What is the most casual men's clothing I can wear on Queen Victoria Britannia Room

uilleann

WOW...i want one...damn thats a style that for some reason didn't catch on....

I will be wearing one of those 'Shirt Suite Supreme's' on QM2 in a few weeks. Will the Cunard World Cruisers give me the 'Cunarder Stare?'

Edited by NSWP

I will be wearing one of those 'Shirt Suite Supreme's' on QM2 in a few weeks. Will the Cunard World Cruisers give me the 'Cunarder Stare?'

I was thinking one of those "Tux T-shirts" if I could find one to fit my fat gut.

There are a few of us that use Cunard as transportation only.

DH and I are an example of that. We respect the rules, have our dinner in King's Court, Dh in chinos, collared shirt and sport coat, and if it is a formal night you will not see us out of our cabin from 6PM on.

On non formal night with DH in chinos, a collared shirt and sport coat we still go to Kings Court but we may also go to a show if it seems something we will enjoy. We leave the show and go back to our cabin. No raining on anyone's parade.

We are paying customers, always book a balcony, but Queen Mary 2 keeps us from having to fly across the ocean which has become difficult for me.

DH and I are an example of that. We respect the rules, have our dinner in King's Court, Dh in chinos, collared shirt and sport coat, and if it is a formal night you will not see us out of our cabin from 6PM on.

On non formal night with DH in chinos, a collared shirt and sport coat we still go to Kings Court but we may also go to a show if it seems something we will enjoy. We leave the show and go back to our cabin. No raining on anyone's parade.

We are paying customers, always book a balcony, but Queen Mary 2 keeps us from having to fly across the ocean which has become difficult for me.

As described, that fits the dress code for the MDR on informal nights. I know some passengers prefer to dine in Kings Court (feeling that there are more options and better food), but as I see it, you'd be welcome in the MDR if you so choose.

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Why not want to do a tux - these days it is one of the few times formal wear is ever used. We used to a bunch of charity diners every year and a tux was worn - now maybe not even a tie with a sports jacket. Also all the other cruise lines that I'm familiar with and travel on have made formal optional and most people don't wear formal anymore and the non-formal group is growing.

The same thing has happened with even less dress up - at least the businesses that I'm familiar with have gone to business casual which means no more dark suits.

So to me the answer is do I want to maintain a wardrobe that I will only wear on a few nights on maybe 1 Cunard cruise I'll do vs. other lines?

To me it is one reason I don't do Cunard much anymore - I don't want to buy or rent clothing for only this.

The somewhat relaxed dress code is good to hear. Now maybe I can get my husband to do another Cunard cruise. He is happy with nice slacks collared shirt and jacket but the tie every day was too much

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why would you wish to do a Cunard cruise when you can book the ferry to the outer islands off your own coast. Very relaxing and casual and no one else cares.

Why would you wish to do a Cunard cruise when you can book the ferry to the outer islands off your own coast. Very relaxing and casual and no one else cares.

If you mean Hawaii, we do go often but fly for land vacations. Crossing the Pacific is never a picnic by ship. We do like Cunard for South America and maybe another partial world cruise as before. I am glad to hear the other Cunard ships maybe more relaxed. We are mostly Princess and Holland America cruisers so we know dress up but the formal nights are every 3-5 days max. not almost every night.

Why on earth limit yourself? The Amish are on board every summer for the last 7 years or so on the QM2 and they sure do not wear tuxedos on formal nights and are all over the place. They do not even wear collars. Raining on someone else's parade LOL. I might add non flyers are not just few on the QM2, as long as you don the minimum on formal nights you are good to go.

Edited by resistk

Sorry I should have read the above comment a bit more, you must mean Alaska passage from We have done this cruise from Seattle or Vancouver BC many times on 4 different cruise lines. All had formal, semi formal and casual nights in the dining room. We always use the formal dining room in the evening and dress per the code of the evening. I think everyone can agree that Cunard especially QM2 has formal nights much more often.

This frequent “boo-hooing” about the dress code gets tiresome. I don’t understand why anyone would book a cruise or crossing on a ship with a well-known dress code then whinge about it. What a tough life: having to wear a jacket on most nights and a suit and tie on two or three nights per week.

People unfamiliar with Cunard need to be told that the definition of “formal” has been dumbed-down over the years. Women do not require ball gowns and men do not need a tuxedo.

I would gladly wear white tie and tails if it was the norm on a ship, but I understand why others wish to dress casually. To them I say: please choose another cruise line or fly. No-one will put a gun to your head and force you to travel on Cunard.

As for people using the QM2 for transportation, well that is what ocean liners are for. Back when there were several ships doing liner voyages – not just transatlantic - people didn’t seem to moan about dressing for dinner. Admittedly, when ships had First and Tourist Classes it was not the custom to wear formal dress in Tourist, but even in Tourist a jacket and tie was required on the larger and more popular ships and at least recommended on smaller vessels.

Many people take crossings for the fun of it – even back-to-back voyages – but most people are using the crossing as part of their holiday. Some people complain that they would have to drag their “formal” clothes around after a crossing. With a little planning it is possible to travel with just one 25-inch rolling case each. My wife and I have done that for years. Even on a holiday as long as a month we can do that with some light-weight long dresses and my tuxedo. It’s not difficult. With free laundrettes and a good laundry service there is no need to over-pack.

Edited by david,Mississauga
  • Like 1

I don’t understand why anyone would book a cruise or crossing on a ship with a well-known dress code then whinge about it.

Spot on. Give that man a cigar (if that is still legal).

That is exactly what I think. If people do not like it (which is fair enough) then don't go.

• Like 1

I don't read the original post as anyone trying to get away with anything dress code related. The poster is simply asking what the minimum requirement is therefore trying to find something which he is comfortable in and which complies. So with that in mind my experience is he would be within the dress code in chinos, short sleeved shirt and casual linen or cotton jacket without a tie for informal evenings. Formal evenings a dark suit, light shirt and tie would be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very timely thread for me as I am thinking of booking a Baltic cruise on Queen Victoria. Although I work a tuxedo for 2 prior Transatlantic crossings on the Queen Mary 2, my formal clothes did not survive my latest move (and the move to country club casual on almost all cruise lines). What percentage of men are likely to wear a dark suit on formal nights on Queen Victoria (Britannia restaurant, if that makes a difference)?

I don't mind wearing a jacket and tie for each night, but I really don't want to get another tuxedo (and all the paraphernalia that does with it--suspenders, bow tie, pleated shirt, studs, cummerbund).

Seriously, you don't need a tuxedo, bow tie etc, I would say a good 1/4 of what you see of what men actually wear on the ship on formal night is incredibly tacky, red ties etc...green jackets and so on, however the majority just wear a nice suit, with a nice tie, so colour of the suit is up to you, preferably dark, and you will be fine for both formal and/or informal.

Sorry Richard Solent , I didn't mean you

This frequent “boo-hooing” about the dress code gets tiresome. I don’t understand why anyone would book a cruise or crossing on a ship with a well-known dress code then whinge about it. What a tough life: having to wear a jacket on most nights and a suit and tie on two or three nights per week.

People unfamiliar with Cunard need to be told that the definition of “formal” has been dumbed-down over the years. Women do not require ball gowns and men do not need a tuxedo.

I would gladly wear white tie and tails if it was the norm on a ship, but I understand why others wish to dress casually. To them I say: please choose another cruise line or fly. No-one will put a gun to your head and force you to travel on Cunard.

As for people using the QM2 for transportation, well that is what ocean liners are for. Back when there were several ships doing liner voyages – not just transatlantic - people didn’t seem to moan about dressing for dinner. Admittedly, when ships had First and Tourist Classes it was not the custom to wear formal dress in Tourist, but even in Tourist a jacket and tie was required on the larger and more popular ships and at least recommended on smaller vessels.

Many people take crossings for the fun of it – even back-to-back voyages – but most people are using the crossing as part of their holiday. Some people complain that they would have to drag their “formal” clothes around after a crossing. With a little planning it is possible to travel with just one 25-inch rolling case each. My wife and I have done that for years. Even on a holiday as long as a month we can do that with some light-weight long dresses and my tuxedo. It’s not difficult. With free laundrettes and a good laundry service there is no need to over-pack.

Have to agree with you David, from the 'tiresome' sentence to the 'free laundrettes.

And, at the risk of digression, just to add support to the 'roller case' analogy, I did a crossing two Novembers ago, sharing the ship with friend Pennbank, and I never wore the same jacket twice. All within the 23Kg British Airways allowance.

:eek:

• Like 1