Why Doesn't Princess Have Staff Stationed Here?

MTJSR

In the world of companies using social media etc etc, to reach the largest group of customers and potential customers. I am surprised cruise lines like Princess don't have staff monitoring boards like Cruise Critic. What a great place to handle/correct (in a very public place) cruise issues or problems. Not to mention, support positive experiences with a big corporate thumbs up.

I would think this forum just might have more impact than a 3x5 card dropped in a barrel. Just a thought!

There are several boards on Cruise Critic where responses are posted from verified accounts belonging to staff/spokesmen of the cruise line (Celebrity, Azamara, Crystal, some other luxury and river lines). But if you peruse those boards you will see that their responses are limited to the "big corporate thumbs up" or suggestions where the member might go for a personal response. What more can be expected when answering a post from an anonymous member of an open-membership message board community? Remember that Cruise Critic rules discourage use of one's real name and contact information--so it this, or any other social media, the appropriate place to be posting "cruise issues or problems" while onboard? That is most likely why Princess does not respond (which is not to say they do not monitor); it is essential to take any issue directly to the source to be resolved--NOT the world wide web.

In the meet and greet on my last cruise we were told that these boards are indeed monitored by Princess, although they may not post information in them.

We were also told that the ships receive reports regarding any direct feedback regarding the ship.

Rest assured that the cruise lines do indeed monitor Cruise Critic as well as other internet cruise enthusiast web sites. It's pretty much free feedback and marketing data that they can use without spending much money or actually participating in any of the discussions.

Edited by joepeka

I think you are optimistic to think most customers are on this boad

In my 10 cruises over the past 5 years I have only met two people who knew what Cruisecritic is as I always bring up the topic in conversation.

We are a tiny minority of cruisers. However we do express delight and dismay over the performance of our chosen cruise lines and maybe to them we are a representative sample?

Norris

I agree that relatively few cruisers know about cruise critic.

For example, I am on a roll call here for the Royal that is VERY slow. Almost no posters. A 3,500 pax ship??? That tells me a LOT of people don't know about CC.

As for Princess monitoring the forum? I have no doubt.

I certainly never assumed that!

Not everyone has a Facebook or Internet service or or or but somehow word of mouth gets around and having attended 7 plus Meet & Greet's I know just how many people likely know of this site. But not everyone knows about the roll calls!

As one tool in the social media world, I still think Princess could resolve small problems here and/or help the confused traveler understand.

What better way to sell a cruise or heal a small wound than by real time corporate participation. I can dream can't I :D

Edited by MTJSR

I agree that relatively few cruisers know about cruise critic.

For example, I am on a roll call here for the Royal that is VERY slow. Almost no posters. A 3,500 pax ship??? That tells me a LOT of people don't know about CC.

As for Princess monitoring the forum? I have no doubt.

I certainly agree that not a majority of cruisers are aware of CC, nor willing to participate. I think Princess have ways of monitoring issues and concerns raised here that they find worthy of considering.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think Princess have ways of monitoring issues and concerns raised here that they find worthy of considering.

And that is my reason for wondering this in the first place. Princess may or may not have a system in place to catch and cure real issues before many are affected.

The cost to acquire new customers is large, but taking care of the one's you have is cheaper. This forum wouldn't have the challenging threads it has if cruise lines kept a person capable of making fixes/change, in the forum.

The cost to acquire new customers is large, but taking care of the one's you have is cheaper. This forum wouldn't have the challenging threads it has if cruise lines kept a person capable of making fixes/change, in the forum.

I agree but also cruiselines make more money out of new customers rather than existing frequent cruisers.

I know that the boards are followed...

I was on the Coral last December and writing a live from. The Cruise Director called our stateroom one evening to see if we were enjoying our trip- When I met up with him at the Captain's Circle party, I thanked him for his phone call. He let me know that he was following the blog. :eek:

I know that the boards are followed...

I was on the Coral last December and writing a live from. The Cruise Director called our stateroom one evening to see if we were enjoying our trip- When I met up with him at the Captain's Circle party, I thanked him for his phone call. He let me know that he was following the blog. :eek:

Interesting that he was able to link your screen name with your real name. Hmmmm.

Interesting that he was able to link your screen name with your real name. Hmmmm.

Not really. I sign my name as my real name, which is slightly unusual. He could further eliminate because I was in a mini suite on the D deck. Traveling next door to my son, whose name I used. Actually, it was a pretty simple process of elimination.

:),

Tracie-Lynn

Celebrity is very good at nipping some topics or rumors in the bud. Other times, they'll give the canned corporate answer. The good part is that the information is coming straight from the horse's mouth, as everyone is aware that it's actually a rep. from the cruise line giving out the information. I know phone reps are notoriously wrong, but the one(s) that monitor the Celebrity board have given out correct information from what I've seen every time. I wish Princess would do this too.

In the world of companies using social media etc etc, to reach the largest group of customers and potential customers. I am surprised cruise lines like Princess don't have staff monitoring boards like Cruise Critic. What a great place to handle/correct (in a very public place) cruise issues or problems. Not to mention, support positive experiences with a big corporate thumbs up.

I would think this forum just might have more impact than a 3x5 card dropped in a barrel. Just a thought!

They do and have been monitoring CC for a long time. Cruise Critic is minuscule in the huge world of social media.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I would think this forum just might have more impact than a 3x5 card dropped in a barrel. Just a thought![/quote

Just a quick answer They do!!

Tony

Hi all, I think it is possible that the participation in the roll calls on CC has decreased somewhat due to the use now of Facebook instead. I have noticed the change the last couple years, just a thought...

Cori

I can assure you that Princess does monitor these boards. We have been on ships where the officers are carrying print outs of cc issues to the morning meetings. We have seen many changes over the years because of the comments on these boards.

I can assure you that Princess does monitor these boards. We have been on ships where the officers are carrying print outs of cc issues to the morning meetings. We have seen many changes over the years because of the comments on these boards.

But all the comments on such things as the elimination of the option of chocolate covered strawberries for elites on formal evenings, the removal of the beef item from the always available menu and the new requirement that all pre-cruise shore excursion reservations must be paid in advanced have not changed the decisions made by HQ in these areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think an analysis of CC members as a subset of the cruise passenger universe might reveal CCers to be super consumers--a customer type coveted by all industries. Wise to monitor these boards for trends and hints on customer retention as well as signs of discontent. A great focus group that uses the internet rather than a one-way mirror!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In my 10 cruises over the past 5 years I have only met two people who knew what Cruisecritic is as I always bring up the topic in conversation.

We are a tiny minority of cruisers. However we do express delight and dismay over the performance of our chosen cruise lines and maybe to them we are a representative sample?

I have found that the typical Princess roll call I am on has from 2% to 5% of the ship's lower berth capacity participating.

There was one roll call for the Pacific Princess that had over 30% of the passengers on the roll call.

But all the comments on such things as the elimination of the option of chocolate covered strawberries for elites on formal evenings, the removal of the beef item from the always available menu and the new requirement that all pre-cruise shore excursion reservations must be paid in advanced have not changed the decisions made by HQ in these areas.

Obviously they figure the savings more than offset any lost revenue.

I don't like the new ships with banks of staterooms from top to bottom at the stern. I'd like to see them go back to building ships with several tiered, aft, public decks with: bars, pools & hot tubs... but it's not going to happen just because I post it on Cruise Critic.