neptune privilèges extended to friends?

boris107

Thanks - honestly it's not a big deal to me what line. Since I'm the responsible party with papers and credit card I thought it would be easiest for the 4 of us to stick together. It's a Caribbean cruise so even my boys aren't excited about the ports so we won't have the need to rush off. My husband just wants a decent size balcony to relax and eat cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it is not such a big deal, then you should all stick together and use the "privileges" of your lowest category person from start (check in) to finish (debark). If the adult listed on the Neptune Suite wants to indulge in Neptune privileges, do it alone. It saves embarrassment. If everyone in a Neptune were to invite even one more person who is not in a Neptune, it diminishes the value that those who actually paid to use Neptune.

Sorry to be harsh. It just always bothers me with people try to cheap out by buying one enhanced fare and then will try to sneak in the rest of their brood. It's not just cruise lines - airline lounges (Dad has the membership but will try to bring in Mom and the 6 kids), airplanes (pay for Basic Economy, but sneak up to Comfort +), rail travel (pay 2nd class, sneak up to 1st). Someone over on the FlyerTalk Delta board has a great saying "Want First, Buy First."

Goodness, all I asked about was check in. I'm not sneaking anyone in anywhere. And for the record I could have saved money by having all 4 of us in the Neptune. It was more money adding an inside room across the hall. I would rather spend more money and have proper beds rather than 2 getting stuck on a pull out for 7 nights.

Goodness, all I asked about was check in. I'm not sneaking anyone in anywhere. And for the record I could have saved money by having all 4 of us in the Neptune. It was more money adding an inside room across the hall. I would rather spend more money and have proper beds rather than 2 getting stuck on a pull out for 7 nights.

Many of us were responding the the OP, who asked about bringing non-Neptune guest friends into Neptune-only dining. But, the "Neptune only" should apply to boarding also, IMHO. Board with the family in general boarding and you will not have to worry about being turned back at all. Just like Dad paying for First class and the rest of the family has Economy and Dad tries to get the entire family boarded with him in First so they can get first crack at the overheads... It just adds more people to the lines that some people actually paid for. To me, it's principle.

I am sailing alone in my Neptrune Suite and as a solo, I will go to Pinnalce for breakfast. Of c ourse, I have paid double f or that privilege. I paid 200 % for me and seeing I am alone in the suite, I will only occupy one seat in pinnacle at breaKFast. I sincerely hope no one embarrasses me an d askss if they can occupy the seat that will remain vacant seeing I will be alone in my cabin. I am not likely to even consider i t but I wonder what HAL would say to that.This could be viewed as the reverse of OP's question. I paid for twov but will only occupy for one person.

Edited by sail7seas

Interesting to see some of the posts. You can trust some of these folks that if some folks see you violate the "rules" they will scream loud and hard :). Many HAL cruisers have very strong feelings about what they are entitled to...and others are not! Sometimes it even becomes humerous. A couple of years ago we were checking-in for a Prinsendam cruise when a majority of the cruisers were 4 or 5 Stars (we were 4). When we got to the check-in area there were very long lines for all the "priority" categories. We were directed to the 4 Star Mariner line which was very long...and we noticed there was nobody waiting in the regular check-in line. So we simply walked over to the regular check-in line and were quickly checked-in while over a hundred other folks remained fixed in their "priority" lines. One lady who saw what we were doing said "I have earned the right to be in this priority line and no way am I moving to the regular check-in line." DW and I both laughed as we walked towards the ship while that lady continued to wait (probably for more then 30 min) to get her "priority."

Hank

Interesting to see some of the posts. You can trust some of these folks that if some folks see you violate the "rules" they will scream loud and hard :). Many HAL cruisers have very strong feelings about what they are entitled to...and others are not! Sometimes it even becomes humerous. A couple of years ago we were checking-in for a Prinsendam cruise when a majority of the cruisers were 4 or 5 Stars (we were 4). When we got to the check-in area there were very long lines for all the "priority" categories. We were directed to the 4 Star Mariner line which was very long...and we noticed there was nobody waiting in the regular check-in line. So we simply walked over to the regular check-in line and were quickly checked-in while over a hundred other folks remained fixed in their "priority" lines. One lady who saw what we were doing said "I have earned the right to be in this priority line and no way am I moving to the regular check-in line." DW and I both laughed as we walked towards the ship while that lady continued to wait (probably for more then 30 min) to get her "priority."

Hank

Some folks are more interested in sending a message than anything else. In this case, the message was "I'm an Important 4 Star Mariner".

Hank

We have done the same. When I got to the check in the lovely lady pointed out that I could be in priority. I just smiled and pointed to the line. ;)

Hank

I'm amazed that people would actually do that given that so many people don't want to wait for anything. If they want to do that it wouldn't even register on my radar, nor would I give it a second thought. As long as I don't do something silly like that, that is all that matters to me.

Many of us were responding the the OP, who asked about bringing non-Neptune guest friends into Neptune-only dining. But, the "Neptune only" should apply to boarding also, IMHO. Board with the family in general boarding and you will not have to worry about being turned back at all. Just like Dad paying for First class and the rest of the family has Economy and Dad tries to get the entire family boarded with him in First so they can get first crack at the overheads... It just adds more people to the lines that some people actually paid for. To me, it's principle.

Well, for the poster with the children, I respectfully disagree.

I think the children should be allowed to go with them and I can't see how that would hold up the line. Other than two pics.

It would not bother me in the least if they were ahead of me in the lineup. ;)

I think the children should be allowed to go with them and I can't see how that would hold up the line. Other than two pics.

Ditto! :) As I said in my prior post, I would not try to "sneak" them in, but simply ask. I'm in the priority line by virtue of being 4*, and if they're paying for a Neptune plus a second cabin they deserve to be ahead of me! ;)

Edited by jtl513

Quick story about the check in. Five years ago we were embarking the Amsterdam for the World Cruise. We were three star. We arrived to the terminal at 11 am. We checked in at three pm. Basically, as long as there were 4,5, and suite passengers to check in, the low priority passengers had to wait. I think that was the last time HAL did that. Since then, we have never waited as 5, unless we got there early and had to wait at the elevator for the ship to clear.

Quick story about the check in. Five years ago we were embarking the Amsterdam for the World Cruise. We were three star. We arrived to the terminal at 11 am. We checked in at three pm. Basically, as long as there were 4,5, and suite passengers to check in, the low priority passengers had to wait. I think that was the last time HAL did that. Since then, we have never waited as 5, unless we got there early and had to wait at the elevator for the ship to clear.

I've seen people at the head of the priority line sent over to a non-priority check in desk, especially when the priority line is long. But I don't think I've ever seen priority people sent to all the desks, essentially stopping check in for non-priority passengers. But we tend to arrive early, when neither line is very long.

Silly -- of course it would not bother anyone if one family of four, two of whom had priority boarding, all boarded in priority together. But if the line let one family do that, don't you think that many others would want the same bending of the rules? Then the line would no longer be offering priority boarding.

We are also in a Neptune and the "kids" are on some other deck with an obstructed view.

The biggest perk for me is space.

But you have all piqued my interest. What is so special about breakfast in the Pinnacle?

Is it like the Grills on Cunard? What makes it a more desirable venue other than being a smaller dining room?

We are also in a Neptune and the "kids" are on some other deck with an obstructed view.

But you have all piqued my interest. What is so special about breakfast in the Pinnacle?

Is it like the Grills on Cunard? What makes it a more desirable venue other than being a smaller dining room?

The menu in the Pinnacle Grill is the same other than having choices of different coffees (ie cappuccion) at no cost. What makes it nice for some of us is the quiteness of the room, the views (in the PG's with windows) and having the same staff every morning that quickly get to know you and your preferences. ;)

Many HAL cruisers have very strong feelings about what they are entitled to...and others are not! Sometimes it even becomes humerous.
And sometimes troubling. Folks foster such strong feelings even for things that they're not actually entitled to, including things that they used to be entitled to but no longer are due to changes in policy or in offerings. Maybe it's my Georgia roots* but I feel it is important to be as good of a guest as I would hope the cruise line would be a good host.

_____

* Pardon the subtle sarcasm. I'm not a native. However, it is interesting to note that living here along the Hospitality Highway has strongly affected my perception of my obligations, both as a host and as a guest.

Edited by bUU

Well, that sounds nice. I am not a huge fan of the buffet as it seem someone is always popping up to get something.

I'll give it a try the first morning since we are in half moon cay and I am in no rush to do anything.

How are the coffee makers in the suites? I guess I can order milk from room service and keep in it my fridge.

Also, I don't drink alcohol. Can I get a bunch of diet cokes instead for my bar? DH will have a beer.

Lastly, how are the room stewards? Same level if service as regular cabins?

I guess I should start a new thread?

Breakfast in the Pinnacle is a nice "perk". It is a quieter setting, you are often seated by the window (depends on the ship) and the servers quickly get to know you and your requirements.

Just a thought - have you inquired into the cost of booking the four of you in the Neptune and then having an "empty" inside cabin across the hall? That way all 4 of you get all the Neptune perks and he two kids can still sleep (and room) in the inside. This avoids the issue of having only one adult have Neptune Lounge (and other perks) access.

A few years ago we were in line, wearing an "S" tag.

We were taken out of the line and brought to the suite line along with my adult daughter and her boyfriend (who were in a balcony cabin).

We didn't ask for this privilege -- but we were given it.

Perhaps because DH was in a wheelchair?

Well, that sounds nice. I am not a huge fan of the buffet as it seem someone is always popping up to get something.

I'll give it a try the first morning since we are in half moon cay and I am in no rush to do anything.

How are the coffee makers in the suites? I guess I can order milk from room service and keep in it my fridge.

Also, I don't drink alcohol. Can I get a bunch of diet cokes instead for my bar? DH will have a beer.

A couple of more things. I always grab some milk from the Neptune Lounge and keep in my frig (with cookies of course). Your room steward will stock your frig with anything you like (if they have it of course).

Another idea - you will likely get a complementary bottle of champagne in your cabin upon arrival. Take it to the Neptune concierge and ask what you can exchange it for. We have exchanged it for wine (avoid the reds), cokes and even water.

In my experience, the room stewards for the Neptune cabins generally seem to be a bit more experienced (and better). Of course this varies. I think they get promoted up to the higher priced cabins which often ends up with them getting better tips.

There is actually a type of creamer with the coffee machine and cream in the Neptune Lounge (or milk). The coffee machines are loved by some. I prefer the coffee in the Neptune Lounge, but the coffee machine does the trick if you are up before they are open.

Yes, you can ask for diet cokes for your bar or ask for them to be replenished (if it isn't done for you).

Stewards for Neptune Suites are usually very good.

The great balconies are our favorite Neptune perk. So far we've been able to snag an aft wrap on deck five on a Vista class ship. Seriously, you could have a basket ball game there. Breakfast in the Pinnacle is also one of our favorite perks. We value that more than the Neptune Lounge. It's just such a nice way to start the day.