Inside or not

soggy1975

Not sure I'll get a definitive answer to this but it'll be interesting to get some opinions

We're a family of 4 planning our 1st cruise next summer

I'm gravitating to an inside cabin to keeps costs down

I doubt we'll spend much time in the cabin outside sleeping as we plan to be either out on excursions or exploring the ship

So yeah or nay(yes or no)

Thanks

Not sure I'll get a definitive answer to this but it'll be interesting to get some opinions

I doubt we'll spend much time in the cabin outside sleeping as we plan to be either out on excursions or exploring the ship

Thanks

For me, no way.

A few reasons

1. No idea what it's like outside, some say put the TV on to ship cam to check, but that can be deceiving, really someone has to run up on deck and check

2. No idea what time it is.

3. Claustrophobic, if I visit someone in one, after about 10 minutes I am ready to get out

4. I want to see, hear and smell the ocean.

5. No natural light

6. Your balcony is a great escape.

7. I concede I do spend more time in my cabin than just sleeping, but I guess that'd change if I had an inside.

8. 4 in an inside:eek::eek:

I think it's fine! I've written about inside cabins here which might be worth a read: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/10/02/are-inside-cabins-claustophobic/

I don't think they're claustrophobic at all, often stayed 4 in a room with my family. Only problem is all wanting to use the toilet at the same time but you'd get that in every cabin...

It is annoying for a few reasons listed above, but for me the cost saving normally wins!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we have been in insides and OVs...no problem. Even on two-week cruises. My hubby prefers to sleep in total darkness (he used to work graveyard shift in emergency services so our bedroom has blackout drapes). but I do like to have the cabin TV tuned to the bridge cam after he falls asleep. We also will keep the light on in the bathroom for those middle of the night needs. We like to be out and about the ship as much as possible. We have never felt claustrophobic with three of us in inside.

It's a personal decision but it can mean some savings (which can be used for on board spending).

I vote with the insiders! We have never had issues with our inside cabins and don't feel claustrophobic at all! If we wanted to be recluses and stay in the cabin, why the heck even go on a cruise??? We enjoy the ship on sea days and the ports on port days. As you said, we are primarily there only to sleep or to get ready to go to dinner. Try the inside and see how you like it. I bet you'll do it again! ;)

Thanks

Personally, we (my wife and I are confirmed balcony lovers) BUT, our very first, was an inside because I wasn't even sure she'd even enjoy crusin' so after the first she said she was HOOKED our second was an balcony, and we've never looked back. So, TRY a cruise and see if you even like it, then maybe LATER...? :)) Like I said above, if this isn't you first and last, you can always explore the balcony alternative later :) Either way, give your cruise a chance and hopefully it won't be your last. Have FUN!!

Mac

My last inside cabin was in 1962. I am not claustrophobic but it felt like living in a closet. It is one of my few vivid memories of that cruise. I am one of those people who need light so if I cannot afford at least an ocean view, I don't go.

Our first cruise was an OV, then an inside, then a balcony and we thought we wouldn't ever change our mind. We went on two Med cruises with a balcony cabin and I would estimate we spent a total of about two hours on the first Med cruise and maybe an hour, all total on the 2nd 7-night Med cruise. We are going on a spur of the moment, couldn't pass it up deal for Christmas week and we took an inside cabin for 3 of us...my two daughters and me. This is (I think) our 16th cruise. We've done 4 adults (us and a friend) before and we had a ball. It was like a giant slumber party at night and we had a great time. We were pretty organized and didn't have any bathroom use issues. We have a cruise planned in June on Celebrity and chose an OV room. We really enjoy being on the pool deck during the day. At night, we're doing something on the ship or going to sleep. Just made no sense to keep paying for a balcony when we were only using it to hang a swimsuit out to dry on the back of one of the chairs.

I've almost always cruised inside. The two times I've gotten an OV was when I got an uber discount cause of where I worked or when the price wasn't much more than an inside. I've never gotten balcony, tho if I had a significant other and we wanted a romantic place to sit away from everyone I might. We always leave the TV on the outside cam at night, so it's just like a window in a way.

Out of several cruises on two different Cruise lines we have stayed in a inside cabin one time. And that time the Wife became sick. Of course she blames the cabin instead of an elevator button, a hand rail on the stairs, or a spoon handle in the buffet.

Me, having 48 years practice, I say Yes Dear and go with a Balcony or Ocean View Obstructed depending on the price. :D

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob

It depends on the itinerary too. A port intensive cruise might not be worth it to get a balcony. With a lot of sea days you might want to have a quite secluded place to relax for awhile. Destination is also something to consider, our first cruise was for our honeymoon so we did a balcony which was so nice and we've been hooked ever since.

After that we let the price help with the decision, if it was only about 200 more for a balcony we usually do the balcony. This next cruise we also opted for the balcony but a large deciding factor was we will be taking our 15 month old with us so I wanted to be able to sit outside while he naps and after he goes to bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would go to YouTube and look up videos of the cabin types on the ship(s) you are interested in. That will give you more perspective, I think, than a bunch of forum answers.

How old are all the members of your family? That may alter the advice you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me, no way.

A few reasons

1. No idea what it's like outside, some say put the TV on to ship cam to check, but that can be deceiving, really someone has to run up on deck and check

2. No idea what time it is.

3. Claustrophobic, if I visit someone in one, after about 10 minutes I am ready to get out

4. I want to see, hear and smell the ocean.

5. No natural light

6. Your balcony is a great escape.

7. I concede I do spend more time in my cabin than just sleeping, but I guess that'd change if I had an inside.

8. 4 in an inside:eek::eek:

Agreed 100%! I will take an outside, but prefer a balcony cabin.

I also would not book more than three people in a cabin, but that's my personal preference.

Never had a bout of seasickness until our last two cruises, which would have been cruise 14 or 15. Both times, it happened on the first evening only a couple of hours after we left the dock. Missed the first dinner, took a Bonine and was fine by bedtime and had no problems with the rest of the week. With the first cruise, I had decided it was standing in the heat, pressed up with everyone for the Muster drill after eating and did not think I had been seasick. When the same thing happened on the next cruise, I didn't know what to blame it on, other than I just got seasick. I'm not sure why it would happen after so many cruises without a hint of seasickness in the past and I had really only been in the cabin long enough to unpack. Both times I got sick, I had a balcony cabin and had been up on deck in the air, barely out of sight of land. I'm not sure it has to do with the cabin but you can be sure that for our upcoming cruise, I'll start taking Bonine the day before the cruise. My only thought on an inside cabin is that you can't just glance out and tell if it's daylight or the middle of the night. I think for anything other than a short cruise like our 4-day one this month, I'd prefer an OV, but can for sure do without a balcony.