Celebrity quality is slipping

scoobyspiced

We are currently on the Summit sailing from Puerto Rico. We have found this cruise to be well under the standards we have come to expect from Celebrity. Embarkation day was a free for all. People were made to stand in line outside in the heat. We saw a person in wheel a chair and one that told the staff they were diabetic asking if they could just sit in the AC no way. Once the doors were open and check in complete seating was limited again no one tried to organize the mob that tried to rush through one door to board the ship. The rest of the cruise consisted of cold food at the buffet,empty hand sanitizer stations on top that Norovirus broke out.People vomiting in the halls, common areas and in one of the dining rooms.This caused a removal of all books, throw pillows,and bedding dust covers from the staterooms.The rooms had to be sprayed with a machine as well as wiping down the walls.Dining became slow in all the dining rooms,we dined in AQ classes Blu. Nothing could be touched sugar,salt and pepper packets were handed out with tongs. The trip continued with our closet door falling off its hinges in the middle of the night. During the time spent at the pool no for at least two hours came to see if a drink was wanted. When we told guest relations of our concerns they couldn't be bothered. They did screw the closet door back on.We have many cruises under our belts most with Celebrity but this was pathetic.

Edited by scoobyspiced

Sounds like the ship is ready to sink or implode on its' own volition and many will dis-embark at the first port!

Hope most had travel insurance for this disaster and emergency fly out...

Have a good flight home...

and, bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

The essence of this post is absolutely correct. I am not hard-to-please. I don't insist on staff jumping when I need something. Nor am I the proverbial "foodie."

Nonetheless, it is difficult to watch a brand that was once at the top of the cruise totem pole slip downwards - - nobody pushed, they chose to slide.

I have heard all the arguments about how fares have been held down. Yet I resent not being able to enjoy what "X" was once famous for without paying an additional fee.

For example, the cost of specialty dining is outrageous. By the time you are done, it can range as much as $100.00 for a couple - with zero consideration for the meal in the MDR you've already paid for.

Yes, I still cruise "X" now-and-again. But I find Princess to be far superior in what is included in the base fare.

I was on this ship on a B2B from 12/3 to 12/17 and I was pleased on every part of my cruise.

Are you sure you have the right ship?

There was always someone standing before entering the buffet for hand sanitizing and out of 14 days on the ship i saw no vomit on any hall or heard of any Noro nor seen any doors come off.

Edited by Georgie562

We are currently on the Summit sailing from Puerto Rico. We have found this cruise to be well under the standards we have come to expect from Celebrity. Embarkation day was a free for all. People were made to stand in line outside in the heat. We saw a person in wheel a chair and one that told the staff they were diabetic asking if they could just sit in the AC no way. Once the doors were open and check in complete seating was limited again no one tried to organize the mob that tried to rush through one door to board the ship. The rest of the cruise consisted of cold food at the buffet,empty hand sanitizer stations on top that Norovirus broke out.People vomiting in the halls, common areas and in one of the dining rooms.This caused a removal of all books, throw pillows,and bedding dust covers from the staterooms.The rooms had to be sprayed with a machine as well as wiping down the walls.Dining became slow in all the dining rooms,we dined in AQ classes Blu. Nothing could be touched sugar,salt and pepper packets were handed out with tongs. The trip continued with our closet door falling off its hinges in the middle of the night. During the time spent at the pool no for at least two hours came to see if a drink was wanted. When we told guest relations of our concerns they couldn't be bothered. They did screw the closet door back on.We have many cruises under our belts most with Celebrity but this was pathetic.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Other than that did you enjoy your Cruise? Did you notice if they had prunes on your Cruise? Glad we don't have a future Cruise book on the Summit. I would have to cancel it after your inexcusable experience.

Edited by davekathy

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Other than that did you enjoy your Cruise? Did you notice if they had prunes on your Cruise? Glad we don't have a future Cruise book on the Summit. I would have to cancel it after your inexcusable experience.

Please do not encourage them.

I am so sorry that your cruise is not going well. I know exactly what you are going through. We were on a "Norovirus" cruise last year...different cruiseline. Unfortunately, the cruise does suffer because the crew is overworked in these situations. :(

A stomach virus is going around in the states. We have it in our hometown. I had it a few weeks ago. My daughter had it last week. Her daycare had an outbreak. With schools now out for the holidays, hopefully, things will calm down.

I am sure that Celebrity is doing their best, along with the guidelines from the CDC. Was your boarding delayed because of a prior Noro outbreak on the cruise before?

We had a lovely cruise on the Summit in the Fall, and a wonderful cruise on the Silhouette last May.

Best advice is to try and enjoy your cruise.:) Complaining will not help. All passengers are in the same situation. :rolleyes:

Most importantly, follow the hand washing guidelines and do your best to avoid germs.

Hope the rest of your cruise improves.:D

Hope most had travel insurance for this disaster and emergency fly out...

Travel insurance really doesn't help in this situation unless you are deemed so ill that you have to be flown to a hospital.

Normally, the cruiseline will quarantine, and then reimburse for the days you are confined to your room.

Edited by Iamthesea

Richstowe...how dare you suggest that people on this board post under more than one name.....Ugh!

The OP's post is totally believable...just ask I amthesea.

In fact, I myself recollect having to wear rubber boots to wade through the vomit on my last Celebrity Cruise...dont you dare call me a troll.

I find the OP's post to be perfectly credible. He was not over the top about anything, he never said he waded through vomit, he cited 3 instances that he personally saw. Everything else he experienced was regular Noro protocols.

And he did say they fixed his closet door.

As far as the crowd to board, that's what happens when you arrive too early and if there happened to be a delay on the prior cruise there is a huge backlog and rush. We've learned our lesson and don't arrive until later these days.

I didn't read anything he wrote that was outrageous or that couldn't have happened.

And as far as this being his first post? Many, many people have no interest in forums as long as everything is good or status quo, if there ever is a problem(s) as in this case, that is when they seek out a message board to tell their story.

I find the OP's post to be perfectly credible. He was not over the top about anything, he never said he waded through vomit, he cited 3 instances that he personally saw. Everything else he experienced was regular Noro protocols.

And he did say they fixed his closet door.

As far as the crowd to board, that's what happens when you arrive too early and if there happened to be a delay on the prior cruise there is a huge backlog and rush. We've learned our lesson and don't arrive until later these days.

I didn't read anything he wrote that was outrageous or that couldn't have happened.

And as far as this being his first post? Many, many people have no interest in forums as long as everything is good or status quo, if there ever is a problem(s) as in this case, that is when they seek out a message board to tell their story.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I am selling at below market price. Perhaps you might be interested in purchasing it?

Regarding the "cold food at the buffet", "People vomiting in the halls, common areas and in one of the dining rooms" and "closet door falling off its hinges in the middle of the night", this sounds like he must have been on North Korea's first cruise ship, the anti-luxurious Mangyongbong, not the Celebrity Summit. Take a look at this article for more details on a different approach to cruising: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2032602/North-Korea-launches-cruise-liner.html

article-2032602-0DA83AAF00000578-363_634x393.jpg

article-2032602-0DA83A9900000578-437_634x422.jpg

article-2032602-0DA4F11B00000578-275_634x419.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

I was on the Summit the week before. There was an issue w/ some passengers being sick and they handed out a questionnaire on the last day to see if anyone in the cabin had an issue. I did see the crew spraying down the halls & stairways in the middle of the night so maybe a deeper cleaning after passengers disembarked in the morning caused slightly longer lines for the next sailing.

However I found once we got thru the doors everything else went rather quickly and I was onboard w/ a drink in my hand within 10 minutes. I never had a problem w/ the service, food or anything else on the ship. They did have people coming around the pool asking if you needed a drink more this sailing than what I've seen before on my previous sailings on the Summit. And if not there are plenty of bars where you can go up to yourself and get a drink. Taking a few extra steps while on a cruise isn't always a bad thing, work off some of the food and drink you are consuming.

Maybe I set my standards too low but when I'm on vacation it would have to be some sort of a disaster for me have a bad time.

Why didnt you disembark at the first port of call and demand a refund?

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I am selling at below market price. Perhaps you might be interested in purchasing it?

Regarding the "cold food at the buffet", "People vomiting in the halls, common areas and in one of the dining rooms" and "closet door falling off its hinges in the middle of the night", this sounds like he must have been on North Korea's first cruise ship, the anti-luxurious Mangyongbong, not the Celebrity Summit. Take a look at this article for more details on a different approach to cruising: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2032602/North-Korea-launches-cruise-liner.html

article-2032602-0DA83AAF00000578-363_634x393.jpg

article-2032602-0DA83A9900000578-437_634x422.jpg

article-2032602-0DA4F11B00000578-275_634x419.jpg

LOL, is this the Mass Market line or Luxury line? Most certainly I would want to be in AQ at minimum, based on the photos alone... especially for the private dining room afforded.

But wait, this is exactly what some people are reporting X as being, from their recent sailings, I forgot... movie trailer to follow, I Am sure... :-D

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I was on the Summit the week before. There was an issue w/ some passengers being sick and they handed out a questionnaire on the last day to see if anyone in the cabin had an issue. I did see the crew spraying down the halls & stairways in the middle of the night so maybe a deeper cleaning after passengers disembarked in the morning caused slightly longer lines for the next sailing.

However I found once we got thru the doors everything else went rather quickly and I was onboard w/ a drink in my hand within 10 minutes. I never had a problem w/ the service, food or anything else on the ship. They did have people coming around the pool asking if you needed a drink more this sailing than what I've seen before on my previous sailings on the Summit. And if not there are plenty of bars where you can go up to yourself and get a drink. Taking a few extra steps while on a cruise isn't always a bad thing, work off some of the food and drink you are consuming.

Maybe I set my standards too low but when I'm on vacation it would have to be some sort of a disaster for me have a bad time.

We were also on the 12/10 sailing, and I agree with Snyniew's comments. We experienced great service onboard, especially in the MDR and from all the bars. There were plenty of waiters circulating around the pool, as well as mobile bars selling beer/water/soda. In fact, bar service was noticeably faster than our previous Silhouette cruise. There was no shortage of hand sanitizer, as employees were always present with it upon entering the buffet area on both sides. Additionally, we noticed hand sanitizer available at every other food venue, as well as each time you re-boarded the ship. The only real issue I had on this cruise was that the first few nights were a little rocky, and I had difficulty sleeping. Take this observation with a grain of salt though, I am extra sensitive to motion and I am sure others may not have even noticed it! This has nothing to do with Celebrity, as it was simply a result of some high winds.

We too received the questionnaire in our stateroom on the last night asking if we had experienced any gastrointestinal symptoms (fortunately we did not). The next morning on debarkation day I noticed an increased effort in cleaning. An employee came by and wiped the ledge behind where we were seated in the Oceanview Cafe no less than 3 times while we were eating breakfast.