Extension cords

PDXgranny

It's not clear if regular electrical extension cords are allowed in cabins. It says only HAL approved outlet strips are available if you request them, but we just wanted to use an extension cord. I think Celebrity doesn't allow them. Anyone know if HAL does? Specifically on Rotterdam.

It's not clear if regular electrical extension cords are allowed in cabins. It says only HAL approved outlet strips are available if you request them, but we just wanted to use an extension cord. I think Celebrity doesn't allow them. Anyone know if HAL does? Specifically on Rotterdam.

Extension cords are fine as long as they don't have surge protectors. You are usually safe with cords with only two pins. Three-pin extension cords (adapters) may or may not contain surge protection. Multi-outlet plug-ins without the cord are a good way to give you more outlets. Some ports (San Diego) flag all checked luggage containing extension cords of ANY kind so it is advisable to carry cords in your carry-on luggage to be safe. If luggage is flagged, your luggage goes to the "naughty room" where you must open it and surrender the cord until it it is returned on your last cruise day when it suddenly becomes acceptable. Port Security that screens your carry-on bags have never questioned any extension cords in all of my cruises. Don't be confused with the logic above.

I've read about this a few times. I decided to do a web search to try to find some technical explanation for why surge protectors would be prohibited. I did find one. I understood about 30% of it. It seems real. It does seem pretty clear that bad stuff can happen if you plug a surge protected power strip into a cruise ship electrical system. I wish I understood more of it so I could explain it.

Edited by bUU

Yes you can bring your own extension cord - surge protectors are not allowed. Chengkp75, who is a ship engineer (I believe) has given excellent reasoning for this in previous posts. But your plain old extension cord (in good good condition!) is fine. We always bring our own.

We just have our TA request a power strip when we make our reservation and 99% of the time it is in the room when we board. The one time it was not there I just asked the cabin steward and he got one for us. Just one less thing to pack and we don't need to take up luggage space or weight.

This might be overkill or just a duh moment for me but how about things like IPad charge adapters? Are they a problem? It will be a moot point once all the ships have the USB ports but I'm on the NA right before she gets upgraded.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Those are acceptable. I purchased an Anker 5-port USB adapter on Amazon that let me charge all of my USB devices.

Thanks Crew News, I normally charge my IPad thru a USB port on my computer but when I got the info that NA would not have the USB ports installed until after our cruise I figured I better find out if the adapter was OK.

The iPad chargers are all 2-pronged, either the small cube one (I use that one for my Mini) or the larger square one that has the prongs that fold up.

If I'm traveling outside of North America, I'll take the larger square - I have the adapter kit for it so I can slide off the NA prongs and slide on the prongs for Europe or Great Britain or elsewhere...

Here's another wrinkle, I've read a couple posts about power being turned off by room stewards preventing charging. Anybody have any experience with Gorilla Gadgets? Are they acceptable onboard? I have 3 of them as well as a small portable solar panel that charges them up. I use them on camping trips to keep my IPad going. I use my IPad as alarm clock, book reader, game player, note taker and sometimes picture/video taker as well as for banking access so I really need it to be charged!! Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill and stressing over a non-problem?

Here's another wrinkle, I've read a couple posts about power being turned off by room stewards preventing charging. Anybody have any experience with Gorilla Gadgets? Are they acceptable onboard? I have 3 of them as well as a small portable solar panel that charges them up. I use them on camping trips to keep my IPad going. I use my IPad as alarm clock, book reader, game player, note taker and sometimes picture/video taker as well as for banking access so I really need it to be charged!! Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill and stressing over a non-problem?

I don't know if stewards turn off power. I've never heard of that. But on QM2 last month, they asked us to not leave items charging while we were out of the cabin. With all the battery issues lately, I think they were concerned about overheating/fire and nobody there to notice it.

On HAL I've never had an issue with charging while we are out of the room, but we try to not do it on a regular basis. I, too, am reliant on an iPhone and it needs to be charged all of the time. I do carry a 23,000 milliamp backup battery that works well.

I would note that if you use the outlet that is in the bathroom up near the light, it is switched power along with the light. So if the light is off, the outlet is off.

Edited by Btimmer

I don't know if stewards turn off power. I've never heard of that. But on QM2 last month, they asked us to not leave items charging while we were out of the cabin. With all the battery issues lately, I think they were concerned about overheating/fire and nobody there to notice it.

Makes a lot of sense. We don't charge our devices when we are not at home.

We have the same philosophy on cruise ships. ;)

Different chargers can charge at very different rates, despite having the same connector. Some phones and tablets will require chargers that are rated for a higher amount of milliamps. Excessive heat while charging sometimes indicated that either the wrong charger is being used, or the charger being used has degraded.

My Kindle charger is fine for charging my Kindle, supporting a draw of 1A, more than enough for the Kindle. If I try charging my (Asus) Nexus 7 with it, that's bad. It draws about 2A, so I need a charger rated for at least that.

Please note that the FAA just banned travel aboard aircraft with anything greater than 20,000 mAh without special permission.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

While I've travelled carrying the item multiple times by air both domestic and internationally since the rule went into effect, I acquired a 10,000 milliamperes battery for future trips. Thanks for pointing out the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Btimmer

While I've travelled carrying the item multiple times by air both domestic and internationally since the rule went into effect, I acquired a 10,000 milliamperes battery for future trips. Thanks for pointing out the change.
I had the "foresight" to drop my 21,000 mAh unit a couple of days ago. So now I have two reasons to acquire a new unit.

I know this is getting pretty far off the topic but I've been considering one of those multi-purpose devices: "Wireless Travel Router, SD Card USB Reader Portable Hard Drive Companion, DLNA NAS Sharing Media Streamer 6000mAh External Battery Pack". I was almost sold on the idea until I read here on Cruise Critic that "Hard Drive Companion" meant storage not included. Just on the odd chance anyone reading this thread has used such a device, could you please comment on its usefulness on a cruise?