Currency conversion: $$$ to Euros

Silverback969

We will be flying to Venice for a cruise, connecting in LGW, London Gatwick. I would rather get my supply of Euros while I have a 4 hour layover in Gatwick. Does anyone know if you can get Euros at the ATM's in the UK ? I would think that with the number of people commuting from the UK to the Continent, that both currencies would be available in the ATM's, especially in airports and train stations. Our bank can get us Euros, but the sell commission plus service fee gets ridiculous for a small amount.

A purchase of euros in UK will be treated as two transactions. You will pay a markup to buy pounds and another markup to change those pounds to euros.

If you can't wait to withdraw euros from a Eurozone ATM, check the exchange rates at Wells Fargo foreign currency stores and see if they are acceptable, lots of branches in Florida. https://www.foreignexchangeservices.com/FES/stores/locator.html

When in Europe you may need to refer to the ATM as a cash point. Some won't know what ATM means. After your first med cruise you'll probably end up with euros left over. That just means you need to go back asap.

We will be flying to Venice for a cruise, connecting in LGW, London Gatwick. I would rather get my supply of Euros while I have a 4 hour layover in Gatwick. Does anyone know if you can get Euros at the ATM's in the UK ? I would think that with the number of people commuting from the UK to the Continent, that both currencies would be available in the ATM's, especially in airports and train stations. Our bank can get us Euros, but the sell commission plus service fee gets ridiculous for a small amount.

I have never seen Euros at an ATM in London. I don't know when you are going, but we are going to Italy with a group in September. One of our friends is purchasing Euros now through Chase because of the great exchange rate. I prefer using ATM's when I arrive in a country and check with our bank ahead of time to see if they are affiliated with a bank in that country where we will not incur a transaction fee. The service and transaction fees can be horrendous. Have a wonderful trip, Cherie

Make sure you know your PIN in numerals if you plan to use an ATM type machine abroad.

We usually withdraw close to as much cash as we are allowed in a given transaction, usually something like E250 or E300. This maximizes the service charge, if any. One downside of ATMs is that they dispense large bills, so we might try to request an odd amount, maybe something that get us a 10 or 20 rather than only 50s or 100s.

The exchange rate on the ship is very high so we avoid using them except maybe for small amounts leftover. In some ports that may not want to take US$ they might accept Euros more easily, so we used our Euros there rather than make extra exchanges and incur additional exchange fees.... accepting that the convenience approximately equals out the exchange cost. Did this in Turkey rather than exchange into their currency for a few small purchases and local tips. Also in Morocco and Gibraltar.

Have an exciting trip! Happy planning, m--

Make sure you know your PIN in numerals if you plan to use an ATM type machine abroad.
And be sure that the first digit is not zero.
We usually withdraw close to as much cash as we are allowed in a given transaction, usually something like E250 or E300.
But if you take more than you need you will have to pay an additional premium exchanging it back to $US later.
This maximizes the service charge, if any.
Why would you want to maximize the charge? Did you mean minimize?

When in Europe you may need to refer to the ATM as a cash point. Some won't know what ATM means. After your first med cruise you'll probably end up with euros left over. That just means you need to go back asap.

New term for me - never have heard/seen "cash point" - is this British?

Every other country I've visited in Europe calls the ATM a "Bancomat". Even if you don't know the term, if you see a machine inside a bank or built into the wall of a bank building, and see "VISA", etc., logos on it, you've got a 99% chance that it is an ATM ;)

And be sure that the first digit is not zero.

Excellent point!

But if you take more than you need you will have to pay an additional premium exchanging it back to $US later.

Or take it with you for next time, or next port...

Usually we are in the Euro zone for many days to weeks so we try to withdraw as much as we can, or close to it so we don't have to keep finding and using ATMs.... We divide cash between us and even in multiple places on each person.

ATMs do not usually let you take very large amounts, I think $400-worth was the most we could ever withdraw at one time, be it Euros, or any other denomination. But usually in large bills.

Why would you want to maximize the charge? Did you mean minimize?

Sorry if I was confusing! The goal is to get the most Euros (that one can use) for the given per-transaction fee. Is that maximizing or minimizing? It just makes sense not to have to keep drawing small amounts and getting charged a per-transaction fee each time if one can take a larger withdrawal for just one fee. Plus then on doesn't have to keep finding bank and ATMs and their small but inherent risks of theft, card eating machines, etc. Get your cash, distribute it and guard it wisely and go have fun!

See me replies in red above. m--

True. But there is another option - keep them.

Unless I have a crystal ball and know what our dollar is going to do, I just save my left over euros for the next trip ;) so far, it has worked out to my advantage from a foreign exchange cost. If you are in European ports and the ship is continuing on in European ports, you can also use it to say "thank you" to some of the staff if you wish to give them a bit extra.

I'd rather take more Euros than I need (after careful thought about how much I'd likely need) and exchange the small balance back afterwards than to chance running out and having to spend time looking for an ATM or paying a high exchange rate at a hotel. ;) Just me ...

So here is a little twist on this. I am thinking of doing a TA starting in FLL. Will the ship still be in US$ or Euro? Some of the people on the roll calls are discussing doing their own group tours in the ports, and all the prices are in Euro, seemingly paid in cash on the tour. How would I be able to get enough Euro to cover theses if I cannot get to an ATM? Suggestions please.

So here is a little twist on this. I am thinking of doing a TA starting in FLL. Will the ship still be in US$ or Euro? Some of the people on the roll calls are discussing doing their own group tours in the ports, and all the prices are in Euro, seemingly paid in cash on the tour. How would I be able to get enough Euro to cover theses if I cannot get to an ATM? Suggestions please.
Ship prices stay in $US everywhere in the world. You should be able to get some Euro at the ship front desk at a little higher exchange rate than a shore ATM. Get enough to cover your first day and look for ATM's on shore.

I don't know banking in the U.S., but I can get euros at a reasonable rate here in Canada from my bank. I take enough to give me a comfort level and then can use an ATM in Europe when needed and not being in panic mode.

The currency on board is US $ as cat said and they will most likely sell euros on board at a premium. If you just need a few, no biggie. If you need a lot, I would make arrangements in advance, order, whatever and not wait until I was onboard ;)

Before we go to Europe I calculate how much I need in Euros for excursions, small meals in local resturants, food on trains, souvenirs, tips etc. I then order the amount in Euros I believe I'll need and a bit more from AAA to be picked up at my local office. (No banks with international $$ where I live) We use a credit card for hotels, trains and dinners at our hotel or large restaurants. We don't use debit cards when we travel because they have been known to have holds of large amounts put on them when used for example we know someone who have a $200 hold put on the card every time they got gas for their rental car. That doesn't happen with a credit card.

I'd rather take more Euros than I need (after careful thought about how much I'd likely need) and exchange any balance back afterwards than to chance running out and having to spend time looking for an ATM or paying a high exchange rate at a hotel or aboard the ship.

If the ship was going to be staying in Europe for the season I think I'd tip the staff I chose to give extra to in Euros so they'd have local currency to spend in the towns.

Get Euros before you leave. If you are doing one of the group tours at your first port, you probably won't have time to find an ATM before the tour. And you won't want to take time away from the tour to hunt for an ATM.

If your bank doesn't stock Euros, they can order them. My suburban Chase always has Canadian Dollars, Pounds, and Euros on hand. My BoA usually has to order them, which means paying for the shipping (sometimes I think they have the currency, but like getting the extra fee :rolleyes:). Whatever fees or exchange rate losses there may be are just part of the "cost of travel."

If you expect to use ATMs, it's a good idea to see if your bank has overseas agreements to waive some/all of the out-of-network fees. If so, you can use an online map to search for those "friendly" ATMs where you expect to be.

[beginQUOTE=summersigh;52181658]Before we go to Europe I calculate how much I need in Euros for excursions, small meals in local resturants, food on trains, souvenirs, tips etc. I then order the amount in Euros I believe I'll need and a bit more from AAA to be picked up at my local office. (No banks with international $$ where I live) We use a credit card for hotels, trains and dinners at our hotel or large restaurants. We don't use debit cards when we travel because they have been known to have holds of large amounts put on them when used for example we know someone who have a $200 hold put on the card every time they got gas for their rental car. That doesn't happen with a credit card.

I'd rather take more Euros than I need (after careful thought about how much I'd likely need) and exchange any balance back afterwards than to chance running out and having to spend time looking for an ATM or paying a high exchange rate at a hotel or aboard the ship.

If the ship was going to be staying in Europe for the season I think I'd tip the staff I chose to give extra to in Euros so they'd have local currency to spend in the towns.[/endQUOTE]

===

Use debit cards to get cash from ATMs only then pay cash for purchases. This minimizes your debit or credit card fraud exposure. Again this is what Rick Steves recommend. If you are purchasing a big item from a reputable store like Harrods or Cortes Ingles then debit or credit card is o.k.

Since this is the second time you've said this, I just thought I'd mention that I use ATMs for nearly all my foreign currency needs, and I cannot ever recall having to look far for a machine. Unless you are going to a completely uninhabited area, ATMs (or bancomats, or cash points) are literally a dime a dozen in Europe, and other places. (I've used them everywhere from Alexandria to Zadar. (:D) In less time than it takes to buy a coffee or locate a bathroom, I have cash.

I'm not knocking the idea of having some euro to hand to start out with, but in my experience, finding an ATM to get more is a non-issue.

(Also, AAA has lousy rates. When I've compared, I could order euros for delivery from Wells Fargo online more cheaply than going to AAA.)

Since this is the second time you've said this, I just thought I'd mention that I use ATMs for nearly all my foreign currency needs, and I cannot ever recall having to look far for a machine. Unless you are going to a completely uninhabited area, ATMs (or bancomats, or cash points) are literally a dime a dozen in Europe, and other places. (I've used them everywhere from Alexandria to Zadar. (:D) In less time than it takes to buy a coffee or locate a bathroom, I have cash.

I'm not knocking the idea of having some euro to hand to start out with, but in my experience, finding an ATM to get more is a non-issue.

(Also, AAA has lousy rates. When I've compared, I could order euros for delivery from Wells Fargo online more cheaply than going to AAA.)

Other than that bit of EUs that I bring that I had left over from the last trip, I use ATMs for nearly all my foreign currency needs, and I also cannot ever recall having to look far for one. To paraphrase a great saying, you can't swing a dead cat in Europe without hitting a Bancomat :D I do like having a little local "curb cash" so I can grab a drink in the airport and dash to the cab or grab a drink and may be a snack while waiting for the train without joining the masses at the ATM in the departure hall.

From Rome to Paris to Vernazza to Konigsee to Altenberg (a little town in the former East Germany which is home to one of the toughest sliding tracks in the world), I run into ATMs in my normal course of activities enough that I am never having to run around to find one.

Each to their own :) and what suits their comfort level. I gave my opinion and others gave theirs. For me - my comfort level is not comfortable with counting on a plastic card for cash along the way and although there are many of you that use ATMs there may be others who are not and would rather do it a different way.

We're both retired and come from a generation where computers were not so reliable as they are now thus don't have a high level of trust in their always functioning on demand all the time :D

Not everyone has access to big city banks and in our town it might be possible to buy Canadian currency but that's it.

Not everyone has access to big city banks and in our town it might be possible to buy Canadian currency but that's it.

You can order from Wells Fargo online, and they will deliver (signature required) to your home. It wouldn't be my recommended way of getting currency, but I've had to use it a time or two for business travel where I had to hit the ground running with local currency. It sure beats AAA.

Have you ever done this? Experience counts. :)

We have never had to spend time exclusively looking for an ATM in Europe. They are everywhere. Far more/better than the US.

Thanks to everyone for their take. We're not newbies to cruising, nor are we newbies to the world of currency exchange, but we ARE new to the world of currency exchange in the era of the European Union. Wife and I will now have a much broader level of ideas and options to discuss. And, we appreciate everyone taking their time to make thoughtful thoughts and recommendations, the vast majority of you without any hint of arrogance or condescension. Best wishes for fair winds and following seas for all of you.

Thanks to everyone for their take. We're not newbies to cruising, nor are we newbies to the world of currency exchange, but we ARE new to the world of currency exchange in the era of the European Union. Wife and I will now have a much broader level of ideas and options to discuss. And, we appreciate everyone taking their time to make thoughtful thoughts and recommendations, the vast majority of you without any hint of arrogance or condescension. Best wishes for fair winds and following seas for all of you.

Just a word of note about one thing that has changed quite a bit in the last few years. It is getting more difficult to find banks in Europe that will exchange currency. Many have signs in the window saying "No currency exchange".

I mention it because sometimes people think this is an easy solution based on past experience, but in the electronic era, fewer banks offer it.

Just a word of note about one thing that has changed quite a bit in the last few years. It is getting more difficult to find banks in Europe that will exchange currency. Many have signs in the window saying "No currency exchange".

I mention it because sometimes people think this is an easy solution based on past experience, but in the electronic era, fewer banks offer it.

totally correct and just to add to it for more information, if they do exchange, there is often a charge for the service ;)

totally correct and just to add to it for more information, if they do exchange, there is often a charge for the service ;)

WAY back, before ATMs, we would buy travelers cheques in pounds before we went to England. They were treated like cash in stores, just as the ads said. At first, banks cashed them for free. Then, fees started to creep in. We had already done the exchange at home. We were not asking for currency exchange, just changing one form of pounds for another. "Just like cash?" not at a bank!

Fortunately, by the time the fees got ridiculous, we were able to find banks with compatible ATMS and we stopped buying travelers cheques.

The first time I used an ATM other than home or the UK was Norway. As I took out my card, I had a moment of panic, wondering how I was going to figure out the process in Norwegian. Well, duh! The first screen offered many languages, each in its own language--Norge, Francais, English, Espanol, etc. Easy! That ffft, ffft, ffft of currency being counted out at an ATM is one of my favorite travel sounds! (But we always travel with "starter" cash)