Oceania compared to Princess

stevenr597

My wife and I are currently scheduled to do a Trans-Atlantic Cruise on the Royal Princess this Oct. We have traveled extensively on Princess and do like this cruise line. Recently some friends just came back on a cruise on Ocean Cruise Lines, and they were fairly impressed. We would like some thoughts as to how both lines compare. Thanks.

Having sailed both many times, the differences are night and day.

Food quality, preparation and presentation much better on O

Service level and attentiveness better on O

"Country club" atmosphere on O

Virtually no children. on O

And, yes, there is one other thing....

the price...:)

I have over a year on Princess and a half year on Oceania.

On O I find the food and service much better. O has a better staff to passenger ratio. Princess is better at entertainment due to the larger size.

O does not have on board photographers and art auctions. They are easy to avoid on Princess but they do annoy some people.

On a transatlantic there will be few children on Princess and almost or maybe none on O.

O includes more items on board. This makes pure price comparing an apple to orange thing.

O excursions cost more but they usually have packages if you book a certain number.

O allows you to bring on your own liquor.

As this a first cruise, the loyalty program rewards are not important at this point, but in the long run O has better rewards.

I looked up a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on both Princess and Oceania. Princess balcony started at $1029. Oceania balcony started at $2149.

I'm not justifying the price difference as I find them eye watering at times but just to point out Oceania prices includes taxes, Princess doesn't. So let's say $75, it comes with a drink package for meals so maybe another $200 - $300 or you could take $200 pp OBC. All specialty dining included as well as all non alcoholic drinks, bottled water and free internet, etc. The difference isn't as much as you think sometimes. You can also book a balcony guarantee for $2,099

So how much is far superior food, service, smaller ship worth. Only really comes down to a couple of hundred if you have no perks with Princess

I just sailed with O on a 12 Caribbean cruise. I have always enjoyed my cruises on Princess, but there is a distinct difference between the two lines.

Pros for Oceania:

Much better food.

Much better service.

No nickel and diming. We were never asked to get photos or buy a drink package.

The ship was in overall better condition.

There was never a wait to do anything. There was never a lineup for dinner etc.

The smaller ship created a more intimate atmosphere. You met people over and over again. Mostly this was a good thing.

Great library.

Pros for Princess:

Better entertainment and activities.

More pools and sports court.

Princess is considerably cheaper.

One thing I noticed that was neither good nor bad, and may be a product of the individual cruise I went on, but Oceania had a much wealthier and older clientele. I liked the people I met on both lines, but being in my 40s, I found I could have better time at night on Princess. On Oceania things got pretty quiet after 10 pm. Not that I need to be partying every night, but it is nice to be able to go out at night and have other people out and about.

In the end, it is an individual choice, but you really do pay for the Oceania upgrade. I personally still prefer Princess mostly because of the difference in price.

I forgot to add there was only 3 children on the Oceania cruise. They were pretty bored. I think many people cruise on Oceania to avoid kids.

Edited by RMMariner
Addition

I might have missed it in one of these posts, but Oceania price includes airfare. If you want to do your own, the price is lower by an amount that depends on where you live and where the cruise embarks and disembarks.

I might have missed it in one of these posts, but Oceania price includes airfare. If you want to do your own, the price is lower by an amount that depends on where you live and where the cruise embarks and disembarks.

It does. The pricing used above though is without air. You really need to do some homework when comparing to see what's included.

Having sailed both many times, the differences are night and day.

Food quality, preparation and presentation much better on O

Service level and attentiveness better on O

"Country club" atmosphere on O

Virtually no children. on O

And, yes, there is one other thing....

the price...:)

We sailed twice on Ocean Princess (our favorite Princess ship....now the Sirena on O) and found all those items to be better on OP than other Princess ships. I think it is more the ship size than the cruise line (and, yes, Ocean was more expensive).