New question on post cruise survey

Unfortunately this happens in customer service where you are made to feel special and most of it is an act to get extra tips and good reviews.

I would rather this than get substandard service though.

I am not sure what else should be expected. Do people really think the crew falls in love with 4000 new people every week?

Unfortunately this happens in customer service where you are made to feel special and most of it is an act to get extra tips and good reviews.

Yes, you're right. We prefer the excellent service even though we know it's all about the tips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Have any crew members asked for high ratings?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been asked and have thought it was very inappropriate and caused us to feel uncomfortable. If they have to ask, they're doing something wrong. If someone asks us again, I will tell them they should not. I will still give them a good rating if they have given good service, and consider that they have been warned from asking others after my comment to them regarding this practice. Hopefully it will make them think twice before doing it again...then again maybe it won't...but it's their choice.

We've been cruising quite a while now and they always mention the survey but rare that we've been asked for tens. Usually it's 'if you feel you've received excellent service then please let them know on the survey.' Even if they actually ask for a ten, I've never felt uncomfortable even if they didn't deserve it. We always have a great cruise and that 30 second speech from the person who waited on me all week is such an insignificant part of the experience. We just say, "Thanks. No problem" and then head out for more fun.

We've been cruising quite a while now and they always mention the survey but rare that we've been asked for tens. Usually it's 'if you feel you've received excellent service then please let them know on the survey.' Even if they actually ask for a ten, I've never felt uncomfortable even if they didn't deserve it. We always have a great cruise and that 30 second speech from the person who waited on me all week is such an insignificant part of the experience. We just say, "Thanks. No problem" and then head out for more fun.

I agree with your post, but almost always we have been asked by both the waiter and assistant waiter for a rating of 10.

I have been asked for 10s. After the third time on my recent Radiance cruise I did tell the waiter to stop and that we are asked this question on the survey. The maitre'd should be the one telling them to stop asking.

Thats what i always thought then someone posted a thought about marketing and 10s and myself and another poster thought the same that it might be a marketing tool get all the crew to ask for 10s then they can market it as x% gave top marks

The real reason is if everything is 10's, more cuts can be made, so long as they can still keep asking for and receiving 10's nothing ever actually improves and cuts are made until a 10 can no longer be achieved even by asking for one. Asking for artificially high scores is nothing more than a play out of the race to the bottom business book.

10 indicates a perfect score. Nothing in the dining room could be improved upon?

It does not have to be either or. Someone doesn't have to be sugary sweet to me in order for me to perceive I have received good service. Good service speaks for itself and does not need further cajoling or convincing of the guests.

The flaw in the system is that an 8 or 9 is not viewed as "Very good". It is 0-9 = fail. 10 = pass. If the system were scaled how normal consumers would think, a 6, 7, 8, or 9 would be satisfactory to very good; a crew member would face no recrimination or deduction from their checks for 7's or 8's. But they do.

If you ever do a galley tour look for the score sheet on the wall. on our last cruise we were told that a score below 92 would result in some portion of gratuity being withheld from staff. When 10's are the only thing that count, achieving a 92% is very difficult. Many scores were in the 86-95 range. I don't know how much is withheld, but remember, any paid gratuity to the company is distributed how management sees fit, not how guests see fit.

Was does this mean"third party hosting"? I don't get it.

That means photos from Photobucket are accessed from a third-party site, such as Cruise Critic. Photobucket doesn't like this because you're just seeing the photos, not the ads on Photobucket's site.

It does not have to be either or. Someone doesn't have to be sugary sweet to me in order for me to perceive I have received good service. Good service speaks for itself and does not need further cajoling or convincing of the guests.

The flaw in the system is that an 8 or 9 is not viewed as "Very good". It is 0-9 = fail. 10 = pass. If the system were scaled how normal consumers would think, a 6, 7, 8, or 9 would be satisfactory to very good; a crew member would face no recrimination or deduction from their checks for 7's or 8's. But they do.

If you ever do a galley tour look for the score sheet on the wall. on our last cruise we were told that a score below 92 would result in some portion of gratuity being withheld from staff. When 10's are the only thing that count, achieving a 92% is very difficult. Many scores were in the 86-95 range. I don't know how much is withheld, but remember, any paid gratuity to the company is distributed how management sees fit, not how guests see fit.

We might do the galley tour next time so will look out for that.

Excellent service does for me.

I have been asked for 10s. After the third time on my recent Radiance cruise I did tell the waiter to stop and that we are asked this question on the survey. The maitre'd should be the one telling them to stop asking.
I guess my larger point is I don't understand people's annoyance with a 30 second speech from someone who has been providing a service to you. JMHO.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I guess my larger point is I don't understand people's annoyance with a 30 second speech from someone who has been providing a service to you. JMHO.

My point is why do they feel they have to ask? Other cruise lines don't need to. They all do such a great job yet on Royal become so anxious.

We once had a waiter actually show us a picture of his family back home when he was asking our table to give him 10s. Talk about uncomfortable! You have been lucky! I can't remember now if that was RCCL or Carnival, but makes no difference. I was very annoyed. I think I did add the comment to my survey that I was asked for a good rating, but I did not say specifically who asked me so as to not get him in trouble.

Very interesting post. Does not seem fair that the majority of waiters and assistant waiters are having their tips being reduced/withheld. Wonder what percent get a score under 92%. What does RCI do with the withheld amount of tips?

One thirty second speech isn't too bad, but several thirty second speeches over several nights is a bit much, don't you think?

My point is why do they feel they have to ask? Other cruise lines don't need to. They all do such a great job yet on Royal become so anxious.

Was on a celebrity cruise last month, was asked by the waiter for tens on the survey.

even told that tens for the food quality was also required as anything less than ten for both reflects bad on the wait staff.