Is it just us noticing new cruises prices have gone crazy

justfred

We generally cruise about 3 times each year, and have done for many years.

It just seems that most future cruises have doubled in price from last year.

What is going on here, are the cruise lines trying to get rid of us oldies and just looking for new money!!. We think that they are taking a big risk.

Any thoughts on this subject would be most appreciated

Chris & Pete

What is going on here, are the cruise lines trying to get rid of us oldies and just looking for new money!!. We think that they are taking a big risk.

Chris & Pete

Demand is up. They can pretty much charge whatever they want to when demand is up.

Chris & Pete

I have noticed the same thing! Also, I'm getting very inpatient with the non-release of the May 2018 and beyond cruise schedules for RCCL. Carnival has itineraries available through April 2019, Norwegian through May 2020, Celebrity April 2019, Princess December 2018.... C'Mon Royal!! I want to plan my summer 2018 vacation!!!

I've been griping about this for several months. Same ship (Liberty) same time (April) is almost double what we paid last April for a balcony $1640. Our next cruise on Liberty this April cost us $1138 for an interior.

However, it really depends on the ship, as I found a deal on a Grand Suite on Vision coming to Galveston in November. Yes, its just a 4 day cruise but I was able to book the suite total for $1693...tax title and license! 2 people! This will give us the double points we need to reach D+ and finally get into a suite! That is the same price as our April Balcony on Liberty last April albeit a 7 day.

So it pays to really shop all the ships and all the itins to get the best deal. But I agree in general, pricing IS way up.

Edited by BecciBoo

Chris & Pete

Agreed. We have cruised the same week for the past few years and the prices this year have been crazy. And not just the cruises...hotels and airfare as well. Granted we are travelling during Presidents week but we never had a problem getting a decent price for everything. This year was a lot more but we sucked it up instead of not going :D.

Well after all the years of prices remaining pretty much the same, I guess they had to rise.

Our first cruise was 2004, did the same cruise in 2014, same price (actually fractionally less) same cruise last December, up slightly, saw the same cruise for this December, a massive increase about 35%.

I've just been on the website to look at my cruise I booked seeing if it's gone up in price. It's exactly the same BUT now i could of booked a balcony cabins for £130 quid cheaper!! Can't believe it

7 night western carribean 8th Oct allure balcony £462!?!?!

Same cruise interior £592. Is that not a good deal?

30sept harmony western Caribbean balcony £550??!!!

Looking on the bright side and because many of the cruise lines that we have been dedicated to like Rccl and Celebrity who in our opinion have hiked their prices so high that we are now seriously looking at some alternative lines who are not quite so greedy.

The risk that Rccl & Celeb (who have cut back on quality of food etc) are taking is that maybe once we have tried other lines we might not want to return to them.?.

Their prices have risen in some cases by as much as 50 to 75%, while the majority of peoples incomes have been stagnated, its taken Rccl/Celeb many years to establish their loyal following and they could loose it all in a flash.

We're RC fans for sure and for the 3 & 4 day cruises we book often last minute and don't care too much about accommodations. However, as my wife and I still both work, our 7 day or longer cruises we are willing to spend more and if the price is right, we splurge for at very least a balcony (typically more if possible).

Agree prices are higher than we've seen in the past, but we look at it as an opportunity to spread our wings. Not long ago booked the MSC Yacht Club Royal Suite (only two on the ship) for May 2018 at not much more than a Junior Suite on Harmony of the Seas.

All of our upcoming RC cruises we've booked at opportunistic times and we are fortunate our schedules are somewhat flexible. For us it's all a matter of looking at all opportunities and taking advantage when they come.

John

Chris & Pete

Yes they have and the quality has gone down.

As others said as long as they are sailing full, prices go up... Then they are still cheaper then 30 years ago. A lot!

Then with the value of the dollar going up, prices should go down. Not the Case. As a RCCL frequent floater even more fascinating are the so called "SALES" when most sailings actually go up in cost. When added to other cut backs we are approaching a point of giving up on RCCL

Thanks to the OP for this timely post.

It is called capitalism.

Having cruised since 1989 the year of the sovereign class release, we ended cruising in January 2015. Most of this time was on Celebrity. We cruise via cruise critic now!

We are not interested in purchasing the cruise product these days and the many cut backs disappoint. Add to this the increased hassal of travel and rapidly escalating costs - we reached our tipping point.

The cruise lines will charge what they want until consumers say no. They will continue to cut until customers say no.

Obviously consumers are thrilled with cruising hence pricing.

ABoatNerd

Chris & Pete

Agree 100%, if it weren't the fact I'm a Diamond Member I would be booking my next cruise on an another cruise line.l

they have to pay for all that "free" stuff somehow......Diamonds rejoice.....:cool:

Oh!!, you mean the "free" Ultimate drinks package that seems mandatory to throw at you these days.

OBC also looks to be lower going forward.

Chris & Pete

The cruise lines can charge whatever they want. You can decide to pay that if you want.

If they cannot sell the ship out at the price they are charging, they will lower the price. If they do sell the ship out at that price, the price will not go down.

They are a for profit company, not a charity. They have no interest in giving away anything for less money than they can extract from everyone.

If they could charge $5000 a day for a cruise and people would pay it, then they would charge that amount.

It always amazes me when people complain about the price of something and compare what they paid for the service/item previously and wonder why the price went up.

Edited by reedl