Somebody went overboard on Independence 12/22

time4u2go

Independence is late getting back into Fort Lauderdale (we know people on it). I checked the marine tracking site, and it showed that Independence circled around some in the middle of the night, and that it is just now docking (3-4 hours late). Called Royal Caribbean and they said somebody went overboard.

I was browsing the PE webcam and watched IOTS pulling at 9:30 AM. A google news search revealed a report that a passenger went overboard last night. I must assume that delayed her during the investigation/search. A roll call passenger posted boarding for her Xmas cruise has been delayed until 14:30.

Generally suicides get little press.

Where I live, if someone commits suicide by jumping in front of train, the media will report as an incident has delayed the train.

Suicide is sad but not everyone's business and it's also bad for trains and cruise line business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm scheduled to board Independence this morning. I checked my email this morning where I received an email from Royal Caribbean asking to report to PE at 2:30. We were at the Embassy Suites, waiting in the shuttle van while our bags were being loaded. We informed the driver of the email and he unloaded our bags.

He insisted we go to the port. We decided to check our bags at the Embassy Suites then took a taxi to Ft Lauderdale beach. We are currently at Fat Tuesdays having frozen mango daiquiris, chips and salsa.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was thinking the same thing...A HS student committed suicide at the local school last week and the family is devastated...ever saw it coming!

A 15 year old jumped off a bridge into highway traffic last week, was being treated for depression. So incredibly sad.

He may have been drunk. Not suicidal. Just drunk and made a fatal mistake.

A friend of mine's ex husband accidentally shot himself. Wasn't suicidal. Just did a very dumb thing.

And, while mental illness is not self induced, the final act he took was - in that he himself did it. It's not to 'blame' him. It's just a statement of fact.

I was browsing the PE webcam and watched IOTS pulling at 9:30 AM. A google news search revealed a report that a passenger went overboard last night. I must assume that delayed her during the investigation/search. A roll call passenger posted boarding for her Xmas cruise has been delayed until 14:30.

It's that time of the year.

Being a passenger on this cruise with a 1:45 p.m. flight I was not aware of this incident until hearing the announcement at 8 a.m. that we would not be docking at FLL until 10:45 a.m. because of a man overboard.

After docking just before 11 a.m. police officers interviewed family members who were being held in their room under guard. This took about 35 minutes with passengers carrying their own luggage allowed to disembark after the interview.

Passengers with luggage tags 1-11 started leaving at 11:45 a.m.

Those with Global Entry cards breezed through immigration.

The ship left from dock 25, but returned to dock 18 (the Harmony of the Seas slot), where transportation was arranged by RCL back to dock 25 for those families that had folks picking them up.

Of the 4000 passengers 1,350 were children traveling with parents.

There was 1 Pinnacle on board, 91 Diamond+ and 202 Diamond.

A very high percentage of passengers drove in from Florida and neighboring states.

Another incident occurred on Friday Dec. 11 at noon when an unmanned life raft was spotted from the bridge, which caused the ship to circle around looking for survivors (none found - turned over to Coast Guard) resulting in a 3 hour delay , but the ship increased speed to get back to port in a timely fashion for the Dec. 12 cruise.

Generally suicides get little press.

Where I live, if someone commits suicide by jumping in front of train, the media will report as an incident has delayed the train.

Suicide is sad but not everyone's business and it's also bad for trains and cruise line business.

The reason theyre not reported is because they "inspire" other people to do the same.