this issue?....K.O....:rolleyes:

How does Australia influence Royal to change smoking policies on Ships sailing from their ports?? Do all their cruises remain in their waters??

As stated above, in obtaining a waiver, RCI essentially agrees to make the ship, temporarily, a "de facto" Australian flag ship, if not "de jure".

This is what happens when someone just doesn't care about the rules. I think that it would have been appropriate for them to have been disembarked but obviously the staff felt differently (it may not even be an option). DW suffers from asthma and I recently had part of a lung removed for cancer (from my own stupid mistake of smoking for too many years) so we do try to avoid smoke at all costs.

Sorry to hear about your experience...

There are rules on the ship -- so not sure why your ship neighbors could not follow it.

What's the point of having a balcony if you cannot enjoy it...

Hope your husband is doing well...

As stated above, in obtaining a waiver, RCI essentially agrees to make the ship, temporarily, a "de facto" Australian flag ship, if not "de jure".

Interesting!

I am an ex smoker (gave up 20 years ago) - I'm happy to be free of the curse and expense of smoking. It is very expensive to buy cigarettes here now. I don't mind anyone else smoking as long as they respect non-smoker's rights.

Most people in Oz are used to and appreciate our non-smoking laws and I suspect there would be a strong commercial interest (and plenty of competition now) for RCI to comply if they want their share of the Oz market :)

Please don't crucify me but...

I do think that if there is a non-smoking policy on balconies, that it should be enforced.

But...

I am a smoker that does not smoke on our balconies, and do understand that cigarette smoke is not pleasant to most non-smokers. But just because there is the smell of smoke coming from somewhere, I have to wonder just how much of that smell actually carries the carcinogenics that hurt people. If you smell cigarette smoke on me doesn't mean carcinogens will jump off me. :p

I feel bad that the OP's husband has such a critical health problem that is set off by just the smell of smoke.

Smoking is not illegal, and we pay good money, therefore feel we should have an area to smoke in decent out of the elements designated areas.

While there might be justification for a smoking ban while in US waters...

Even that would be a stretch. I don't see how the federal government could enact a law specific to cruise ship smoking, especially in the outdoor spaces. Cruise ships aren't federal property. If anything, it would be the individual states who would have the power, not the federal government. And even then, that jurisdiction is only good for 3 miles (9 miles in some cases).

Please don't crucify me but...

I do think that if there is a non-smoking policy on balconies, that it should be enforced.

But...

I am a smoker that does not smoke on our balconies, and do understand that cigarette smoke is not pleasant to most non-smokers. But just because there is the smell of smoke coming from somewhere, I have to wonder just how much of that smell actually carries the carcinogenics that hurt people. If you smell cigarette smoke on me doesn't mean carcinogens will jump off me. :p

I feel bad that the OP's husband has such a critical health problem that is set off by just the smell of smoke.

Smoking is not illegal, and we pay good money, therefore feel we should have an area to smoke in decent out of the elements designated areas.

There is no "if"

Smoking is banned in all cabins and on all cabin balconies on all Royal Caribbean ships.

That is the relevant point.