Which to choose; Same price longer vs shorter?

TLDR; Which would you choose:6 day (3 ports) Empress porthole cabin out of MIA or 4 day Independence (1 port), balcony cabin out of FLL.

Our first Cruise was Majesty 4 day. Very nice. We went on Carnival last Feb for anniversary and thats when that ship had engine issues and we didn't make it to Mexico. I was upset but not really upset because we were not at home in cold Michigan!! We decided (not set in stone I'm sure) not to use Carnival again.

Planning a Feb cruise to MX. Our options;

Empress 6 day to Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya. In OV- possible obstructed or porthole view. Out of MIA. for $1213

Independence 4 day balcony to Cozumel. Just the one port. Out of FLL for $1274.

I'm considering the price about the same. I know that MIA flights are more than FLL.

We are not party, night light ppl but we like to watch all the shows and even like to watch other cruisers dancing & having a good time on the pool deck and the ships atrium. So we don't "need" a night club but like a few shows.

Thanks.

Edited by CruisingMia1107

Normally I would almost always choose longer over shorter for the same money...BUT Empress is an older MUCH smaller ship...cabins are super small...I've sailed Empress...liked it fine...but think between the 2 choices I'd go with Indy...what port does it go to?

Thanks, this is great. Empress was looking good with all the ports and length. It seems to be older than Majesty. I don't want to go backwards.

I just looked up the INDY and their only port, (Cozumel) we'll only be there until 5pm. It does make sense to look for a 7 day. I'll look now.

Thanks, this is great. Empress was looking good with all the ports and length. It seems to be older than Majesty. I don't want to go backwards.

I just looked up the INDY and their only port, (Cozumel) we'll only be there until 5pm. It does make sense to look for a 7 day. I'll look now.

Is Feb the only month you can travel?

For those prices I'd take a 7 day on MSC in an Oceanview. Ship comparable in size to Indy, but 7 days instead of 4.

But with a gun to my head Indy over Empress.

Someone else mentioned the price. I guess we should've planned this a little better. This was off the cuff thing to do. We were just planning a regluar dinner out for our anniversary.

I just looked up the 7 day and they are about $7-800 more than those mentioned. In the month of Feb 2017.

Empress 7 day February 10 - $1280 after taxes and fees

Great ports

Anthem 7 day February 26 - $977 guarantee inside

Not so great ports

Liberty 7 day February 19 from Galveston $1743 Oceanview

Great ports

FYI..msc for February is sold out for the 7 day

Best regards

If those are your only two options, for my money I'd go for the extra two days and ports. In 2015, we chose a cruise on the Maasdam, one of HAL's oldest and smallest ships, and did a lot of second guessing until the time we boarded. It was a porthole OV, our first time without a balcony, and definitely smaller than we were used to, but we spend so little time in the cabin it wasn't an issue. For us, itinerary always takes precedence, and a 50% increase in length combined with a 300% increase in ports makes it a no-brainer.

As for airports, even when cruising out of Miami we've flown into FFL and taken a shuttle to our hotel in Miami.

Ahh!! I looked at this one. President's day weekend right? Ok, so having sailed on the Empress, I would do the 6 day anyways. I mean I'm sailing on the Indy next week, but seriously, ship was not bad at all. If you are sailing for a ship, go for the Indy, if you are sailing just to relax, see ports, I would definitely go for the Empress. Seriously, the Empress is not a bad ship at all. Yes, it's missing some things, but it has this charm that I love. It's a very small, relaxing boat. The only thing that I found disappointing was the ultra small bathroom, but it didn't make the cruise horrible at all. I hope to sail the Empress again some day, but it would have to be a good itineary.

I would look at the 7 day like someone mentioned above the week before. Airfare will most likely be cheaper. I looked at the sailing and there are still some rooms with windows instead of portholes available. Not sure if you just don't want to be on Deck 3.

BTW See if you can get Category I room at the very front of the boat facing the bow. We had cabin #7000 and we grabbed some chairs off the promenade and put them in front of our window. Went out there all the time to relax and read a book. It was our "cheap man's balcony".

Edited by DisneyDatknee

I'm not sure how many people are going... 2?

Without calculating it out to govt taxes and gratuities since I don't know what the prices you are quoting include.

I see a

5 night on Feb 11 on Indy for $399 pp for an oceanview - 2 ports, Cozumel and costa maya

6 night on Feb 26 on Freedom for $598 pp for an oceanview - 3 ports, grand caymen, Cozumel, and costa maya

7 night on Feb 19 on Celebrity Silhouette for $1,265 pp for an oceanview - only mention this one because you would also get $400 OBC and either Free Drinks package, free gratuities, or unlimited internet. So, might make the higher price worthwhile

Unfortunately you are the mercy of last minute pricing right now so don't see many deals. Agree that you should check airfare before you book.

OP: Normally I'm one who would always say longer is better. But in the case of your original two options, I wouldn't opt for either of them if I had to fly. Another possibility would be the 7-night W. Caribbean on Rhapsody out of Tampa, going to Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. OV cabins start at $802 pp.

Good luck with whatever you decide!:cool:

Edited by KeywestK