Rotterdam question

gael1975

1st HAL cruise. We will be sailing on the Rotterdam 3/16/17, I was wondering if the library is still open and if they have a selection of fiction and non fiction books. Most of the comments on the library threads have concerned the newer ships, not so much about the S or R class. Looking for info from someone that has sailed on the Rotterdam recently. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last Veedam - walls of books still there but no librarian. Someone reshelved the books every night which are still identified by numbers on their jackets as to proper section but one wonders how long a less than professional attendance to this task or even title renewals will last.

Our complaint was there was no librarian to keep some of the loudly conversing passengers quiet, while others were trying to read. And who remained immune to my own furtive Death Stares.

I suggested at least some "Quiet Please" signs that one could point to and keep the expectation this space was dedicated to the more quiet pleasures of ship board life.

Edited by OlsSalt

1st HAL cruise. We will be sailing on the Rotterdam 3/16/17, I was wondering if the library is still open and if they have a selection of fiction and non fiction books. Most of the comments on the library threads have concerned the newer ships, not so much about the S or R class. Looking for info from someone that has sailed on the Rotterdam recently. Thanks in advance for the help.

The recent changes (Explorations Cafe, etc.) will be implemented on the larger ships first. I don't know if they will or can be done on the S & R ships (Rotterdam is an R ship) so the library should be safe :)

I sure hope so, as I remember it being quite decent and we will be on board her on March 30th - so keep her in good shape for us ;) and have fun:D

We will be on the Rotterdam from Feb 12-Mar 16. We were on the Maasdam late Sept through early Dec and on Nov 18th they eliminated the Librarian position. The library became very difficult to use within just a few days because the books were not being put back in the proper sections - just randomly put back on the shelves.:(

So - just wondering the status of the library on the Rotterdam to see if we need get a Kindle from Santa. DW enjoys holding a "real book" and is one of the reasons we enjoy sailing on HAL. We often stop in the library after our MDR meal to see if anything we want to read has been returned.

Just off the Rotterdam 12/9/16 -- there is no librarian.

Librarian is not a big deal unless you want a reference book. How did you access the reference books (travel planning guide books)? The internet person did it for us on the Westerdam - did you find the same?

But the library was still there, right?

Edited by kazu

Librarian is not a big deal unless you want a reference book. How did you access the reference books (travel planning guide books)? The internet person did it for us on the Westerdam - did you find the same?

But the library was still there, right?

I don't have a problem with no librarian. The books were all there. None of the cabinets were locked so you could get to anything you wanted. I'm not sure who was putting the books back on the shelves. Sometimes there was a stack on the desk. But the next time I looked the stack was gone.

Also, there was no "internet person". I don't have a problem with that either but some might. Passengers helped each other with the internet.

We were on the Rotterdam for 42 days and I didn't hear one complaint about the library or the lack of internet help.

I don't have a problem with no librarian. The books were all there. None of the cabinets were locked so you could get to anything you wanted. I'm not sure who was putting the books back on the shelves. Sometimes there was a stack on the desk. But the next time I looked the stack was gone.

Also, there was no "internet person". I don't have a problem with that either but some might. Passengers helped each other with the internet.

We were on the Rotterdam for 42 days and I didn't hear one complaint about the library or the lack of internet help.

Sounds good to me:)

Thanks so much :D

Thanks for the information. When the librarian was taken off the Maasdam in Nov the books were just being put back in random locations which made if difficult to find things.

Thanks for the information. When the librarian was taken off the Maasdam in Nov the books were just being put back in random locations which made if difficult to find things.

Maybe some book-loving passengers could form a voluntary re-shelving group and spend an hour or so on a sea day getting this task done. The more the merrier.

There is a poster board in the library asking for various groups to gather for certain interests. I'd be willing to help. If not alphabetical, at least in the proper main categories - which I think are identified on the spine of the book by numbers. Talk to the cruise director for some help.

Edited by OlsSalt

Maybe some book-loving passengers could form a voluntary re-shelving group and spend an hour or so on a sea day getting this task done. The more the merrier.

By extension, this could eventually lead to pax having to form volunteer groups to keep the ship clean, prepare, cook & serve food, clean dishes, and who knows what else.

By extension, this could eventually lead to pax having to form volunteer groups to keep the ship clean, prepare, cook & serve food, clean dishes, and who knows what else.

Exactly. Of course, this is the logical extension. So best to not lift a finger for this sweet cause, or else they may tell us to break out the oars next. Otherwise they just might take out all the books and install an service charge automat in its place, after they get rid of the Lido buffet. It is bad enough they already charge us, just to spend time onboard.

Edited by OlsSalt

Thanks everyone for your replies, looks like we will not have to pack any books.

Years ago, DW and moi would pack many pounds of paperback books whenever we took a long cruise or land vacations. Those were the days when the airlines allowed plenty of luggage and we put a lot of thought into packing books that we would both want to read. Now, we pack hundreds of books and our total weight is less then 1 pound :). And we can read those books in any kind of light conditions, not worry if they get a few drops of liquid on them, etc. Of course we are speaking of a basic Kindle (we like the Paperwhite version) which can hold several thousand books. Another advantage is that we can read our Kindle with one hand.

We do understand the desire of many folks to hold a real book (we often do this at home). But times have changed, and Kindles (plus other tablets) have changed the entire library and publishing industry. Consider what happens if you encounter a word that is not in your vocabulary. With a regular book you must put down the book, go find a dictionary (not always convenient or available) and look up the word. With a Kindle you simply touch the word and it opens up the dictionary definition. Nice.

Hank

Thanks everyone for your replies, looks like we will not have to pack any books.

Just off the Rotterdam yesterday. Library is still a great place to sit and read.Stll quite. Lots of books but not current ones. If you are a avid reader of new fiction you will be disappointed. Did not check out the paperback exchange supply.

Janet

Some of the HAL Library books were placed in the book exchange cupboard, or on the shelf below the cupboard. One day I opened the cupboard and books fell out, as folk had just put the books in an untidy heap.

I tidied the cupboard a few times.

Just off the Rotterdam yesterday. Library is still a great place to sit and read.Stll quite. Lots of books but not current ones. If you are a avid reader of new fiction you will be disappointed. Did not check out the paperback exchange supply.

Janet

Welcome home :) Hope you had a good cruise!

Just another indication of more cutbacks. There was a librarian on our 56 day cruise on the Rotterdam this past Feb. 2016. We also had three water leaks in our Neptune Suite that soaked the carpet, one water pipe break and endless noise at night from trolley carts being moved above us on the Lido deck.

We still love the Rotterdam, but will think twice before we book it again.

Just another indication of more cutbacks. There was a librarian on our 56 day cruise on the Rotterdam this past Feb. 2016. ......

What we don 't know is whether what is seen as a "cut-back" in one department, actually makes room for some other staff service somewhere else. There are only so many crew beds and as passenger preferences change, staff allocations can get juggled around.

A HM once explained it to us this way - more spa services, like a traveling tooth whitener means one less bed for some other staffer in another department. He also grumbled decisions in Seattle now were being made by people who had never been on a cruise ship.

As another example, the variety of choices that meet special dietary needs passengers now ask for, means less Lido and prep space for other traditional offerings.

Did the sushi upgrade mean no one is fresh squeezing the OJ any longer? I don't know, but it is that sort of thing. Or did all those orange rinds every day simply overwhelm the new waste handling systems.

Ships are closed systems. Add here and take away there. Hopefully someone with more inside knowledge can fill in the information gaps here.

BTW: personally I think the loss of the dedicated librarian is a huge loss, but it was also an unexpected and huge luxury I never expected to see at sea. And today it looks like fully stocked ship libraries like those many of us have come to love on HAL ships is going the way of the dodo bird.

Edited by OlsSalt

Just home from the Rotterdam. Lots of books. Great comfortable space with lots of chairs and great views. No locked book shelves. No librarian.

I read four of the books from the library. I did not miss the librarian....I just put the books in the "drop book box" when I finished....worked great.