Dress Code

LakeDude666

I am booked for my first cruise and need to put together a wardrobe. It is a silly question to you veterans of cruising or fashion in general, but what are boat shoes and are they used in the same fashion as nice running shoes. Is there a brand that is know for comfort or is it personal preference. Recommended shoe manufactures?

Would I need a pair of Dress shoes for a cruise?

I am departing Fort Lauderdale on Jan 16th for a r night cruise with stops in Key West and Bahamas. Will a windbreaker be the only jacket I will need?

Most all cruise lines have relaxed their dress codes almost to the point of "anything goes". On a short cruise you might have one "evening chic" (I believe that is what Celebrity calls it). You can dress up if you want to but it is not required so you don't need dress shoes unless you are planning to dress up.

Sperry is the name that has been associated with boat shoes for years and years. 24gk1oi.jpg

Running shoes are seen onboard as much as boat shoes.

You shouldn't need much more than a windbreaker and probably only in the evenings for that.

Edited by Scrapnana

More than likely any shoe you wear at home will be the only thing you'll need onboard...Don't over-think what you're going to wear...you really won't need anything special...cruising is more casual than you might be thinking...Enjoy...after all it's your vacation :)

I am booked for my first cruise and need to put together a wardrobe. It is a silly question to you veterans of cruising or fashion in general, but what are boat shoes and are they used in the same fashion as nice running shoes. Is there a brand that is know for comfort or is it personal preference. Recommended shoe manufactures?

I am departing Fort Lauderdale on Jan 16th for a r night cruise with stops in Key West and Bahamas. Will a windbreaker be the only jacket I will need?

Welcome to cruise critic.

I find boat shoes great for just around the ship but I prefer something with a more cushioned sole (sneakers) for when in port and doing a lot of walking.:D

Boat shoes were invented by a guy that noticed his dog was less prone to slipping on wet decks on his boat than himself. So he went about a process of analysing why this was the case and came up with shoes which would be as grippy. This is the purpose of Boat Shoes, so you only really need a pair of shoes to cope with the wet decks are a bit slippery problem. Large cruise liners vary as to whether it has been raining and is the sea rough enough to eject water all over the Lido Deck. There will be guys mopping if the latter happens.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Your runners will be fine around the ship just add a pair of regular shoes to wear for dinner.

Mid-January in Florida/Bahamas can be cool so I would pack a sweater/sweater shirt along with the windbreaker. Heck, I even had to wear a cap and mittens during a muster drill a few years ago in January.

With any luck the good weather we have been having this winter will continue.

Check the 10 day weather forecast periodically to see how the weather is tracking.

Welcome to Cruising .... warning...... it is addictive!:D

You really don't need a "special cruise wardrobe"...bring what you wear at home for the season you'll be sailing to....

"Boat" or "Deck" shoes are sort of like loafers (slip-ons) with a rubbery sole. Some have leather soles. Some are leather uppers, some are canvas.....they come in many styles. They are not required on a ship!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and enjoy your first Cruise. Bon Voyage.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Dress codes have changed a lot the last couple of years. Especially since people want to cut back on how much luggage they take since so many of us have to fly to the cruise ports and the airlines are charging for everything.

DH takes his Reeboks for day time and a nice pair of black loafers for evening.

I asked about a "dress code" for shoes for men the other day. No one had seen one or present proof of one.

Take whatever shoes you want. If you want to "dress up" your feet for dinner, just pack the non-runner shoes you own. Sperry Topsiders are a nice, comfortable, casual loafer, good for men and women. They look good with shorts, jeans, khakis, dress pants. Where I live, they seem to be the choice of shoe in the summer for men over 40 - they wear them with their Tommy Bahama shirts and cargo shorts...

I asked about a "dress code" for shoes for men the other day. No one had seen one or present proof of one.

Take whatever shoes you want. If you want to "dress up" your feet for dinner, just pack the non-runner shoes you own. Sperry Topsiders are a nice, comfortable, casual loafer, good for men and women. They look good with shorts, jeans, khakis, dress pants. Where I live, they seem to be the choice of shoe in the summer for men over 40 - they wear them with their Tommy Bahama shirts and cargo shorts...

Most cruise lines do have a dress code for shoes as well.

The Buffet have signs about no bare feet and the MDR bans thongs in the evenings.

Of course enforcement of the dress codes is another matter.

Edited by MicCanberra

Most cruise lines do have a dress code for shoes as well.

The Buffet have signs about no bare feet and the MDR bans thongs in the evenings.

Of course enforcement of the dress codes is another matter.

Would you show me the shoe code? Even some of our CC dress code police from HAL could not find it for me. Of course, no bare feet - common sense and a health code violation. But, women wear sandals in the MDR at night all the time - why not men? Smacks of discrimination to me ;)

Would you show me the shoe code? Even some of our CC dress code police from HAL could not find it for me. Of course, no bare feet - common sense and a health code violation. But, women wear sandals in the MDR at night all the time - why not men? Smacks of discrimination to me ;)

As mentioned there are signs at the buffet entrances and as you well know common sense doesn't always apply to cruise passengers.

From X's website - T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Royal is a little more flexible, however they mention having closed shoes for activities and the gym.

Princess has - Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn. and

You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear when going ashore.

And I agree about the discrimination,

I have seen women being allowed into the MDR with many things, shoes included, that a man could not. Formal night there is even more of a gap.

BTW, the dress codes are only as good as the enforcement of the policy and we all know that the staff are apprehensive to enforce the codes.

Never heard of a dress code for shoes.

We take two pairs of shoes when we travel. The pair on our feet and one other. For me, the one other pair is usually light, waterproof sandals.

So it comes down to a very comfortable pair of shoes. That is the only consideration for us. DW may take an extra pair but they not be ones that take up a lot of room in her carry on. But..we never bother with formal night in the MDR.

Edited by iancal

As mentioned there are signs at the buffet entrances and as you well know common sense doesn't always apply to cruise passengers.

From X's website - T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Royal is a little more flexible, however they mention having closed shoes for activities and the gym.

Flip-flops are those rubber things. There ARE leather sandals for men...

IMO the only thing odd is others concerning themselves with what others wear on their feet.

Well-said!

I didn't say I was concerned. I could not care less what people wear. However, that doesn't mean if someone is dressed strangely or wearing odd mixes of clothing that I would ignore it either.:D

IMO the only thing odd is others concerning themselves with what others wear on their feet.

Nobody really does care - so the only really odd things are:

A) The existence of dress codes which virtually say "anything goes",

B) The general lack of any effort to enforce whatever dress codes which might exist (with very limited exceptions).

C) The propensity of some people to choose to sail on those few lines which do have dress codes, and then try to figure out how not to comply.

D) The continuing tendency of CC posters to bother themselves with such a non-thing as a dress code with which they have no intention to comply.

I didn't say I was concerned. I could not care less what people wear. However, that doesn't mean if someone is dressed strangely or wearing odd mixes of clothing that I would ignore it either.:D

...and I didn't say "you" were concerned! However if the shoe fits wear it!

Edited by davekathy

Nobody really does care...QUOTE]

Don't fool yourself. At least there are a few that post on CC on the different Cruise line forums that are. Agree most Cruises could care less what others wear and consider it none of their business.

Those "...few that post on CC ... that are." That are what?

In any event, I do not fool myself.