Other than water? MDR question

masterty

Lots of discussions about coffee in the MDR. What else besides coffee and water is available to drink when dining in the MDR without purchasing a beverage package?

Is it the same breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Thank you in advance for any information you may have.

you have listed 4 Princss cruises you've been on and don't know what drinks are free in dining room?????????????

Two of them are in the future.

And to be fair I've been on plenty of Princess cruises, but never once had any of the free drinks other than maybe two or three coffees in the Horizontal Court or Panorama Buffet.

Lots of discussions about coffee in the MDR. What else besides coffee and water is available to drink when dining in the MDR without purchasing a beverage package?

Is it the same breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Thank you in advance for any information you may have.

Other than water, coffee, and decaf coffee, ice tea and hot tea (with the usual selection of herbal and caffeinated teas) are available.

You can buy individual drinks in the MDR without a beverage package. I have used that to get a can of soda (e.g. Sprite Zero) with dinner or single glasses of wine, or after dinner aperitif. Much cheaper than a beverage package when one is not a frequent drinker of costly beverages.

For breakfast one can get 4 oz. glasses of juice free, although on occasion they may charge for cranberry juice.

In addition to coffee and water, free beverages include hot teas (most ordinary kinds--green tea, decaffeinated, and several herbal varieties), iced tea, and milk. Free beverages at breakfast, in addition to the other ones, include a variety of juices--most of the usual ones, such as orange, grapefruit, cranberry, tomato, etc.

(I noticed Times Prince was typing at the same time. In our experience, we've never been limited to just one glass of juice at breakfast. DH usually orders two. We're not cranberry juice drinkers, so I did not know some folks get charged for it. I know others at breakfast with us have ordered it, but perhaps they had beverage cards.)

Edited by geoherb

I've had multiple glasses of grapefruit or tomato juice at breakfast. Not a problem. There's really no reason there should be. I've also ordered multiple glasses of juice with room service breakfast. I actually plan to do that exact thing on our next cruise. I want OJ in my cabin for morning Mimosas on the balcony. :)

you have listed 4 Princss cruises you've been on and don't know what drinks are free in dining room?????????????

I did not ask the question to waste your time. I have always purchased beverage packages but gave up soda a year ago and have decided to not purchasing a beverage card this upcoming trip.

I bring the sugar free stick packets of water flavoring to add to my water. They are small and fit in my evening bag and come in a zillion flavors. I have seen others do the same. I would drink the iced tea, but it is dreadful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get cranberry juice every time I have breakfast in the MDR. No charge ever.

Sounds like someone got suckered into paying for juice at breakfast.

We always get some juice to stash in the fridge for mixers later in the day when they charge for juice.

An empty 16 oz soda bottle works great.

I bring the sugar free stick packets of water flavoring to add to my water. They are small and fit in my evening bag and come in a zillion flavors. I have seen others do the same. I would drink the iced tea, but it is dreadful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's made from powder...yech:p

I make my own. Get a glass and a coffee cup. Add ice to the glass. Make hot tea in the cup (pick any flavor you want for the tea). Once the tea is as strong as you want it (a little stronger than you would normally drink), pour over the ice.

I also bring those little packets (don't like just plain water and don't drink soda).

I use Crystal Light lemonade sticks for bottled drinks and Mio lemonade for glasses of water. Easier to adjust the strength. Those two things have helped me raise my water intake and avoid caffeine which reacts badly with my blood pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sounds like someone got suckered into paying for juice at breakfast.

We always get some juice to stash in the fridge for mixers later in the day when they charge for juice.

An empty 16 oz soda bottle works great.

My understanding regarding getting charged for cranberry juice was that this was some sort of discouragement for people doing what you mentioned. It was a recurring topic for a while on CC around that time, and apparently someone was abusing the free juice privilege to avoid room service charges for ordering mixed drinks (not saying it was you) .

When served, it was a large glass of cranberry juice, not the usual 4 oz juice glass. And guess what? I couldn't finish it in one sitting, so I took it back to my room for later.

My understanding regarding getting charged for cranberry juice was that this was some sort of discouragement for people doing what you mentioned. It was a recurring topic for a while on CC around that time, and apparently someone was abusing the free juice privilege to avoid room service charges for ordering mixed drinks (not saying it was you) .

When served, it was a large glass of cranberry juice, not the usual 4 oz juice glass. And guess what? I couldn't finish it in one sitting, so I took it back to my room for later.

I don't see it as an abuse by any means. Like anything else it I like something I take extra for later & store it in the fridge. Juice, desserts, cookies, candies, nuts, etc. You might see something one day & not the next.

The free juices (well the orange and cranberry ones at least) are fruit juice drinks with added water and sugar. Almost all of the cranberry juices on the market are this anyway so that's probably no different. I find the free juices far too sweet for my taste.

I think the 'abusing' is when some people want to avoid paying - a bit like some people we knew who took a bottle of gin on board one ship and then would purchase a glass tonic, take it back to their cabin and make G&Ts, a bit low IMO.

Edited by Aussieflyer

The free juices (well the orange and cranberry ones at least) are fruit juice drinks with added water and sugar. Almost all of the cranberry juices on the market are this anyway so that's probably no different. I find the free juices far too sweet for my taste.

True, They have to be cut with something. ;)