Windows at sea level?

AmazedByCruising

Is it technically possible for cruiseships to replace parts of the hull with large windows that can cope with the forces at sea level?

I'd love a venue ("Deck Zero", "The Aquarium"?) with 15ft windows of which 10 are below and 5 above sea level. You'd be able to see the sun reflected on the surface of the sea, violent splashing waves, and the more quiet water below, filled with sealife, all at the same time. Wouldn't that be awesome?

I am not a marine engineer, but there are a few issues. The main crew deck is above the water line. The lowest passenger deck is above the crew deck. There are specific marine engineering calculations which force the designers to meet stringent criteria for strength. Windows close the the water line need to be smaller or even port holes in order to provide the necessary strength to withstand worst case scenarios. As you move further from the water line windows can become larger (not as strong) which also allows for balconies.

Many years ago (we have been cruising for over forty years) we had a low deck cabin on the Regent Spirit....where the floor of our cabin was right on the water line. Our windows were very strong port holes, and access to our deck was via a ladder (not stairway). We actually shared our deck with many crew cabins. These days that would not happen on a cruise ship. You might look at a deck plan of HAL's Prinsendam (an older ship) where the lower deck passenger cabins near the bow all have port holes (for strength.

Hank

Is it technically possible for cruiseships to replace parts of the hull with large windows that can cope with the forces at sea level?

I'd love a venue ("Deck Zero", "The Aquarium"?) with 15ft windows of which 10 are below and 5 above sea level. You'd be able to see the sun reflected on the surface of the sea, violent splashing waves, and the more quiet water below, filled with sealife, all at the same time. Wouldn't that be awesome?

You wouldn't see anything at all when the ship is sailing, way too much disturbance in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These days that would not happen on a cruise ship. You might look at a deck plan of HAL's Prinsendam (an older ship) where the lower deck passenger cabins near the bow all have port holes (for strength.

Not just port holes but iron hatches that can also be locked if the window is breached.

The OP could always hope new materials technologies are developed in his/her lifetime.....

If you book a stateroom on the very lower level you might see waves splashing against your window or porthole, especially in rough seas. Watch these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtmxTjYQnPo

Edited by SantaFeFan

Take a cruise on/in a submersible!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Low decks being cheapest, I'm embarrassed to admit that I have some experience of cabins close to the waterline. :o

Port-holes are small and round, thus much less likely to break than larger square windows. And when the seas are frisky and playful, the crew lower the heavy metal covers hinged above the portholes to support that glass & to avoid a deluge should it break.

This effectively means as downgrade from an ocean-view cabin into an inside cabin. And, especially cabins toward the bow, waves crash against the side just inches from the occupants' head. A little frightening at first, then a little exciting, then downright annoying.

If your cabin is on the pier side when you berth, the view is of a grey stone wall three feet from your porthole.

Those cabins are above the waterline.

Some crew cabins are on the next deck down, below the waterline, and have no portholes - far too dangerous in the event of a failure or colliding with something.

Several crew drowned in their bunks when Costa Europa collided with the pier-end during a stormy berthing at Sharm el Sheik, Egypt & tore a hole in the side of the ship. The bridge crew immediately flooded the ballast tanks on the opposite side in order to make the ship list & bring the gash out of the water - but not quickly enough to save those lives.

I'm not aware of any portholes on any ship below the waterline - even those on tourist submersibles are above sea-level when the vessel is on the surface, and on "glass-bottom boats" the glass section is encased in a box which extends above the waterline - completely remove the glass & the boat won't sink.

Neat idea, Amazedby, but impractical on a sea-going ship.

And after churning up the mud pulling away from a berth, would you volunteer to go down with your bucket, sponge, and squeegee to clean the windows? ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Nearly anything is possible if you are willing to pay for it. Are you willing to pay for it?

DON

"Just when I think I'm out, they suck me back in"

Let's first get the semantics out of the way. A "port hole" is a small round window on a ship that opens (certainly wouldn't want that below the waterline). A "port light" is a small round window that doesn't open. And a "dead light" is the, typically, bronze cover that can be screwed down tight over a port hole or port light in rough weather.

External forces on a ship's hull are constantly variable, both in time and across the surface of the hull. So, as others have noted, until you design a clear material that approximates the tensile strength, impact resistance, and malleability of steel, no one will put a window in a hull. Steel is one of the most important and amazing inventions of mankind. Class societies would have fits thinking of the worst case scenarios and making rules for safe operation of ships with windows in the hull.

As to the viewing, the water streaming along the side of the hull would be passing at hull speed 15-20 knots, and getting roiled by any protrusion, be it a window frame, a bolt head, or a barnacle, into turbulence disturbing the view. As to sea life, most of it has been around for centuries, and have survived by being smart enough to get away from larger things in the ocean. You would see very little sea life around a moving ship in the amount of visibility available.

Sometimes this place just sucks! :mad:

One one the first things I learned after joining CC was that not all CD's looked like Julie from The Love Boat and Charo wasn't going to be on every second sailing. :(

Now this! :eek:

Are you telling me that this sub wasn't real? :confused:

Seaview_Submarine.jpg.9fbc2da1b4e22ccdd5019390f2f3001e.jpg

Edited by DirtyDawg

If you book a stateroom on the very lower level you might see waves splashing against your window or porthole, especially in rough seas. Watch these videos:

Well, if it would be possible, it sure looks cool!

Class societies would have fits thinking of the worst case scenarios and making rules for safe operation of ships with windows in the hull.

As to the viewing, the water streaming along the side of the hull would be passing at hull speed 15-20 knots, and getting roiled by any protrusion, be it a window frame, a bolt head, or a barnacle, into turbulence disturbing the view. As to sea life, most of it has been around for centuries, and have survived by being smart enough to get away from larger things in the ocean. You would see very little sea life around a moving ship in the amount of visibility available.

Except for harbour porpoise that actually seemed attracted to the wake on my first cruise. If a ship would have such windows it should spend some time to sail very slow, in the nicest waters, to make the most out of its main attraction. But I'd be content with simply viewing the violence going on at higher speeds while enjoying the nicests wine my beverage package can handle.

I didn't spend enough time googling, as I just found this: Introducing the world's first underwater lounge on a cruise ship.

However, Ponant's website doesn't mention that lounge anywhere on their site while they do have a video to introduce the new ships, bragging about the infinity pool.

As donaldsc posted, and my remodeling contractor tells me all the time, "you can have whatever you want, as long as you are willing to pay for it".

Porpoises sometimes will be attracted to the bow wave for fun. Typically only within an area close to shore, out in the middle, not as frequent.

I'll believe Ponant's hype when the actuality of the experience lives up to the hype (probably not as large glass, distortion, etc.). Would love to see the insurance bill for these ships.

As donaldsc posted, and my remodeling contractor tells me all the time, "you can have whatever you want, as long as you are willing to pay for it".

You can't if no one gives you a quote (and I don't think Fincantieri would quote me either). I don't know what fares would be like.

camera man says he can delete all the other videos he took after an experience that took 3 seconds. If my TA told me I could switch from a $5,000 cruise to a $8,000 cruise that does have a lounge like that, I'm quite sure I'd switch.

My friends and family are probably not too thrilled by the insanely beautiful sunsets I made pictures of, yet this time I think would actually show the videos.

I'll believe Ponant's hype when the actuality of the experience lives up to the hype (probably not as large glass, distortion, etc.). Would love to see the insurance bill for these ships.

I think they scrapped the whole idea actually. There's one vague artist impression all media outlets have, and none on the site. The advertised innovations are bringing toys and an infinity pool, I'm not too impressed.

I love the idea, but instead of putting in a window, because metal flexes and glass doesn't, put in a camera at the bow. Some airlines are doing this so passengers can watch the plane take off and land.

That would be a very nice start. People pay for inside cabins that have an "outside view" which is actually a TV screen showing what it would look like if you booked a balcony cabin. I'd like just that, but this time a view at wavelevel.