New question on post cruise survey

The survey they use is called the Net Promoter Score. It's an extremely common survey format used by numerous companies. Like organizations companies compare scores to rate overall satisfaction.

9s and 10s are the positives and 0 - 6 are the negatives. 7s and 8s are ignored. To calculate, you take the percentage of positives and the percentage of negatives and subtract. Hopefully, the score of positives is 25% or more over the negatives.

(Creating and analyzing surveys and results was my business for many years.)

Is it good news? When we received this survey (on Oasis early Feb), I did a second look. Are they asking because they DO NOT want them telling us to give 10's, or DO they want them to tell us to give them 10's?

Either way, glad RC is aware of the practice. I will continue to give 10s for great service and provide the names of those who were excellent.

• 7 months later...
I just completed our post cruise survey and noticed this new question added to the survey. Should go a long way in eliminating the waiters begging for perfect 10's.

image_zpsu7eyth1n.png

For the self appointed moderators, I am intentionally digging up this old thread, though I wanted to dig up an older one. Anyway, on the subject of 10's on survey and how the crew is beaten for anything under a 10 ;) I wanted to revisit the topic. I believe Royal, as much as I love her(it) is inconsistent. Inconsistent from year to year, or ship to ship at any given time. 2016 Oasis was the first time I felt pressure to give 10s. But on that cruise I pretty much wanted to do that anyway. 2017 on Adventure we were told that survey's were in our email in box when we departed the ship. But our waiter made a point to say even if you think the service was great, dinging the food at a lower score hurt them. This was the first time I felt manipulation, but I was honest with the survey. This time coming of Adventure I would have given a lot of 10s and some other scores, but no survey! I did go to Crown and Anchor's site and give my comments which were well received. I was told they would pass on my complements to the dining team I had, but only acknowledged my remark about inconsistencies in the Viking Crown Lounge - Diamond Happy hour.

For the self appointed moderators, I am intentionally digging up this old thread, though I wanted to dig up an older one. Anyway, on the subject of 10's on survey and how the crew is beaten for anything under a 10 ;) I wanted to revisit the topic. I believe Royal, as much as I love her(it) is inconsistent. Inconsistent from year to year, or ship to ship at any given time. 2016 Oasis was the first time I felt pressure to give 10s. But on that cruise I pretty much wanted to do that anyway. 2017 on Adventure we were told that survey's were in our email in box when we departed the ship. But our waiter made a point to say even if you think the service was great, dinging the food at a lower score hurt them. This was the first time I felt manipulation, but I was honest with the survey. This time coming of Adventure I would have given a lot of 10s and some other scores, but no survey! I did go to Crown and Anchor's site and give my comments which were well received. I was told they would pass on my complements to the dining team I had, but only acknowledged my remark about inconsistencies in the Viking Crown Lounge - Diamond Happy hour.

As a relatively new poster(9 months) a lot of these so called old threads are new to me so if they haven't been closed down,bring them back and if there is interest great,if no interest they will go dormant again.

It’s about time. We are the type of folks that always tip and generally over tip. After all these are the folks that help make our vacation great. Sadly our dining staff in MDR on Radiance in June were not just providing dismal service, but the second to last night the tried to guilt us into giving a 10 that we ended up in Windjammer the last night. They’re story was if we gave them a 10, it’s like them sending home 10 bowls of rice to their families back home. But if we scored them a 1, that’s like them sending home only 1 bowl of rice. And worse yet, they repeated it.

Erika

Thanks Ken for the info. I am shock beyond belief that RCL would do such a thing. It is one thing to work the crew like sl**** it is another to put them through a mind grinders like that.

We don't do Survey in this part of the world let alone giving a 10 score. I now know why the crew had beg me to do the Survey. It is just Not right. But for humanitarian reason I would now re examine what I did not do by default.

We pay our tips and cruise line tells us how they are distributed. Many threads have said that if crew don't get 10 or excellent marks,(so why are we constantly asked to give top marks?)crew don't get them and tips are not returned to passengers so where do they go?.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

How in the world can you present this fantasy as fact???

Yes there are career consequences to the surveys as our waiters have been constantly reminding us. But with all the sob stories I’ve heard from waiters pandering for better survey results - I’ve never heard anyone one say “if I get a bad score they’ll take my tips”. Have you?

I almost wish they did take tips away when employees ask for inflated survey results.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is a shame that the US government do not do anything for the crew working on board the ships and homeport in USA. They have some say for these aliens as like in China for ships homeport in China the government requires the cruiselines to give the crew one day off per week. Australia requires the cruiselines homeport there to include gratuities in the pricing to comply with the local law.

It’s about time. We are the type of folks that always tip and generally over tip. After all these are the folks that help make our vacation great. Sadly our dining staff in MDR on Radiance in June were not just providing dismal service, but the second to last night the tried to guilt us into giving a 10 that we ended up in Windjammer the last night. They’re story was if we gave them a 10, it’s like them sending home 10 bowls of rice to their families back home. But if we scored them a 1, that’s like them sending home only 1 bowl of rice. And worse yet, they repeated it.

Erika

That is taking emotional blackmail to a new level.

If they do their job right they shouldn't have to resort to this as a lot of people would mark them well anyway.

Erika

I would have said if you need to send 10 bowls of rice home give excellent service to earn it not give poor service and spoil someones dining experience.

You have earned 1 bowl of rice because you gave poor service so if you want to send more earn it,it is not fair to expect guests to do it for you.

How in the world can you present this fantasy as fact???

Yes there are career consequences to the surveys as our waiters have been constantly reminding us. But with all the sob stories I’ve heard from waiters pandering for better survey results - I’ve never heard anyone one say “if I get a bad score they’ll take my tips”. Have you?

I almost wish they did take tips away when employees ask for inflated survey results.

What fantasy,other posters who claim to be in the know have said these things.

I don't recall an MDR waiter (or any other staff member) "begging" for a high rating. I've been reminded to fill out the survey and to be honest about the service. One waiter asked that I take the time to include comments, because Headquarters pays more attention to the comments than the ratings. In my mind, that seems fine and in no way begging for a high rating.

But, as I've said elsewhere, complaining about the food should not be held against the waiters. Often, food criticism is very subjective, and a cruise ship waiter doesn't know what a person does and doesn't like.

Frankly, the only times I've ripped on RC on a survey has been over excursions.

I personally don't have a issue with someone asking politely to complete the survey. I believe that is good for us and Royal.

I do have a issue asking for high marks. However, I can't recall ever being asked to give a high score/mark.

I just returned from Harmony of the Seas on 9/30/17 and the survey was waiting for me to complete when I opened my email.

I was surprised by the question asking if any RCL employee had requested high survey marks. Kind of a catch 22 situation. In my case...both dining room waiter and cabin stewardess asked for a 10. The sad part is that neither one of them needed to do that...they both both DID provide service deserving a 10. Because of that I lied on the survey saying they hadn't asked for the high marks because I didn't want them to get into trouble.

Now that I know that question is on the survey, on my next cruise I'll tell them about the question should they mention high marks. Maybe this will dissuade them from asking in the future.

I just returned from Harmony of the Seas on 9/30/17 and the survey was waiting for me to complete when I opened my email.

I was surprised by the question asking if any RCL employee had requested high survey marks. Kind of a catch 22 situation. In my case...both dining room waiter and cabin stewardess asked for a 10. The sad part is that neither one of them needed to do that...they both both DID provide service deserving a 10. Because of that I lied on the survey saying they hadn't asked for the high marks because I didn't want them to get into trouble.

Now that I know that question is on the survey, on my next cruise I'll tell them about the question should they mention high marks. Maybe this will dissuade them from asking in the future.

This has been my experience also. Stateroom attendant, waiter and assistant waiter stress the importance of the survey and most of the time asked for a grade of 10. On the survey, I never acknowledge that RCI employees ever asked for a grade.

This has been my experience also. Stateroom attendant, waiter and assistant waiter stress the importance of the survey and most of the time asked for a grade of 10. On the survey, I never acknowledge that RCI employees ever asked for a grade.

Is it possible that they survey makers actually want all employees to ask for a 10? Most often in the MDR, the M’D will mention the same thing over the PA as he bids us farewell.

Without getting too deep in to the rationale as to why the survey makers would ask such a thing, I think it’s possible and if that’s the case, you may be screwing the employees you are trying to help.

I answered honestly, the head waiter gave a big speech on making sure they got a 10, and if something wasn't a 10 to let him know then and there so he could fix it. It was unnecessary and he went on too long about it. No one else mentioned the survey.

Is it possible that they survey makers actually want all employees to ask for a 10? Most often in the MDR, the M’D will mention the same thing over the PA as he bids us farewell.

Without getting too deep in to the rationale as to why the survey makers would ask such a thing, I think it’s possible and if that’s the case, you may be screwing the employees you are trying to help.

Interesting point.

Maybe if anyone on or going on a cruise shortly asks the crew if they are told to ask for top marks we might find out.

Personally i am with other posters in thinking they shouldn't ask but your comments made me wonder too.

I feel good now not leaving the extra tip for the crew. I will play the same game that RCL is playing. I will do the Survey and give the crew a 10. Since it is life or no job or starvation for the crew. At last it one way of screwing RCL for screwing their crew.

I feel good now not leaving the extra tip for the crew. I will play the same game that RCL is playing. I will do the Survey and give the crew a 10. Since it is life or no job or starvation for the crew. At last it one way of screwing RCL for screwing their crew.

How does not handing your steward cash screw RCCL?