We have committed a serious crime

Spursgirl

I think that those of you who post on this board regularly will consider that we have committed a serious crime.

After about two months of prevarication we have cancelled our Marina cruise and booked an Azamara one in its place.

I know there are many aspects of Marina that we would love, she looks a stunningly beautiful ship and the food is often described as among the best at sea. The afternoon tea would have been a real treat once or twice during the cruise and the speciality restaurants sound interesting.

So why did we cancel? We just felt after reading this board and our roll call assiduously that we might not be the right fit for the brand.

Our cruise was a beautiful port intensive Mediterranean itinerary and our roll call friends were booking delightful private tours for most of the stops. We know the Mediterranean well and were planning do it yourself days to our favourite spots.

Many friends who have sailed with Oceania have told us that many guests retire early. This is not surprising if they have had a long tour with the prospect of an early start the following day.

While we are not party animals, we are gregarious people and like to have lively conversations and fun with our fellow guests and crew. In the end we weren't sure if we would find this vibe on Marina.

We returned from our first Viking Ocean cruise at the weekend (a very nice product) but found the ship to be too quiet for us after the show finished at 10pm.

I hope in the future we will have the opportunity to cruise together on Oceania or another line but for now the decision has been made.

Would prefer not be flamed but I can take it:D

Happy future sailings to all

I think that those of you who post on this board regularly will consider that we have committed a serious crime.

After about two months of prevarication we have cancelled our Marina cruise and booked an Azamara one in its place.

I know there are many aspects of Marina that we would love, she looks a stunningly beautiful ship and the food is often described as among the best at sea... So why did we cancel? We just felt after reading this board and our roll call assiduously that we might not be the right fit for the brand.

I hope in the future we will have the opportunity to cruise together on Oceania or another line but for now the decision has been made.

Despite your obvious attempt to be provocative, I'm going to disappoint you. I sincerely hope you have a great cruise on Azamara. Your decision doesn't impact me. I don't worry or doubt my own opinion because you came to a different conclusion.

Here's to a happy and successful experience on the cruise you're writing about and any others you may take. Here's an equally sincere wish that Oceania cruisers have a happy and successful experience.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Not every cruise line is a fit for everyone. Just as Oceania might not be a great fit for you, I doubt Carnival would be either (even though their night life is extensive). Azamara is a fantastic product for its demographic.

The more information that you gather on any cruise line, whether it be from a TA, friends or internet reviews, the more likely you will be to make the proper decision for you. There is nothing wrong with changing your mind.

At the end of the day you have worked hard for your money. Spend it wisely.

Despite your obvious attempt to be provocative, I'm going to disappoint you. I sincerely hope you have a great cruise on Azamara. Your decision doesn't impact me. I don't worry or doubt my own opinion because you came to a different conclusion.

Here's to a happy and successful experience on the cruise you're writing about and any others you may take. Here's an equally sincere wish that Oceania cruisers have a happy and successful experience.

Thank you for your nice post although I should add that I wasn't aiming to be provocative at all.

There is a part of me that regrets I won't experience Oceania but I am content with our decision.

We are all fortunate people to have so many different cruise choices to select from.

Not sure the reason you would believe that a 'Flaming' was imminent, yet on this particular board, you will find most everyone 'civil' to a fault. If you wanted see flames just take a look at Celebrity, RCI, Carnival and the like.. LOL

Be fine with your decision and have fun!

bon voyage

Since pardons seem to be in season, I am sure you will qualify for one (a joke).

Oh for sure more pardons!!

We like to try different lines so I think the OP should too.

For now Oceania is the best fit for us but we are always open to try something new.

Ditto....enjoy Azamara and many more happy cruises for you and Lottie A.

Since Azamara started including alcoholic beverages as part of its base fare, the ships have gotten a lot more lively. I find the "lively" pleasant at times. But sometimes it's just plain loud and unpleasant; the kind of loud where everyone is talking at the same time and the volume of the conversation increases the later in the evening it gets.

After numerous Azamara cruises, we're sailing with Oceania. I'm happy to pay for drinks one at a time.:)

Reasonable people would never flame you for changing your mind. You may well have made the right decision. If you didn't, unless you hate your new cruise you still won't be wrong.

If you found the Viking ship too quiet, my guess is that you'd feel the same about Oceania. I'm not sure what you mean by "lively discussions" though ...

But the ship is usually very quiet after dinner and the show, that's true. (I'm one of the quiet ones myself. I prefer it that way.)

We haven't sailed on Azamara yet but from what I've read, I'm sure we'd be happy there as well.

Mura

Who cares what ship you sail on as long as you are happy with your choice

Enjoy your cruise

Do not know why you even posted such a silly post :eek:

People change their minds for various reasons all the time

JMO

Edited by LHT28

Interesting. We like both Azamara and Oceania, but after at least 10 cruises on both lines, overall prefer the ambiance onboard Azamara. Some of the food has been better on Oceania, not always though. If you get the chance, do try either Marina or riviera in the future, they are very nice. But yes, I do understand!

Edited by durante

I don't have a problem with you changing your mind - you have done more than most people will do. You did your reasearch and based on that you decided that O would not be a good fit for you. That's better than not doing the reasearch and paying a lot of money to be unhappy.

However, I do have a minor problem with your decision. You'll never TRULY know if O is a bad fit for you unless you try it yourself. Relying on others' opinion may not always be accurate as they may not be just like you - there is nothing like first hand experience :)

Maybe you'll try O next time; or maybe you'll find that Azamara fits you perfectly.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Paulchili

I have cruised and enjoyed both Azamara and Oceania. I would say the nightlife on both lines is pretty dead after the show. Especially if it is a port intensive cruise. I do enjoy my Elite Plus benefits on AZ but much prefer the 2 larger ships and dining on Oceania. For now the choice is Oceania.

Ditto....enjoy Azamara and many more happy cruises for you and Lottie A.

Thank you portofinoitaly,

Lottie A and I are fortunate enough to always find things to be happy about on a cruise.

I know that you have decided to give Azamara another try. Here's hoping your next experience is more enjoyable than the last time you sailed with them

I don't have a problem with you changing your mind - you have done more than most people will do. You did your reasearch and based on that you decided that O would not be a good fit for you. That's better than not doing the reasearch and paying a lot of money to be unhappy.

However, I do have a minor problem with your decision. You'll never TRULY know if O is a bad fit for you unless you try it yourself. Relying on others' opinion may not always be accurate as they may not be just like you - there is nothing like first hand experience :)

Maybe you'll try O next time; or maybe you'll find that Azamara fits you perfectly.

Enjoy your cruise.

You are absolutely correct. I have not tried the Oceania product and my perception may be completely wrong as I know there are many things about Marina that I would have enjoyed very much.

It may sound crazy to some but it just didn't feel right even though I couldn't have wished for a more lovely itinerary.

But never say never...............

Who cares what ship you sail on as long as you are happy with your choice

Enjoy your cruise

Do not know why you even posted such a silly post :eek:

People change their minds for various reasons all the time

JMO

+1 Very good answer. :)

It was a joint decision of Spursgirl and myself to cancel our Oceania Marina cruise. Believe me, we agonised about it for weeks because the itinerary was just about perfect for us and we had a lovely cabin. I have been on Marina before and while she is a beautiful ship with great food, I knew that it just wouldn't have that special Azamara vibe that we both love so much.

IMHO Azamara is much more lively than Oceania, Silversea or Viking at night....I think it's since The Living Room was revamped in the "reimagining" last year. We are not party animals, but do like to chat, have a cocktail or two and dance. I have never seen anyone the "worse for drink" on AZ....just happy and mellow, dancing and having fun.

We are all so lucky to have the ability to cruise on these wonderful cruise lines and while Azamara is our favourite at the moment, we may well consider Oceania in the future. We would just have to take all our Azamara friends with us! :)

Happy Future Cruising everyone.

Oh....and no one on the Azamara board would accuse someone of posting "a silly post". How rude is that?

Spursgirl wanted to let people know why we had cancelled our O cruise, especially as we have been having conversations with some O cruisers who had been very helpful to us and may possibly care that we had cancelled our cruise. Showing so little respect for other people and their posts is hopefully not typical of most O cruisers.

Edited by Lottie A
Added a paragraph.

It was a joint decision of Spursgirl and myself to cancel our Oceania Marina cruise. Believe me, we agonised about it for weeks because the itinerary was just about perfect for us and we had a lovely cabin. I have been on Marina before and while she is a beautiful ship with great food, I knew that it just wouldn't have that special Azamara vibe that we both love so much.

IMHO Azamara is much more lively than Oceania, Silversea or Viking at night....I think it's since The Living Room was revamped in the "reimagining" last year. We are not party animals, but do like to chat, have a cocktail or two and dance. I have never seen anyone the "worse for drink" on AZ....just happy and mellow, dancing and having fun.

We are all so lucky to have the ability to cruise on these wonderful cruise lines and while Azamara is our favourite at the moment, we may well consider Oceania in the future. We would just have to take all our Azamara friends with us! :)

Happy Future Cruising everyone.

Oh....and no one on the Azamara board would accuse someone of posting "a silly post". How rude is that?

Spursgirl wanted to let people know why we had cancelled our O cruise, especially as we have been having conversations with some O cruisers who had been very helpful to us and may possibly care that we had cancelled our cruise. Showing so little respect for other people and their posts is hopefully not typical of most O cruisers.

Well said and the well researched reasons are yours and yours alone.

And, I fully agree with the your statement. Being accused of making "a silly post" for sharing an opinion rude.

I know there are many aspects of Marina that we would love, she looks a stunningly beautiful ship and the food is often described as among the best at sea. The afternoon tea would have been a real treat once or twice during the cruise and the speciality restaurants sound interesting.

So why did we cancel? We just felt after reading this board and our roll call assiduously that we might not be the right fit for the brand.

Our cruise was a beautiful port intensive Mediterranean itinerary and our roll call friends were booking delightful private tours for most of the stops. We know the Mediterranean well and were planning do it yourself days to our favourite spots.

Many friends who have sailed with Oceania have told us that many guests retire early. This is not surprising if they have had a long tour with the prospect of an early start the following day.

While we are not party animals, we are gregarious people and like to have lively conversations and fun with our fellow guests and crew. In the end we weren't sure if we would find this vibe on Marina.

We returned from our first Viking Ocean cruise at the weekend (a very nice product) but found the ship to be too quiet for us after the show finished at 10pm.

It took me a few minutes to figure out what you were trying to say at the beginning of your post. I think I've figured it out - you were procrastinating, not prevaricating, for about two months. If it was the latter, than I'm not sure we can take anything you've said in the rest of your post as gospel. :p

Thank you portofinoitaly,

Lottie A and I are fortunate enough to always find things to be happy about on a cruise.

I know that you have decided to give Azamara another try. Here's hoping your next experience is more enjoyable than the last time you sailed with them

Thank you (Hazel I believe?) I am trying AZ again because it is a perfect itinerary. I had said never again, but the itinerary and the refurb is why I will be there.

The places we will experience and timing are more important than the ship. I do anticipate we will have a lovely cruise because although our last adventure with AZ did not meet our expectations, the ports were wonderful. Ports and new adventures is why we cruise, the ships are just a floating hotel for us.

Never say never, and I do hope we meet up one day and have that lovely glass of wine. Life is about enjoyment and whatever makes YOU happy. :)

....and no one on the Azamara board would accuse someone of posting "a silly post". How rude is that?

JMO

Like I said WHO REALLY CARES why people cancel their cruise

I would care if I was paying your way but I am not so people have to do what works for them

It is silly to worry about what others think of you cancelling a cruise or defecting to another line etc...

There is no perfect cruise line that works for all

Edited by LHT28

It took me a few minutes to figure out what you were trying to say at the beginning of your post. I think I've figured it out - you were procrastinating, not prevaricating, for about two months. If it was the latter, than I'm not sure we can take anything you've said in the rest of your post as gospel. :p

Could it be the autocorrect gremlin striking again? :D

I'm worried now! We've booked Riviera in the Med in July. We like to eat around 8:30 and enjoy a leisurely dinner. Is everyone going to be in their beds by the time we come out of dinner?!?!

probably not

They may be in the lounge or at the bars