Cafe bacio...bad news

ghstudio

Yes, you can still get pastries at CB, but they are not dissimilar from those you get in the mdr and other venues. The cookies have definitely changed as well

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My experience with 3 cruises on X this year is that Café Al bacio does have ranges of different pastries and desserts depending upon what time of day one visits. Danish pastries and similar are available in the morning around breakfast time changing through the day to rather decadent desserts in the evening. The cookies are there all day. The cake display cannot cater for every taste but I would be amazed if there was not something available to soothe the sweet tooth. The selection will change from time to time over a 10 - 14 day cruise.

Just off 2 weeks on the Reflection. Cafe Bacio definitely still has morning pastry offerings and afternoon/evening cakes and cookies. What I found strange was that they did not have any sugar-free syrups for the coffee drinks on the 1st cruise. But, at my request, sugar-free syrup was purchased by staff and was available on the 2nd week of our B2B. Thanks Celebrity for responding to my request!

I got off the Silhouette today. There were a great variety of desserts at Cafe Baccio; they seemed better than earlier cruises. I found the fresh squeezed OJ in the Elite lounge fine.

The OJ in the Elite Lounge is fresh squeezed. But what they serve elsewhere as fresh, not out of the machine has been downgraded. It is not fine.

This discussion, with recent reports of what is available in Cafe Bacio on several ships, including pictures does indicate there is no bad news about the Cafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

This discussion, with recent reports of what is available in Cafe Bacio on several ships, including pictures does indicate there is no bad news about the Cafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And THAT is GREAT news! Can't wait for those sweet treats next month on Eclipse!

Did not see many of the items in the pictures on the equinox....so maybe it's the ship, maybe I walked by at the wrong time, but I think there may be some significant variation by ship.

The classic backpeddle. Maybe it was the Classic Beverage Package! :D

Thank you, Rich! I too have noticed a unique pattern.

Yes, a definite agenda over the last year or more.

We were on Solstice last September, the pastries at Al Bacio were as good or better than ever. Service was relaxed, courteous, and prompt. Always a place to sit, maybe sometimes not right next to a window, but always a place to sit. We made a definite attempt to avoid Al Bacio, but too often we succumbed to temptation! We said, we'll just have a cup of tea but no pastries. That just didn't seem to work for us. :p

Have no fear, the sky is not falling in Al Bacio.

Hi Wine O,

I agree that the pastries at Cafe al Baccio look beautiful but most often aren't worth wasting calories on- The cookies were very good however.

We really enjoy the special coffees.

That reminds me. I love the Affogato specialty coffee. Espresso shot over either Chocolate or Vanilla gelato. Anyone onboard now be sure to try it. I had it every day last the week before last on Reflection.

The classic backpeddle. Maybe it was the Classic Beverage Package! :D

no backpeddle....just an honest statement. There are plenty of good pastries available, but some of the unique ones I've enjoyed in the past don't seem to be there...the carrot cake, the large fruit tarts and the cookies are different. The other cakes looked excellent and they were, just that they were also excellent when served in the buffet or other restaurants.

Yes, a definite agenda over the last year or more.

No agenda...unless trying to get Celebrity to bring back some of what many of us remember is an agenda. I try to report accurately...and I try to help others as they query here accurately which is the purpose of cruise critic. I'm not a fan boy...I call them as I see them and sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not.

I hope they have not changed. The pastries in the buffet look good, but are in fact awful. Just ersatz creamy stuff with no natural flavor. On the other hand, Cafe Baccio has wonderful breakfast breads/pastries and desserts. There was a definite difference. That would be a sincere shame.

I don't remember which cruise, but I think it might have been the Connie Eastbound in 2014. At al Bacio they had these huge blueberry muffins, and I mean huge, and they really tasted good -- full of blueberries. If you didn't get down to al Bacio by 7:30am, they were all gone. It had to be the pastry chef, because on a recent Reflection cruise, the muffins were tasteless, almost like they were day old, stale.

I hope they have not changed. The pastries in the buffet look good, but are in fact awful. Just ersatz creamy stuff with no natural flavor. On the other hand, Cafe Baccio has wonderful breakfast breads/pastries and desserts. There was a definite difference. That would be a sincere shame.

I assume that many like the whipped cream fillings and icing although I'm a butter cream person. Reminds me of my NY days and liking bread with a firm crust...then moving to the south where they seem to strive to see who can make the softest crust. Different strokes.

I assume that many like the whipped cream fillings and icing although I'm a butter cream person. Reminds me of my NY days and liking bread with a firm crust...then moving to the south where they seem to strive to see who can make the softest crust. Different strokes.

Different strokes. I guess that explains why you reported bad news....Cafe Bacio, while others still report delicious pastries.

It's also why Subway's sandwiches look like the were baked in the south; even the commercials can't make thrm look appealing.:eek:

Currently on the Eclipse and all the favorites are still being offered in the Cafe. That's the one

Place I haven't noticed cutbacks. Still a nice cruise but lots of changes and cutbacks.

The special pastries that you used to find at cafe bacio are no longer. On the equinox, you have the same cakes, etc that you get at various times in the mdr or ocean view. The fruit tarts a very small, etc.

I guess it's another cut back....or maybe they've upgraded the desserts in the mdr and ocean view. You decide....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just got off the Equinox yesterday and I thought they have very nice selection of pastries and cakes. I was getting my morning cappuccino and almond croissant everyday - missing it already.

It's been a few years but I really miss the Black and White cookies and the little ham sandwiches. We used to take the sandwiches wrapped on our excursions (Cafe Al Bacio's suggestion)

I thought taking food off the ship was strictly forbidden.