Would you go on an adults only cruise?

Travelcat2

Really interesting responses. My intention was to learn how much interest there is in child-free cruises rather than how some adults annoy passengers (IMO that is a topic for another thread - we have all seen behavior by adults that is intolerable - it would actually be a fun thread to share stories).

wripro - what I find the most interesting is that you and Isklaar might consider Regent if they offered child-free cruises.

Also want to stress the fact that I'm talking about 2 cruises - not trying to make every cruise child-free. Again, there are many people that can only cruise during the summer and, IMO, this would give them an option that currently does not exist on any luxury cruise line.

Edited by Travelcat2

Now, if Regent could add flights free of crying/screaming kids :eek:, that would really be a great combination! Perhaps one of those cruises could be a holiday cruise with no kids.

BTW, is a kid someone under 16, 18 or what age?

Love that thought:D I was thinking that, since you are considered an adult at age 18, that would be a good point for the kid-free cruise.

I disagree. I'd tolerate a few bellicose older passengers way more than, (1) screaming ten year olds running up and down the hall, canon balling into pools while I'm trying to read, spilling ice cream on the deck, or disrupting any dining experience in any way, (2) a crying baby in the cabin next door, or (3) a loud video game arcade taking up space on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been very fortunate as, during our seven years cruising with Regent, we have never experienced any of the three issues with which you have had to contend

We sympathise, as the child problems you encountered on Regent must have been extremely annoying and very surprising on a luxury line

We have been very fortunate as, during our seven years cruising with Regent, we have never experienced any of the three issues with which you have had to contend

We sympathise, as the child problems you encountered on Regent must have been extremely annoying and very surprising on a luxury line

We had some neighbors about two cabins down who let their brood (apparently spawned by Satan, or a minor demon at the very least) run up and down the hallways howling and banging on doors...until close to midnight. We called the desk several times to no avail, when my wife and I finally stepped out into the hallway and told the kids "Knock it off RIGHT NOW!!" That bark at the devilspawn finally got momma to poke her head out of their cabin and she said (get this): "Don't you dare discipline our children!" After about an hour of shrieking and banging on doors. At midnight.

Fortunately, my wife was able to restrain me and she told this clueless chucklehead that if she didn't get her little monsters under control that we'd have the captain put them ashore at the next port. Something in her tone of voice must have gotten through, as she recalled her little hellions and we surprisingly had no issues for the rest of the cruise.

The exception, of course - not the rule. But we specifically started cruising with Regent to avoid this kind of behavior. Kids on a cruise are fine. Demonic monsters with no discipline or manners are most assuredly not fine.

Really interesting responses. My intention was to learn how much interest there is in child-free cruises rather than how some adults annoy passengers (IMO that is a topic for another thread - we have all seen behavior by adults that is intolerable - it would actually be a fun thread to share stories).

wripro - what I find the most interesting is that you and Isklaar might consider Regent if they offered child-free cruises.

Also want to stress the fact that I'm talking about 2 cruises - not trying to make every cruise child-free. Again, there are many people that can only cruise during the summer and, IMO, this would give them an option that currently does not exist on any luxury cruise line.

Child free and excursion free. (and I don't mean free excursions which are not free.)

We would certainly consider it, but the marketing dept will have to think of an alternative description to Adults Only which has "connotations" these days ;)

Good point, RustyRollock. The best solution might be to just tell the truth. "This cruise will exclude children." You are correct about connotations.

The only time we experienced problems with children on cruises was at holiday time. Our solution has been to avoid those cruises. If children were banned, we might reconsider. For example, years ago, on a Royal Caribbean cruise, a rather disturbed child attracted a group of followers. They were extremely annoying and she and a few others threw real glass into the pool. She, her father, and other assorted perps were put off at the next port.

Mary

Edited by warburg

Am curious if this is a real issue on Regent, which isn't really kid friendly anyway. Wasn't at all an issue in November, but of course it might be an altogether different story come summer or vacation time.

It is a big issue during the summer ... particularly on shorter itineraries. There is really nothing available for teachers, for instance, that work hard for months and may appreciate a child-free vacation.

Edited by Travelcat2

Interesting. I think it's selfish for parents to take kids on a Regent Cruise. It's too high end for children to appreciate, and seems like a perfect recipe for boredom, particularly on sea days. I don't think low key quiet relaxation ranks too high on a ten year old's to-do list!

They're also depriving their kids of monumentally fun life experiences on some of those mega ships with water slides, carousels, rock climbing walls, ice skating etc. I would think that some of the closed off, higher end suite areas currently in vogue on those vessels, like The Haven, would provide something at least a little closer to Regent if said parents wanted more luxury. Some are even pricier than Regent anyway.

There have been many threads about children - whether on cruises during the summer when there are children programs or other times. Even people that love kids (teachers, for instance) need a break. I think that we would all agree that teachers (whether in regular or pre-school would appreciate some adult time. Unfortunately, the only time most teachers can take a break is during the summer when there are many children on cruise ships.

So, I started this thread to see if there are enough people that would be happy to have the option of one or two "adult" cruises during the summer. Whenever this subject has been broached, the fact that Carnival tried it years ago and failed is brought up. In order for Regent to consider this possibility, they would likely need to hear from their customers. Thus, this thread.

So, what are your thoughts?

While we (my wife and I) are loving grandparents, we both would enjoy a cruise without children. On several past cruises, we had children running and screaming up and down the hall till after 1 a.m. On our third cruise, they'd lay down on the floor of the elevators, stretched out, and would finally slide over when people tried to get on. Also they'd chase each other, 3 or 4 at a time up and down the food court in the buffet. Guess I sound like a complaining old man but I don't remember my parents allowing such behavior. Sad part is, IF little Johnny is running outside on a rain soaked deck,slips and hits his head, it's the Cruise ship's fault for having allowed a 'wet deck'.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but years ago didn't a cruise line try to start a 'no children's policy? Another poster mentioned CCL but I was thinking there was one before. Anybody remember the name ?

Mac

While we (my wife and I) are loving grandparents, we both would enjoy a cruise without children. On several past cruises, we had children running and screaming up and down the hall till after 1 a.m. On our third cruise, they'd lay down on the floor of the elevators, stretched out, and would finally slide over when people tried to get on. Also they'd chase each other, 3 or 4 at a time up and down the food court in the buffet. Guess I sound like a complaining old man but I don't remember my parents allowing such behavior. Sad part is, IF little Johnny is running outside on a rain soaked deck,slips and hits his head, it's the Cruise ship's fault for having allowed a 'wet deck'.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but years ago didn't a cruise line try to start a 'no children's policy? Another poster mentioned CCL but I was thinking there was one before. Anybody remember the name ?

Mac

Agree with you completely. Carnival did have a ship with child-free cruises that didn't work (not surprising since Carnival and children seem to be a match made in heaven). I'm only suggesting that Regent have a couple of child-free cruises during the summer to see how it is received by their loyal customers. I find it interesting that, so far, they will not entertain the idea.

Just in the hope that someone from Regent is reading this thread, I would add our wish to cruise over the Christmas / New Year ( holiday ) period but would never do it because we wouldn't risk having it ruined by Ill behaved children. It's a mutual loss.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have two daughters who have been on exactly one cruise with us, a three-generation trip to Alaska years ago. The girls were in their late teens and were under strict orders to act, dress, and behave properly for the duration of the cruise. Although they spent more time in their cabin watching 'Glee' than I would have liked, they were always on their best behavior and we received no complaints that I was aware of. We had a fabulous vacation together and were able to enjoy a relaxing trip in this most gorgeous setting.

That said, when we started cruising in 2009, we specifically chose Regent based on their lack of marketing to families with kids. When we vacationed without our girls (who spent summers with their biological father back then) the last thing we wanted was a trip surrounded by other's kids.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for sharing a love of travel with your children. But if you A) insist on bringing your kids, and B) can't keep them from annoying other cruisers, you need to reevaluate your vacation selections. Either teach your kids to behave in a civilized manner or choose another line that specifically caters to kids.

Bottom line: We would definitely, absolutely, positively be swayed toward a kid-free itinerary, all else being equal. Barring that, we'd sure appreciate a 'behavior clause' that gave Regent the right to enforce order onboard, up to and including dropping people off in the next port for gross misbehavior.

I can't understand why one would want to make your kids suffer by booking a cruise that does not cater to kids nor have a kids' program. They also deserve activities and entertainment to their liking just as we would expect for ourselves. It would have driven our two girls (evil) and our son (saint) crazy and me to an early grave if nothing was offered to suit their interests.

Z and TB

While a couple of no children cruises sounds great to us, the premise that teachers only have the summer to cruise may be a slight exaggeration as many schools have periods during the "school year" since, at least in this area schools are only in session 180 days, half the year where there are one or more week periods when the teachers could cruise. In addition, wonder how many teachers could afford the ever increasing prices at Regent to use that premise to justify the no children cruises? IMO rowdy children is enough of a justification.

Does FDR have kids?

Yes he does (and grandkids) - they have been onboard Oceania and Regent ships during the summer and were on Explorer's christening cruise. IMO, people with children/grandchildren can enjoy a child-free vacation.

I started this thread with the thought that there are many people that can only take vacations during the summer (teachers are the best example). While they love children, they may appreciate some adult time. At the moment, there are no luxury ships that offer this option.

Edited by Travelcat2

Just in the hope that someone from Regent is reading this thread, I would add our wish to cruise over the Christmas / New Year ( holiday ) period but would never do it because we wouldn't risk having it ruined by Ill behaved children. It's a mutual loss.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just spent the holidays on Mariner. Although there were children of all ages on board, I can say they were hardly noticeable and when we did notice, it was to comment on how well they were dressed and how well they behaved. It's all in the rearing. Kids don't have to be unruly.

Just spent the holidays on Mariner. Although there were children of all ages on board, I can say they were hardly noticeable and when we did notice, it was to comment on how well they were dressed and how well they behaved. It's all in the rearing. Kids don't have to be unruly.

Agree - they don't "have to be unruly" but many are. Also agree that it is about how they are raised. It is good to hear that your holiday cruise had well behaved children onboard. Unfortunately this was not the case on the Explorer (with 50 children) and swansong said that her holiday cruise was ruined because of children. Our holiday cruise was 3 years ago and agree with swansong - "never again".

While nothing much can be done for holiday cruises (other than avoid them), something could be done for summer cruises since we are talking about the months of June, June and August. Actually, August seems like a slow month in Alaska as some children go back to school in August. That might be a great time to offer a child-free Alaska cruise and perhaps one in the Med.

We have never had an issue with any children on board any cruise ship we have sailed. Reading some of the posts and possibly it was a thread that was pulled? Possibly Regent has put £$ above frequent passengers above frequent passengers comfort. I am sure I read a post about safety on a tender boat and children running around on it? Post must have been pulled?? Anyway surely hats up to Regent to step up to the plate and put down rules and boundaries?

I for sure don't want to put safety at risk before £$ in any way.

Any children and young adults we have met on Regent cruises have been well behaved and no problem to us. Mybe we have cruised at times outwith school holidays. Jean.