New question on post cruise survey

There needs to be an official investigation into why staff is not being given the tips passengers have paid for and intended them to have. That is robbery, clear and simple. How is that allowed??? And where is that money? When I load the tip amount onto our account, I expect it to go to the people for whom it was intended. I will now hand the people cash in an envelope, which is a pain in the neck, but at least I know my hard earned money is going to hard working people and not to the cruiselines's coffers.

P&O UK is not RCCL US and I have yet to see anything proving RCCL is pocketing tips.

In Europe there is a different mentality on tipping: they don’t. So if there is a larger % if folks over there pulling tips, and the P&O has an understanding that a pulled tip does not necessarily equate to poor service, maybe it makes sense for the to distribute the smaller tip pool based on a survey. And P&O is not the line that is saying “all 10s” so let’s not conflate the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

LMaxwell posted the following on this thread regarding RCCL pocketing tips:

If you ever do a galley tour look for the score sheet on the wall. on our last cruise we were told that a score below 92 would result in some portion of gratuity being withheld from staff. When 10's are the only thing that count, achieving a 92% is very difficult. Many scores were in the 86-95 range. I don't know how much is withheld, but remember, any paid gratuity to the company is distributed how management sees fit, not how guests see fit.

If you ever do a galley tour look for the score sheet on the wall. on our last cruise we were told that a score below 92 would result in some portion of gratuity being withheld from staff. When 10's are the only thing that count, achieving a 92% is very difficult. Many scores were in the 86-95 range. I don't know how much is withheld, but remember, any paid gratuity to the company is distributed how management sees fit, not how guests see fit.

I did not say they pocketed tips. I said they distribute how they see fit, not how the guest sees fit. Frankly, I do not know what happens to any "withheld" amount, if it goes to general crew welfare funds, or how it is accounted for at that point. When you pay it to the company you relinquish control over who it goes to and in what amount.

I did not say they pocketed tips. I said they distribute how they see fit, not how the guest sees fit. Frankly, I do not know what happens to any "withheld" amount, if it goes to general crew welfare funds, or how it is accounted for at that point. When you pay it to the company you relinquish control over who it goes to and in what amount.

Well, if that is truly the case (and who knows for sure?) that is still somewhat shady to say the least. I have no idea if the people I want to have my tips actually get them. Until now, I assumed they did.

Well, if that is truly the case (and who knows for sure?) that is still somewhat shady to say the least. I have no idea if the people I want to have my tips actually get them. Until now, I assumed they did.

I agree with your point and I understand what you were saying. But in the future someone will attack me (I'm kind of a lightning rod around here) so I just wanted to maintain accuracy of my statements :cool:

I’m sorry, but what somebody said on a galley tour does not pull as much weight as what RCCL says they are doing on their website:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

Now they have some wiggle room in what “dining services” and “other hotel services” means, but it is clear that the tips are going to folks who work in those classifications - not to the corporate coffers.

And it would not surprise me in the least if the person doing the telling with respect to the 92% was telling the truth but omitting what happens with scores significantly above 92%.

I think most would agree that the vast majority of people who remove tips do so because they are cheap, not because they were unhappy with the service - that’s why there was tip-pooling long before there was auto-grats. But I also know there were many complaints that service declined once the auto-grats went in to effect. So using the surveys to try and restore the original intent of tips makes all the sense in the world to me.

BUT... the problem with opinion surveys, is everyone’s opinion is based on their past experience. Encouraging employees to ask for 10s is more than likely an attempt to take some of that out and I think that’s a mistake. If you’ve had better past experiences, that should be a factor in how you tip (or how your tips are dispersed)this time around and vice-versa.

I’m sorry, but what somebody said on a galley tour does not pull as much weight as what RCCL says they are doing on their website:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

Now they have some wiggle room in what “dining services” and “other hotel services” means, but it is clear that the tips are going to folks who work in those classifications - not to the corporate coffers.

And it would not surprise me in the least if the person doing the telling with respect to the 92% was telling the truth but omitting what happens with scores significantly above 92%.

I think most would agree that the vast majority of people who remove tips do so because they are cheap, not because they were unhappy with the service - that’s why there was tip-pooling long before there was auto-grats. But I also know there were many complaints that service declined once the auto-grats went in to effect. So using the surveys to try and restore the original intent of tips makes all the sense in the world to me.

BUT... the problem with opinion surveys, is everyone’s opinion is based on their past experience. Encouraging employees to ask for 10s is more than likely an attempt to take some of that out and I think that’s a mistake. If you’ve had better past experiences, that should be a factor in how you tip (or how your tips are dispersed)this time around and vice-versa.

Go take a tour and spend time talking to the staff. RCI lists the distribution buckets but nowhere do they ever claim all of it is distributed. Remember, disbursement is how management ultimately sees fit. You don't HAVE to take my word, but go find out yourself.

So what is the general consensus? Should cruisers continue to give the staff the grade of “10” on the survey? Or as some have suggested, pay the stateroom attendant, waiter, assistant waiter, etc in cash.

P&O UK is not RCCL US and I have yet to see anything proving RCCL is pocketing tips.

In Europe there is a different mentality on tipping: they don’t. So if there is a larger % if folks over there pulling tips, and the P&O has an understanding that a pulled tip does not necessarily equate to poor service, maybe it makes sense for the to distribute the smaller tip pool based on a survey. And P&O is not the line that is saying “all 10s” so let’s not conflate the issue.

They are a Carnival company and Carnival has just sold P&O Adonia to Azamara even though they were still taking bookings days before the sale was announced.

It shows Carnival as an American company are calling the shots so P&O tipping strategy is relevant to us all.

Which is wrong when we give tips in good faith.

So what is the general consensus? Should cruisers continue to give the staff the grade of “10” on the survey? Or as some have suggested, pay the stateroom attendant, waiter, assistant waiter, etc in cash.

Give 10's if 10's are warranted. Give whatever score is warranted by the service received. Giving 10's for anything less than stellar service is shortchanging guests.

Give 10's if 10's are warranted. Give whatever score is warranted by the service received. Giving 10's for anything less than stellar service is shortchanging guests.

It seems though if you pay your gratuitys but don't give a 10 your waiters or cabin steward might not get the tip you paid for them.

You are literally forced in these circumstances to give 10s which is wrong if for example you got very good service which normally in my view would be worth 8 or 9 then you have to lie to give a 10 so your tips go where you intended them to go.

It seems though if you pay your gratuitys but don't give a 10 your waiters or cabin steward might not get the tip you paid for them.

You are literally forced in these circumstances to give 10s which is wrong if for example you got very good service which normally in my view would be worth 8 or 9 then you have to lie to give a 10 so your tips go where you intended them to go.

I agree with your post. I want all of my tips to go to the staff as designated. To have this happen, seems you must give them all “10s”. Sure defeats the purpose of a survey.

Yes, but anything less than a 10 will shortchange the RCI employee.

I agree with your post. I want all of my tips to go to the staff as designated. To have this happen, seems you must give them all “10s”. Sure defeats the purpose of a survey.

This. We just got back last weekend (I'm not mentioning the ship as I don't want to potentially get anyone in trouble) but our wait staff twice practically begged us to give 10's on the survey. I thought they had done away with this but apparently not. I did give them 10's as well as my cabin attendant as they truly were awesome, as well as some extra cash to go along with the auto grats.

Hope it is alright to ask this question on this thread as it is loosely connected to the issues raised......

On our Rhapsody cruise which finished a few days ago we gave extra tips in cash (in WOW envelopes - new to us as first Royal cruise) to our superb waiter, assistant waiter and stateroom attendant who all went the extra mile.

I am hoping that they can keep the extra cash - but is that the case or do they have to "hand it in"?

We did get a few comments from them about the importance of the survey and "10's" but only AFTER they had provided impeccable service all week.

My finger slipped during the survey (joke!) and I answered that no one had mentioned it to us......

Hope it is alright to ask this question on this thread as it is loosely connected to the issues raised......

On our Rhapsody cruise which finished a few days ago we gave extra tips in cash (in WOW envelopes - new to us as first Royal cruise) to our superb waiter, assistant waiter and stateroom attendant who all went the extra mile.

I am hoping that they can keep the extra cash - but is that the case or do they have to "hand it in"?

We did get a few comments from them about the importance of the survey and "10's" but only AFTER they had provided impeccable service all week.

My finger slipped during the survey (joke!) and I answered that no one had mentioned it to us......

I don't think anyone knows for certain if the cash tips given in person are kept by the person or if they have to be handed in/pooled together. I've heard both yes and no. Personally I really think they should be allowed to keep any additional cash tips, as they've earned them.

It gives their marketing people bragging rights to claim a massive proportion of people give excellent on feedback.

So what prevents anyone from just not doing the survey? I'm not a fan of surveys anyway, and they certainly can't force you to do it.

That's a good point... if there is a sudden downturn in completed surveys I'm sure the powers that be will quickly want to find out why.