Bug Spray?

LisaT91403

I've never done the Western route (Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel), and am wondering if I need to bring insect repellent. DH and DS(8) are doing zip line and "bobsleds" in Jamaica, and the shore excursion description on the Royal site says:

What to Bring:

• SeaPass card and photo identification

• Camera

• Sun protection

• Insect Repellent

• Cash/Credit Cards

• Towel from ship

• Insect repellent

They list insect repellent twice! I never would have thought to bring it if I hadn't read the description, but I'm wondering if it's actually necessary. Has anyone been bitten up in these ports? Thanks.

I had really good results from this product on my southern Caribbean cruise at the end of November. I found the recommendation on CC but bought it at my local Ace Hardware.

http://bugg-products.myshopify.com/collections/sporting-goods-outdoor-sports-camping-hiking-insect-nets-repellents/products/buggspray-insect-repellent-clean-scent-tsa-travel-size-2-x-3-4-fl-oz-1

I'd put on a gel sunscreen and then go spray this on out on the balcony before getting off of the ship. I HATE the scent of traditional DEET products but this was fine. No bug bites except a fire ant in St. Croix.

I figured since they keep finding new repercussions from Zika, better safe then sorry.

We got a fancy cabana at the suite beach at Labadee for our honeymoon a few years ago. I'm a mosquito magnet, but my husband can get away without a bite. I was swatting mosquitos the whole time in the cabana while he relaxed and napped quietly on his lounger. I had 10 (!) itchy bites by the end of the day. It's worth bringing something.

Weird and true fact- in MN, I am a mosquito magnet! When we go to the cabin on the weekends, I MUST wear big spray, or I get eaten up! However, I never wear it on cruises, and haven't been bitten once... I must not be the right flavor for the southern bugs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by vacationlover_mn

7 times to Barefoot beach over the years and never saw a mosquito (but cannot say I looked for them either).

Once some sand fleas, but none of the blood suckers.

After recently returning from Walt Disney World and staying at the Grand Floridian.............The resort provided a can of Deep Forest bug spray in the room for our use (ZIKA????).

Guess they bought a ton of it.

Never got a mosquito bite there, spider bite but not mosquito.

Safe travels.

We have purchased the Off Deep Woods Bug Repellent Wipes and now carry them in our camera bag, beach bag, purse and any other bag we will have with us when we are out and about. We just put a few in a sandwich size ziploc bag alongside another little bag with Wetones. They stay in the bag so we always have them with us, even at home. They don't take up a lot of space and we are always prepared. I too am a mosquito magnet so I would prefer to have them with me just in case.

Weird and true fact- in MN, I am a mosquito magnet! When we go to the cabin on the weekends, I MUST wear big spray, or I get eaten up! However, I never wear it on cruises, and haven't been bitten once... I must not be the right flavor for the southern bugs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What's that old saying about Minnesota? 10,000 lakes and

10,000,000,000,000 mosquitoes?

Bug repellent with Deet is being recommended more and more because of Zitka virus and some other virus Cheng? Not sure of exact name.

I believe you're referring to chikungunya: https://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/index.html

My family applied sun screen and then bug spray with DEET for every port we recently visited while on Liberty. Didn't notice any mosquitoes (we never went into deep jungle, e.g. Mayan ruins tours) but better safe than sorry.

I believe you're referring to chikungunya: https://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/index.html

My family applied sun screen and then bug spray with DEET for every port we recently visited while on Liberty. Didn't notice any mosquitoes (we never went into deep jungle, e.g. Mayan ruins tours) but better safe than sorry.

Thanks! Yes, that's the one I was trying to remember!

Hi.

Sailed on the IOS TA sailing last month.

We called at St Maarten, St Thomas, St Kitts, San Juan and Labadee.

I don't usually suffer from bites BUT I got bitten once in St Kitts and twice in San Juan. Labadee was our last call .. I didn't get bitten but I was swimming in repellent.

I would take/use some just in case. If you're anything like me bites will drive you crazy. Hate them.

Thank you all!

I've been on many Eatern Caribbean sailings, and a couple of Southern as well. No bites. No bites in Hawaii either. However, I am going to bring some repellent wipes, as I think it's a good idea for the zip lining excursion in Jamaica.

Zipped lined in St Lucia and never encountered a bug. Of course driving down to FLa, we stopped in Melborne for over night and could NOT find a vacant hotel. Finally found one,,, hotel number 5 that we stopped at that had a room. We used up all our bug spray in that hotel room!!! Gross, we used our own pillows and blanket from our car as no way was I sleeping in THAT bed!!.

Space launches can create a major problem when winging it:(