New question on post cruise survey

You just posted it in your quote and you are asking what it says?:confused:

The jpg may have been blocked by his network. You can see it in his quote, but he likely just sees an icon. It is blocked on my system but I can see it on my phone.

Edited by Host Jacquelyn

I have been asked by both cabin attendants and waiters to complete the survey, but no one has ever suggested that I give a high rating. I did have one waiter say that corporate paid more attention to the comments than to the 1-10 scale, so he encouraged us to include comments about service.

I have been asked by both cabin attendants and waiters to complete the survey, but no one has ever suggested that I give a high rating. I did have one waiter say that corporate paid more attention to the comments than to the 1-10 scale, so he encouraged us to include comments about service.

I personally don't have a issue with someone asking politely to complete the survey. I believe that is good for us and Royal.

I do have a issue asking for high marks. However, I can't recall ever being asked to give a high score/mark.

Edited by troykahack

The jpg may have been blocked by his network. You can see it in his quote, but he likely just sees an icon. It is blocked on my system but I can see it on my phone.

Thank you as it is evidently blocked by my firewall because I didn't see the question, that is why I asked. Can you kindly write in your response what it says?

Edited by JTBCruiser

I personally don't have a issue with someone asking politely to complete the survey. I believe that is good for us and Royal.

I do have a issue asking for high marks. However, I can't recall ever being asked to give a high score/mark.

On one sailing that we did on Explorer our MDR waiter must have mentioned this almost every night. He actually was a very good waiter but I got so annoyed I remember saying to my brother that if the guy brings this up one more time he can kiss his good rating goodbye. At the end I overlooked the annoyance and he got what he was looking for.

This is how it should be. I'm ok with being given a reminder about the survey and that comments are encouraged, but have no interest in being told that I need to give 10s on everything. A 10 is also something that is nearly impossible to give. One cruise we had an incredible staff from head to toe. Our waiter/assistant waiter worked extremely well together, were happy, and accomodating, and went out of their way to help with anything. When they would see us around the ship they would always say hello, and one day when my mother was feeling sea sick our waiter had a bowl of chicken soup sent up to their room. Thats a 10 in service (really 11, but theres no option for that). This is what I have to compare to when I am giving out my marks. At the end of a week if a wait staff has to beg for high marks, they probably didn't earn them.

While I'm not unhappy to see the question on the survey, I'm not sure I would answer honestly. I hate to get these crew members in trouble. I do appreciate the specificity of the follow up question, but again I don't want to cause anyone to lose their jobs by asking me for high marks. I usually give high marks anyway, and I do become slightly annoyed by the constant requests for high marks so perhaps this new question will put an end to the requests. Then I won't have to mention anyone specifically. So perhaps this solves everyone's problem.

Maybe in the MDT case the entire wait staff gets a large cut (bonus) to the dining services pie if they rate higher.

Unless you don't believe RCI's grats allocation, there's no bonus to be had. Whatever grats per table customers give (most of the time the auto grats) that's what they should get. The scores should only count toward contract renewal and/or promotion.

Unless you don't believe RCI's grats allocation, there's no bonus to be had. Whatever grats per table customers give (most of the time the auto grats) that's what they should get. The scores should only count toward contract renewal and/or promotion.

According to our waiter on our last Celebrity cruise last year, the scores also counted towards additional time off in port and a couple of other benefits that I don't recall. RCI's approach may be different.

Scores are hard to use like that as a metric where multiple members in an team can interact with a single guest.

Heck, how would you differentiate the different crew members in Windjammer between breakfast, lunch, and dinner when it came to that?

What about Guest Services? That rude gal that is on the right that isn't enthusiastic about her job. While the the gal in the middle is cheery and will do anything possible to correct an issue.

The actions of one person can bring down the score of a team. But how do you find out who excels and who should get demoted with just a number?

That is why in an area like dining I can see the scores being used as a bonus for the group. Thus a strong push for 10s. Think about it, you put in the pool $6.35 for Dining Services a day. That is spread among the entire dining operation. Sure a small percentage could be used as a bonus incentive for the different parts of the operation.

At the same time I see the reasoning with one-on-one crew members like your stateroom attendant. They would strongly push for 10s with contract renewal and/or promotion in mind.

Just a wild off the wall theory I have. Now, where did I put that roll of foil???

We enjoy our cruise so always give top marks.If anyone does extra for us I always mention their full name and position on my cruise report just like I do on TripAdvisor so the person gets recognition by his/her bosses. After 43 cruises over the last 14 years I have never criticised anyone on a report but praised many

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

According to our waiter on our last Celebrity cruise last year, the scores also counted towards additional time off in port and a couple of other benefits that I don't recall. RCI's approach may be different.

Sounds like old school military. Reminds me of the days when weekend liberty was granted based on merit. The ones left behind were left to pull KP and scrubbing the latrine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like hearing that. On Oasis we had an excellent team. However, we just didn't eat that much. Some because we are weight loss surgery patients and on our first Diamond cruise we ate too much in the DL :o I really had to assure the waiter we were happy.

A number of years ago on the Vision, one member of the CD staff really worked at having great Trivia: new well research questions, attention to the demographics of the players, great attitude. I praised her to the CD. Later, she thanked me profusely for the entire afternoon (spent sleeping) she was given off based on my praise of her. Ran into her a few years later as Activities Director; still doing a great job. She is now working in corporate in Miami.

Despite a number of shortcomings I perceive in RCCL, I do think they try to promote their good people, and feedback from customers helps them identify high performers. I just hope that direct comments identifying high performers count for more than those occasionally questionable "10s".

Thom

• 1 month later...

We just got off Vision in Dubai and yes crew mentioned the survey.I happily gave 10s as they were deserved but I was concerned that the survey asks if anyone asks you to give 10s and gives a list of departments and wants you to name any department and name the individual who asks you to mark high???.There is no way I would shop anyone and I think it is wrong that they ask as I fear for that persons job if you name them.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Our last cruise we were told about the survey by both the room steward and wait staff. It was explained to us 10 is a pass anything less is a fail. We did give all 10 as it was warranted, it seemed like we were the only table asked which was fine. I work with a company that expects all employees to get all TOP Box scores, it's a formula for customer loyalty and showing share holders customer loyalty. Personally if I get OK service I don't bother with the survey, bad or good service I will do the survey. I truly believe they get punished if they get below a 10. Curious what percentage of top box surveys they need. I will take any day to be reminded of the survey for good service. It was put very politely how did we do? We said great and she told us about the survey.

Its funny I always get asked this question on cruises by all of them normally 99% of the time I give them a 10.

When I bought my new car last year the guy selling me the car said the same thing to me. I told him if he wants a 10 hes going to have to do a better job.

He wasn't too happy that I said it he said his job depends on it. :rolleyes:

It must be spreading as it happened to me recently by a car salesman. First time and it surprised me. With regards to the ship's crew, I just pay lip service and grade them on their performance.