Room service tipping

zeppgirl

I see that room service is free for suites, which we'll be in. But I'm a bit confused about the tipping part. Do you tip for room service if you are getting this from the butler (in suites)? Or wait until the end of the trip and tip him/her then?

I see that room service is free for suites, which we'll be in. But I'm a bit confused about the tipping part. Do you tip for room service if you are getting this from the butler (in suites)? Or wait until the end of the trip and tip him/her then?

All food is brought by a butler. You normally wait until the end of the cruise to tip your butler. $10-$15 per person in the suite per number of days in the cruise ($15 x 2 x 7)

Edited by BirdTravels

In the NCL cruises I've taken (all in suites), the few times in the uber-early beginning, I attempted to tip the butler before the end of the cruise, it was always politely declined by them. So, I stopped trying. I just "track" in my head the "extras" they do during the cruise (room service, whatever it may be). And I adjust the tip accordingly. :D

It is part of your daily auto tipping so I don't care to double tip.

It is part of your daily auto tipping so I don't care to double tip.

Butlers for Suites, who deliver room service and various other goodies, are not included in the DSC.

Just tip at the end of the cruise. You'll get various answers as to how much is appropriate.

So why should OP be penalized for paying for a suite. Food services on all other cabins are covered under the auto gratuity system but suites get to pay so much more they should tip till it hurts? I had a suite and didn't tip extra but to each their own.

So why should OP be penalized for paying for a suite. Food services on all other cabins are covered under the auto gratuity system but suites get to pay so much more they should tip till it hurts? I had a suite and didn't tip extra but to each their own.

Who doesn't tip for room service? Plus, suite guests don't pay the room service service charge.

The beauty of tipping is that you tip what you want when you want to whom you want. What others choose to do is 100% irrelevant.

Who doesn't tip for room service? Plus, suite guests don't pay the room service service charge.

Actually, we are paying $15/per person per day, so $60/day goes towards the tipping charge. I didn't know that butlers weren't included in that. That sucks, but we'll definitely go out of our way to tip if we get great service!

Actually, we are paying $15/per person per day, so $60/day goes towards the tipping charge. I didn't know that butlers weren't included in that. That sucks, but we'll definitely go out of our way to tip if we get great service!

The $15 per person per day is the DSC for suites. Neither the butler nor the concierge is included in the DSC for suites.

Room service is included for suites so the tip is optional but the butler who brings room service is usually tipped at the end of the cruise.

A suite guest can still can order room service without the butler involved. Then, yes, I think a couple of dollars is a reasonable tip for the person delivering.

Actually that is not true. If you try to dial for room service it goes directly to your butler. If it is off hours for your butler, it goes directly to the night butler. Suite guests (at least on Breakaway) cannot interact with room service without going through a butler.

Since bringing food ordered to your room is one of the butlers expected duties, tipping each time they do so is not the norm. Correct etiquette for tipping a butler is to do so at the end of the cruise.

BTW, the person who gave a specific formula for tipping is offering an opinion, not saying what everyone or even most people do. I personally feel their amount is on the high side, but that's my personal opinion. You can search tipping and get way too many other posts on the topic of tipping amounts.

A suite guest can still can order room service without the butler involved. Then, yes, I think a couple of dollars is a reasonable tip for the person delivering.

Incorrect.

If you just call the room service number, your order is routed to your butler for assembly and delivery.

Yes, but the food is delivered by your butler. Your butler delivers food to you, automatically, every afternoon, not only on request. Your butler services your suite at least twice a day, every day. Our last butler would bring the afternoon treats, then would deliver a special treat each night while we were at dinner (2 dozen shrimp cocktails, plates of chocolates, cakes, etc.). So,,, it is a lot easier to tip your butler at the end of the cruise, not when you "catch him" delivering food.

Edited by BirdTravels

On a recent cruise we were not impressed with the butler-- our snack requests were not honored he brought whatever all the suites were getting that day, did not answer the phone a couple of times and did not follow thru on a room temp issue, he got 100. we did not use the concierge and all she did was try to suck up to those in the biggest suites she got less

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The $15 per person per day is the DSC for suites. Neither the butler nor the concierge is included in the DSC for suites.

Room service is included for suites so the tip is optional but the butler who brings room service is usually tipped at the end of the cruise.

Correction, $15.50 per person per day for the DSC. :p

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Incorrect.

If you just call the room service number, your order is routed to your butler for assembly and delivery.

This did not happen on our last cruise on Breakaway in the Haven. We called for room service, was put through to room service. We were told next time to call the Butler directly for room service. We didn't call again. But we are going again in a little over 2 weeks. I'll report back on how it works. :)