New question on post cruise survey

Yikes! Hope the crew knows about this change. I'm guessing if you say yes and identify the person the ship might leave port one person less.

That being said, I agree with the addition to the questionnaire. "Begging" for ratings always struck me as sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If service is unacceptable which is rare the action is to go to reception and stop your tips and say why.I always pay my tips and give perfect reviews because if you don't the cruise line not the staff keep your tips.If I am happy with service given I always give extra tips.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Its funny I always get asked this question on cruises by all of them normally 99% of the time I give them a 10.

When I bought my new car last year the guy selling me the car said the same thing to me. I told him if he wants a 10 hes going to have to do a better job.

He wasn't too happy that I said it he said his job depends on it. :rolleyes:

Its funny I always get asked this question on cruises by all of them normally 99% of the time I give them a 10.

When I bought my new car last year the guy selling me the car said the same thing to me. I told him if he wants a 10 hes going to have to do a better job.

He wasn't too happy that I said it he said his job depends on it. :rolleyes:

Good for you. Too darn bloody bad for him. You want a 10? EARN IT.

Edited by Teeara

Thanks for letting us know about the change in the survey -- RCI is listening to us and it's a step in the right direction!

I always pay my tips and give perfect reviews because if you don't the cruise line not the staff keep your tips.

Just wondering how you know this? Sounds like wage theft to me, regardless of whether the tips are deserved. As it would say on Wikipedia, citation needed :)

We pay our tips and cruise line tells us how they are distributed. Many threads have said that if crew don't get 10 or excellent marks,(so why are we constantly asked to give top marks?)crew don't get them and tips are not returned to passengers so where do they go?.

I think that if they don't get excellent marks, they might not get re-hired/contracts renewed (or even terminated if they're bad enough). That would logically be the case.

If they get excellent scores, I have heard the MDR waitstaff have opportunities for advancement (e.g. moving up to specialty restaurants, maybe even eventually head waiter). This would also logically make sense to me.

But to not receive the gratuities (prepaid or not) from passengers? That would be like a land-based restaurant clawing back tips from servers if they got a bad review from a patron who filled out the survey link from their receipt after the meal. Unethical IMO, if not illegal in any jurisdiction.

We pay our tips and cruise line tells us how they are distributed. Many threads have said that if crew don't get 10 or excellent marks,(so why are we constantly asked to give top marks?)crew don't get them and tips are not returned to passengers so where do they go?.

That is plain and simple, illegal. The tips are extra meant for the work that the employees put in and are not part of their performance based salary. An employer is not legally allowed to withhold tips from an employee based on merit.

They don't keep the tips regardless of how the scores come back. I'm not positive, but I think that tips may even be pooled and distributed so stiffing one person may not actually mean anything to the person you are intending it to.

The survey scores are used to determine who gets re-signed, priority in contract placement, and promoted. I've also been told by a waiter (when we asked, not begging) that if they get 10s they get an extra day in port (or to sleep as many use it for) on the following sailing. The wow cards used to be a crew currency that could be converted for Internet minutes and port time, now I think they've mostly stopped that and just use survey results for similar purposes.

Think the "give us 10" plays differently when it comes to My Time.

If you think about it for MTD, you don't always get the same wait staff. So the ratings would be more for the entire staff in MTD.

Maybe in the MDT case the entire wait staff gets a large cut (bonus) to the dining services pie if they rate higher.

Personally, I still feel direct comments left play a greater roll when it comes to promotions.

Sent from a mobile device

I hope this continues to be a question on everyone's survey. I ask the waiter and head waiter on every cruise to refrain from bringing up the survey but they ignore my request. I always add this in my survey comments so it's great that Royal Caribbean is listening.

Really? Because I have never read that until I read what you posted.