U by Uniworld: New River Cruise Line for Millennials

Host Jazzbeau

From personal experience only...Uniworld reps are definitely steering more "mature" passengers away from U. Attending a local travel show this past weekend, I had the opportunity to visit the Uniworld booth and speak w a rep ( who was probably mid 30s) . What was interesting ( to me) was the fact they were really promoting "U" with literature and signage compared the availably of information on the "normal Uniworld".

Having already learned quite a bit about the U marketing strategy ( thank you CC!) I was still surprised (as youngish looking 50) when I asked for info on U and was told upfront that I would probably "prefer" the amenities on the regular Uniworld cruises.

While he did not say outright say I was too old... he mentioned that I might not "relate" well to the rest of the the demographic.. oh well :)

Knox (Knoxville? ),

I went to a travel show in Nashville this past weekend, and the Uniworld rep was definitely promoting U. The demographics at the travel show didn't match U's target demographic.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

Knox (Knoxville? ),

I went to a travel show in Nashville this past weekend, and the Uniworld rep was definitely promoting U. The demographics at the travel show didn't match U's target demographic.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

yep Knoxville - AAA travel show.

From personal experience only...Uniworld reps are definitely steering more "mature" passengers away from U. Attending a local travel show this past weekend, I had the opportunity to visit the Uniworld booth and speak w a rep ( who was probably mid 30s) . What was interesting ( to me) was the fact they were really promoting "U" with literature and signage compared the availably of information on the "normal Uniworld".

Having already learned quite a bit about the U marketing strategy ( thank you CC!) I was still surprised (as youngish looking 50) when I asked for info on U and was told upfront that I would probably "prefer" the amenities on the regular Uniworld cruises.

While he did not say outright say I was too old... he mentioned that I might not "relate" well to the rest of the the demographic.. oh well :)

How condescending!

Uniworld is trying to attract a new younger clientele for the future. I have no problem with that, but it obviously offends some!

As I posted numerous times, on both river and ocean cruises, i’m Fed up with cruisers over estimating their capacity and nearly ruining the tours for others. Too many 50 year olds believing they can keep up with 30 somethings will kill U quickly. Uniworld understands, the easily offended refuse to! Why is it offensive to allow the under 40 crowd to enjoy the company of the same? Cougar dreaming or what?

I am over fifty. I was interested in the concept of staying overnight in the ports. Do we live in a segregated society where 50 year olds can’t be in same vicinity as 30 year olds?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm hopeful that this concept catches on with more lines for us "boomers."

Lunch in town with some regularity, an occasional dinner in a restaurant and time after dinner to catch an evening activity are all things we try to incorporate when we cruise. We really dislike killing a couple hours midday for lunch on board.

It has been my experience that Viking is the culprit for taking everyone back to the boat for lunch. Uniworld typically (a) schedules an hour or so break during lunch hour on the tours and allows their cruisers to have lunch, on their own , where they please, or (b) has a luncheon set up at a local authentic restaurant for all. Unless sailing, in the afternoon, Uniworld rarely returns to the boat for lunch. I have noticed that (a) above may be the most popular. There are those cruisers that want nothing to do with fresh local authentic food anywhere, and when given the options head straight from Burger King or Subway while the rest of us take the local cuisine options. A win- win for all.

Even on Viking, when in Lyon, we left the ship tour, not returning for lunch aboard, but eating in town. Likewise, we dined in town for dinner, since we overnighted there. Except for those only wanting Americanized food, I cannot imagine why anyone would eat aboard when they are in one of the greatest restaurant and chefs towns in the world!

Except for those only wanting Americanized food, I cannot imagine why anyone would eat aboard

Money. The biggest reason I don't like river cruising - if I've already paid for something, I want to utilize it. Would I prefer to eat in Lyon? Sure! Then I'm going to book a trip to Lyon and not pay for a river cruise where 3 meals are served (and therefore paid for) on board....

[on our Avalon cruise, lunch was not available on board every day - it depended on the port/tours/options that day - and I absolutely prefer to eat locally, so....]

I'm sure there are other reasons out there......

Uniworld is trying to attract a new younger clientele for the future. I have no problem with that, but it obviously offends some!

As I posted numerous times, on both river and ocean cruises, i’m Fed up with cruisers over estimating their capacity and nearly ruining the tours for others. Too many 50 year olds believing they can keep up with 30 somethings will kill U quickly. Uniworld understands, the easily offended refuse to! Why is it offensive to allow the under 40 crowd to enjoy the company of the same? Cougar dreaming or what?

While I was not necessarily offended by the U marketing tactics , rather simply offering a a first hand personal observation from my interactions w the Uniworld Rep... the "Cougar dreaming" comment was offensive.

Latest email from Uniworld...they are now opening all of the U cruises to everyone...all ages....all the time!

The only conclusion I can draw is there are a lot of unsold cabins. I hope that the people who buy those cabins understand that there will be more younger people and perhaps a little more party atmosphere. Other than the problem of limited dock space I think there should be a spectrum of boats that offer sedate settings to those that EXPECT passengers to be active.

I love the itinerary, the late night port options, and a lot of the excursion options. The onboard experience, not so much. Having sailed on this ship when it was the Baroness, I can say that the rooms are tiny.....way too tiny. 128sf. Uniworld should have taken the time to redo the ship-fewer rooms, but larger, instead of creating a concept that was a little over the top, IMO.

I would really like to do one of the itineraries, but not on these ships.

Robin

I love the itinerary, the late night port options, and a lot of the excursion options. The onboard experience, not so much. Having sailed on this ship when it was the Baroness, I can say that the rooms are tiny.....way too tiny. 128sf. Uniworld should have taken the time to redo the ship-fewer rooms, but larger, instead of creating a concept that was a little over the top, IMO.

Robin

I haven’t paid attention to the details, but I thought the price point was much less expensive than the full service Uniworld Cruise? If one is out and about all day and into the night, I wouldn’t mind having the smaller cabin, using it only for showering and sleeping.

I haven’t paid attention to the details, but I thought the price point was much less expensive than the full service Uniworld Cruise? If one is out and about all day and into the night, I wouldn’t mind having the smaller cabin, using it only for showering and sleeping.

Having just looked at pricing, there really isn't that much difference, for the difference in what you are/aren't getting......it was $100/person/day more for full service Uniworld.....

Robin

Robin

Maybe if the concept proves popular with an older demographic they'll expand it onto their larger ships.

Having just looked at pricing, there really isn't that much difference, for the difference in what you are/aren't getting......it was $100/person/day more for full service Uniworld.....

Robin

Never mind then. Lol. But if I was vacationing with young adults they’d probably enjoy U much more.

Excuse me if this has been mentioned already, but did anyone else catch the Bachelor show on the “U” by Uniworld when they were docked and sailed on the Seine in Paris? Did not look all that special to me and we did not like the dark color! We have been on 6 prior Uniworld sailings and I think we’ll stick to the elegant white colors......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe if the concept proves popular with an older demographic they'll expand it onto their larger ships.

That would be something I would enjoy. On the Rhine last year, we were cruising by dinnertime. The only time we were in port late was in Cologne, when we arrived at 11:30.

No overnights on my upcoming Paris-Normandy cruise except for Paris. We arrive in Rouen one night at 10pm, I guess that isn't too late.

Got2Cruise, on our Rhine cruise last year, we had a 12yo traveling with her aunt, and a family with their 4 sons, ages 16, 25, 27 (with girlfriend) and 29 (with fiancé). Also some young 30's to 40's. Everyone had a great time, and seemed to fit in without a problem.

Robin

Apparently they didn't get the memo:

'Millennial' Cruise Line U by Uniworld To Remove Age Restrictions on All Sailings

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8453

So "due to consumer demand", the product will be open to all adult travelers. I think this pretty much translates into bookings were dismal and something had to be done to fill the two boats. Originally the product was restricted to 18-40 year olds, then expanded to 21-45, and now all adults. I'm sure the young hipsters won't mind the baby boomers & retirees invading their space and demanding the music be turned down and requesting prune juice over the latest hand crafted cocktail or micro-brewed beer. LOL

I've been watching this one, and I admired Uniworld for taking a chance, but it seemed rather ambitious especially with two boats dedicated to the venture right from the get go. European river cruising is historically a very mature demographic. Perhaps that will change in time but not overnight, and not even with the super hip and trendy U product. Somehow U seems far less trendy and hip now.

I'm sure the young hipsters won't mind the baby boomers & retirees invading their space and demanding the music be turned down and requesting prune juice over the latest hand crafted cocktail or micro-brewed beer. LOL

Just a side note, but I checked the web site closely, and I couldn't figure out what the alcohol policy is. Nothing on wine/beer with diner, bring a bottle on board...the room sizes were also vague, just giving a range for square feet (think it was 120 to 140sq ft).

The cruise descriptions were pretty funny, as were the hipster pictures they used in a couple.

I like the idea of lunch ashore and some late night stays. When I was with my 20 something daughters on a Amsterdam to Budapest cruise we felt we should go back to the ship to eat...using the bathroom, and getting a coffee and a cookie usually put the vote over the top. I abstained, unless I wanted a nap.

My wife and my solo cruise, we stayed out more.

I'm 52, the wife 56, we'd sail with them.