Checking in with friends with no Crown & anchor status

Crusing next month with friends who have Gold status while we have Emerald. Do we need to split up or can they tag along with us? Also, does anyone have experience checking in separately from your partner. I will probably drop off the car while my wife checks in. Could that be a problem?

Thanks

Crusing next month with friends who have Gold status while we have Emerald. Do we need to split up or can they tag along with us? Also, does anyone have experience checking in separately from your partner. I will probably drop off the car while my wife checks in. Could that be a problem?

Thanks

Depends on port personnel, sometimes they let you stay together, sometimes they don't. If not, just stay with your friends, it's not s big difference.

I'd print out two copies of the SetSail pass so it's easier for your wife to check-in separately.

I just listened to a blog from a web site I don't think I can mention and the person giving the review of their trip on the Oasis just a few weeks ago was a bit upset that he could not have his mother check in with him. She is in her 80's and uses a walker and they still told him no, he could check in with her but not vice-a-versa. He was a suite guest, she was not. Apparently they were pretty cold and firm about it. Needless to say he did not make his 80 Y.O. mother check in alone.

I just listened to a blog from a web site I don't think I can mention and the person giving the review of their trip on the Oasis just a few weeks ago was a bit upset that he could not have his mother check in with him. She is in her 80's and uses a walker and they still told him no, he could check in with her but not vice-a-versa. He was a suite guest, she was not. Apparently they were pretty cold and firm about it. Needless to say he did not make his 80 Y.O. mother check in alone.

Sounds fair to me. If I'm in a Suite, my Step Dad is handicapped and uses wheel chair, my grand kids are small & using strollers, I don't expect them to be able go with me in Suite line and Suite waiting lounge. I'd have no problem walking them threw the no Crown and Anchor status...

Suites are handled differently.

As a general rule, C&A status does not afford you a huge advantage before D+ for initial checking in.

However, it is best to assume that if you want to stay together , then go by the lowest common denominator

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I disagree. They are friends, not family. They go in their line and you go in another. Or if that doesn't work for you go in theirs. We always split off from our friends....and there has never been a significant lapse in time when we are all through check in. :)

Sounds fair to me. If I'm in a Suite, my Step Dad is handicapped and uses wheel chair, my grand kids are small & using strollers, I don't expect them to be able go with me in Suite line and Suite waiting lounge. I'd have no problem walking them threw the no Crown and Anchor status...

I wish CC had a 'like' button. I totally agree with you.

We have only done one Oasis cruise at the Port Canaveral terminal. From getting dropped off at the door to being on the ship, it was less than 15 minutes. Not exactly a huge amount of time to worry about. Not sure if this is the norm but we were impressed. I wouldn't even ask if it were me but this person thought RCL handled it badly. Heck, if I were in a suite I'd kiss everyone goodbye, see you later, lol.

I'm a bit surprised :confused:...I've seen many RCI cruiser's with special needs be ushered into a separate area and whisked thru...they can usually bring one family member with them.

While I have never worried about this as I am usually there early and at the front of the line, this time I am boarding in Miami for Navigator and could be using a tent is sounds like......

The person travelling with me is a newbie, I am platinum.....I am hoping there is no issue if they are staying in the same cabin? Normally I wouldn't care, but is sounds like boarding out of the tent is a nightmare so looking for any help or advantage I can get.

I'm a bit surprised :confused:...I've seen many RCI cruiser's with special needs be ushered into a separate area and whisked thru...they can usually bring one family member with them.

the special needs boarding area is NOT the suite boarding area. some suite BA are very nice with tables set up with refreshments, a dedicated staff member to handle things like rebooking dining, getting drink packages etc, all before boarding.

SN is usually just a spot near the doorway that is closest to the elevator on the far side.

not all terminals board SN first either. usually it's wedding parties, Pinnacle, then suites. at some point during this, they might start bringing the SN people in through their access point, or they may not, and after 'general' boarding has begun will funnel them in in ones and 2s.

The check in at Port Canaveral for the Oasis of the Seas is the worst that I have experienced, ever. From the time that the shuttle let us out, we were in line for over 1 and a half hours. When we reached the door of the entrance to the terminal, there were signs for Pinnacle and suite cabins, but we were told that we needed to stay in line with everyone else.

When we reached another point, and mentioned this to one of the port agents, she said that she had told the first agent to let suites and Pinnacles in the proper line, but he ignored her.

We are not complainers, but there were some that had paid many dollars to cruise in the high end suites, and they were complaining, and yet nothing was being done to accomodate them.

All other aspects of the cruise were wonderful, including the disembarking process. Off the ship at 7:45 AM and waiting for our ride, with luggage picked up and past immigration by 7:55 AM. I was quite impressed by that.:)

Rick

You can flame me all you want but here's my take. I have EARNED my Diamond status. RC touts priority check-in for us. If we are traveling with friends why not let them stay with us? Don't give us a perc and then hang all these exceptions and disappoint us before we even get on. I get the lounge rules, there is only so much room in there and the free stuff.

Since I seem to be in the minority on this one, lets ELIMINATE priority check-in for all except special needs folks. That's the only way to be fair and keep everyone happy.

You can flame me all you want but here's my take. I have EARNED my Diamond status. RC touts priority check-in for us. If we are traveling with friends why not let them stay with us? Don't give us a perc and then hang all these exceptions and disappoint us before we even get on. I get the lounge rules, there is only so much room in there and the free stuff.

Since I seem to be in the minority on this one, lets ELIMINATE priority check-in for all except special needs folks. That's the only way to be fair and keep everyone happy.

I think you've answered your own question: you have earned your status and the perquisites that are accorded that status, but your friends have not. These perks are granted to you personally, not to all of your friends and family who might be travelling with you.

The check in at Port Canaveral for the Oasis of the Seas is the worst that I have experienced, ever. From the time that the shuttle let us out, we were in line for over 1 and a half hours. When we reached the door of the entrance to the terminal, there were signs for Pinnacle and suite cabins, but we were told that we needed to stay in line with everyone else.

When we reached another point, and mentioned this to one of the port agents, she said that she had told the first agent to let suites and Pinnacles in the proper line, but he ignored her.

We are not complainers, but there were some that had paid many dollars to cruise in the high end suites, and they were complaining, and yet nothing was being done to accomodate them.

All other aspects of the cruise were wonderful, including the disembarking process. Off the ship at 7:45 AM and waiting for our ride, with luggage picked up and past immigration by 7:55 AM. I was quite impressed by that.:)

Rick

It worries me when I read this sort of thing. Was your experience at P.C.? We did our first cruise with RCL and compared it to our many many cruises with DCL and found DCL lacking.

When we got our of our town car there was a line up of at least a 100 people. I said to DH, just think of it as a ride at WDW cause its going to take an hour. We were through that line of 100 people in 3 minutes. Then they have 10 scanners going (for comparison DCL has, I think, 1). There was a person directing traffic for this and it only took 2 minutes. Up the escalator to find that you check in by deck, another bonus in my opinion (DCL has everyone line up all together). That was another 2 minutes as there was no one in the line and lots of staff doing check in. As I have said, we were on the ship in less than 15 minutes from start to finish. I know this is true because I timed it.

So to read that its not always this way is not encouraging at all. Thank you though for the information so we can be prepared for a difference.

Thanks

What port/ship? The only time we did this was in Tampa and the ship was Jewel, We got there early and there were almost no lines, we all went up together at the line that was emerald and above, but there was nobody waiting in the other line.

In 3 cruise on Allure and Oasis we have gotten there with big crowds and the person monitoring was checking docs.

Depends on port personnel, sometimes they let you stay together, sometimes they don't. If not, just stay with your friends, it's not s big difference.

I'd print out two copies of the SetSail pass so it's easier for your wife to check-in separately.

I would agree, but I would add USUALLY not a big difference. On Oasis, my first as Diamond we decided to be one of those people going to the Park Cafe first and enjoying the Roast Beef in Central Park. We were finishing up and the line was starting to get long as the Gold and first timers made their way there. Back when Freedom was in Miami, it was quite a difference there.

Checked in for Oasis at PC on Dec. 18. DH and I each had wheelchair assistance and were whisked past the line to a special checkin station. Must have been lady's first day as it took us about 1/2 hour for her to process us and we had all kinds of forms to fill out (which I had already filled out on line). We were 1st in line and when she finally finished you would not believe the length of the line waiting in wheelchairs to checkin. I had set sail passes printed and passports open and all in order. The longest checkin we have ever experienced. After she checked us in she had to go somewhere else to get our sea pass cards and that took her at least 10 minutes.

We had number 38 for disembark and they took us off earlier than printed time and we were on our way home by 9am. Again, we were in wheelchairs so did not have to wait in line. We were taken with the Pinnacles.

I would much prefer to be able to stand in line and walk long distances, no longer possible.

PC does need a lot of help with their boarding system. Hope they fix it soon.

Checked in for Oasis at PC on Dec. 18. DH and I each had wheelchair assistance and were whisked past the line to a special checkin station. Must have been lady's first day as it took us about 1/2 hour for her to process us and we had all kinds of forms to fill out (which I had already filled out on line). We were 1st in line and when she finally finished you would not believe the length of the line waiting in wheelchairs to checkin. I had set sail passes printed and passports open and all in order. The longest checkin we have ever experienced. After she checked us in she had to go somewhere else to get our sea pass cards and that took her at least 10 minutes.

PC does need a lot of help with their boarding system. Hope they fix it soon.

Our experience with Port Canaveral happened on December 23rd. We were off the Serenade in Ft. Lauderdale, and picked up a rental car to drive north to Port Canaveral. We arrived and returned the rental car, and were shuttled to the pier at about 1:10 PM. The line outside of the terminal must have held around 2,000 people, and it took almost an hour to get to the terminal. Getting through security was easy, but then it was back to just one line to get to the agent, where there were signs for Suite and Pinnacle members, but we were told we could not use it, even tho we are Pinnacle Club members and staying in a suite.

There were wheel chair people that were being helped in a smaller, seperate line.

We boarded the ship at about 2:45 PM. Royal Caribbean needs to address this area of concern.

Rick