MSC has outpriced themselves

bltrn

My husband and I traveled with MSC (Divina) when they first sailed out of Miami. On our first voyage, we were in the Yacht Club Royal Suite. The following year, we were still in the Yacht Club, but a smaller cabin as the RS was already booked. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we were unable to travel the following year. When I was exploring cruises this year, I COULD NOT believe how expensive they have become for the YC. I knew once they got their foot in the door that their prices would skyrocket!

This year I was able to book on another line (not Carnival) that had a cabin larger than 16035 with all drinks included for less than half the price.

Have fun y'all!!

Of course I respect your opinion because everyone has different preferences. For my wife and I, the Yacht Club is the best experience we have had in our 22 cruises. We have tried Carnival and hated it so even if they offered us a great deal we would not take it. It's true that MSC prices have soared and they offer few, if any, deals for the YC. Still, even if it means we don't cruise as often as we like, we still prefer the MSC YC and all the things they include.

Edited by Danbee46

My husband and I traveled with MSC (Divina) when they first sailed out of Miami. On our first voyage, we were in the Yacht Club Royal Suite. The following year, we were still in the Yacht Club, but a smaller cabin as the RS was already booked. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we were unable to travel the following year. When I was exploring cruises this year, I COULD NOT believe how expensive they have become for the YC. I knew once they got their foot in the door that their prices would skyrocket!

This year I was able to book on another line (not Carnival) that had a cabin larger than 16035 with all drinks included for less than half the price.

Have fun y'all!!

Oh we will! After trying NCL you'll be missing the YC for sure! Are you going to be having those drinks in the private restaurant? Or by the private pool? Oh that's right - you're not sailing in the Haven, in which case you'd be paying much more than the YC. See you back here soon!

Did MSC outprice themselves, or did they just outprice you?

Edited by OzCanuck

OP, you're not in a suite, are you?

In looking at your posts it appears you are in an aft balcony. Correct?

Then, of course, it's cheaper. NCL is one cruiseline where I would always try for a suite. Their new ships are toooo crowded, can't ever get near the pools, etc (like MSC, I guess, that's why people book the YC).

MSC Yacht Club prices may have gone up in the past few years; I haven't been keeping track. But if you price Yacht Club cabin prices against NCL Haven or Celebrity's suites, I assure you MSC's prices are way, way lower.

You cannot compare the price in MSC Yacht Club to a NCL regular non-suite balcony. Of course NCL is cheaper in that case.

Out pricing itself? I doubt it, however, since I haven't sailed with MSC yet I can't take anything into consideration but the price which seems to be the only thing we're looking at here.

Comparing apples to apples ... large balcony MSC, aft location, NYE cruise, (begins Dec. 30th) less than half what a large balcony, mid ship on NCL Getaway similar time-frame (begins on Dec. 26th). (not sure what the aft balconies were going for since they're sold out)

Suites are difficult to compare which is why I stuck with balconies.

There are still "bargains" to be found on MSC, you just have to be flexible with dates. Being in Australia we tend to look for longer cruises (i.e. repositioning) on MSC in YC, as it is at least a 13 hour flight for us to the Middle East, or over 20 hours to Europe, so a 7 day cruise just does not cut it.

I am always checking the "specials" from MSC and have picked up cruises in YC for around AU$170 pp per night (US$120) which I think is very good value given the quality of the product.

True the Royal Suite prices have gone up dramatically but I think that is a question of supply and demand, the YC now a a great reputation and there are only 2 Royal Suites. I have been trying to book one for 2018 and am have trouble finding a vacant RS even this far out ...... I blame Cruise Critic for informing too many people of just how good MSC YC is!!!!!!

:p:p:p

I'm not sure where you are looking, but I'm still seeing MSC Divina as very 'cheap' compared to the mainstream lines.

Example:

Most dates in JAnuary and February I can book an aft balcony for right around $700 pp all in (with kids sail free). That's 4 in an aft balcony for under $1,500.

Aurea is running around $1,450 pp and YC is still LESS than $2,000 pp on every sailing but one (granted that is double what I paid last June, but $2,000 for the YC experience is a much better deal than Haven).

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Well people are bailing out on NCL for MSC because those who were diehards for the suites are tired of the high prices NCL is charging now too. I wouldn't pay the ridiculous prices either line is asking now for a suite. I don't spend enough time in my cabin to pay thousands of dollars. I will be happy with my inside cabin for $900 for a 7 day cruise and that allows me to do a lot more cruises every year. Saw the $900 price yesterday so we cancelled our Royal cruise and switched it to the Divina.

I think it depends on the a few factors, itinerary and time of year.

I just booked a fabulous trip leaving out of Venice for next year right before Christmas time. The hotels will also be inexpensive and I'm looking forward to seeing Venice in her Christmas dress.

Shop around, prices change, sometimes from one week to the next.

I still think MSC is the best deal out there.

Well people are bailing out on NCL for MSC because those who were diehards for the suites are tired of the high prices NCL is charging now too. I wouldn't pay the ridiculous prices either line is asking now for a suite. I don't spend enough time in my cabin to pay thousands of dollars. I will be happy with my inside cabin for $900 for a 7 day cruise and that allows me to do a lot more cruises every year. Saw the $900 price yesterday so we cancelled our Royal cruise and switched it to the Divina.

You're paying $900.00 total for 4 people in an inside, correct? I'm seeing $399.00 pp insides with kids sail free for most days in 2017.

I agree with Love: MSC is probably the best bang for the buck out there right now; but I do recommend people keep exceptions in line with the price paid. MSC has to be cutting corners somewhere to stay in business; to think otherwise is naive. This isn't to say it's a BAD product (I've sailed them twice and would do it again without hesitation); BUT if price was the same (or very similar) to mainstream lines, I'll be choosing them. Of course; there are others who are die-hard MSC fans so YMMV :)

Just booked 10 minutes ago. $1042 with all taxes for 3 in an inside cabin for 7 days.

$49 per person, per day. Gorgeous ship. All meals. Black card status. Added 18 drinks for another $89 and insurance for $82.

Yes, if you want the fancier accommodations and suite life, you pay up for it, but if you have a budget and want to sneak an extra cruise in for the year you can't beat the MSC deals. Royal Caribbean was DOUBLE the price even with their current kids sail free promo. Disney was $5900 for an inside for 3 for the same week. For the same price I could have had a 4 night cruise on an ancient Carnival ship. No comparison.

Edited by LMaxwell

Just booked 10 minutes ago. $1042 with all taxes for 3 in an inside cabin for 7 days.

$49 per person, per day. Gorgeous ship. All meals. Black card status. Added 18 drinks for another $89 and insurance for $82.

Yes, if you want the fancier accommodations and suite life, you pay up for it, but if you have a budget and want to sneak an extra cruise in for the year you can't beat the MSC deals. Royal Caribbean was DOUBLE the price even with their current kids sail free promo. Disney was $5900 for an inside for 3 for the same week. For the same price I could have had a 4 night cruise on an ancient Carnival ship. No comparison.

Which sailing did you book? I was looking at 3 total with 1 kids sail free and with taxes it was $1112.74. You can't beat the price with kids sail free and current promotions for last minute sailings. What discounts did you use?

You're paying $900.00 total for 4 people in an inside, correct? I'm seeing $399.00 pp insides with kids sail free for most days in 2017.

I agree with Love: MSC is probably the best bang for the buck out there right now; but I do recommend people keep exceptions in line with the price paid. MSC has to be cutting corners somewhere to stay in business; to think otherwise is naive. This isn't to say it's a BAD product (I've sailed them twice and would do it again without hesitation); BUT if price was the same (or very similar) to mainstream lines, I'll be choosing them. Of course; there are others who are die-hard MSC fans so YMMV :)

We have 2 people in the inside (ours was $349), we have sailed on MSC before, and my mother has done 4 cruises with them already. Personally I found them to be more similar to other lines than different. Passenger base was ruder IMO, as there were a large number of non-Americans onboard our sailing, in comparison to others. But overall I can't find 7 day on Carnival for $900, as personally I would take any cruise on any line for that price. I cancelled a $1250 cruise on Royal and switched to this one.

Every cruise line is cutting corners if you read the boards. I also will not pay the prices people pay for the Havens, Yacht Clubs, etc as the service isn't near that much better. If I want to pay those type of prices I might as well book a true luxury line instead.

Which sailing did you book? I was looking at 3 total with 1 kids sail free and with taxes it was $1112.74. You can't beat the price with kids sail free and current promotions for last minute sailings. What discounts did you use?

May 2017 to Puerto Rico and St. Maarten.

It took my Voyagers Card number; but can't tell if I got the 5% discount. Need to add my wifes Voyagers number so I will call them.

When I called my TA his prices totaled $50 more than MSC, even though he advertised a price $16 per person less than the MSC website.

I booked on the MSC website. I didn't have any coupon codes.

I went on this ship earlier year; 3 of us (kid free) in a Fantastica interior for around $1275-ish. This time we are doing Bella as the deck plans on the website say the room is the same size and now with Bella you can choose a room (last time it was guarantee only). Booked way aft again in a deck sandwiched between other decks. Close to rear elevators/buffet/pools, quiet hallways, and 5 steps away from the giant rear public balconies and exterior stairs no one knows about.

The price isn't just unbeatable for a cruise, it's unbeatable for anything to do with a family. For $150 a day for everyone where will I get three meals, a nice room, entertainment for my family with changing scenery?

May 2017 to Puerto Rico and St. Maarten.

It took my Voyagers Card number; but can't tell if I got the 5% discount. Need to add my wifes Voyagers number so I will call them.

When I called my TA his prices totaled $50 more than MSC, even though he advertised a price $16 per person less than the MSC website.

I booked on the MSC website. I didn't have any coupon codes.

I went on this ship earlier year; 3 of us (kid free) in a Fantastica interior for around $1275-ish. This time we are doing Bella as the deck plans on the website say the room is the same size and now with Bella you can choose a room (last time it was guarantee only). Booked way aft again in a deck sandwiched between other decks. Close to rear elevators/buffet/pools, quiet hallways, and 5 steps away from the giant rear public balconies and exterior stairs no one knows about.

The price isn't just unbeatable for a cruise, it's unbeatable for anything to do with a family. For $150 a day for everyone where will I get three meals, a nice room, entertainment for my family with changing scenery?

Thanks for the detailed information. We are very excited about our booking and came in at $1592 OTD for 3 of us in a balcony room with the Bella package on the 8th floor. Most cruise lines were $2200+ for balcony for 3 people total during my son's spring break. I booked direct and the lady gave me travelzoo rates along with 5% voyager discount. I just did the status match and turned in my Ruby card from Princess for it. I am on the March 4th sailing.

Edited by faiz23

Edit: Price of $1112.74 for interior was for the Fantastica package. We ended up changing to a Bella balcony for $1592.xx.