Why should you book direct with RC?

immy619

You can request to talk to a specific agent but I do fine just calling Crown & Anchor and talking to whom ever answers the phone. If you want to speak to a specific person there is no guarantee that they will be working at the time that you call and then you will have to wait for a call back.

Ditto this!!!

As I stated earlier, it is about control of the booking. For my upcoming cruise I have name so many changes to the initial reservation that any travel agent would no longer be returning my calls. It was booked as a placeholder booking on board, transferred to a 5 day Navigator, changed to a 6 day Freedom, cabin changed, changed finally to a 7 day Harmony, called for a price drop.

I've also found significant price drops in the middle of the night on several cruises.

For many it's worth using a TA but not for me.

Same here. I told a friend of mine who is a TA that she wouldn't want me as a client:p

I'm torn because I like both ways. But the last two years, I have used a TA because, well, they gave me $800 OBC for last year cruise (SKY Class) plus dinner at a specialty restaurant and a Spa treatment. This year, SKY Class again) same TA has given me $825 and dinner at a specialty restaurant.

Needless to say, I've gotten use to the large OBC.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you're willing to pay / lose out on a few hundred dollars of perks to keep the control from a 'what if' scenario? (Playing devil's advocate here) I'm really curious on this topic as I feel like I've now paid for things that a reputable TA would have covered for me - which means I could cruise quicker with those savings.

To us, understanding the "why's" of the cost difference matters.

For the most part, the prices on most of the on line places and RCI's website are the same. We do use the other sites to surf for cabins, as they generally are better.

That I can tell, the major reason why there are a few hundred dollar differences, when there are, is group reservations. And if I get a great deal on one of those, there's no way to change anything in your reservation without getting out of the group. So if a cabin you really want opens up- you are stuck. Or if there is another price drop, you are stuck. If you want to upgrade cabin classes post final payment date, you are stuck.

The last one, we do all the time.

I could be wrong, but that's what we have noted.

As for making a change, we used to have a specific agent, but he (rightly) got a promotion to a different area. Now we just call the C&A number- and they are happy to check all of our reservations for price drops if we ask.

So you're willing to pay / lose out on a few hundred dollars of perks to keep the control from a 'what if' scenario? (Playing devil's advocate here) I'm really curious on this topic as I feel like I've now paid for things that a reputable TA would have covered for me - which means I could cruise quicker with those savings.

If you are the kind of traveler who books and then sits back and waits for his cruise to begin, you will be a good candidate for using a travel agent. (don't expect ALL of those things that you list in your first post, though)

If you are like many of us experienced cruisers here on this thread, we LIKE to do things for ourselves and prefer NOT to cede control to someone else. If I see a price drop, I'll call on the spot and get it. If I see a cabin I would rather have, I'll call on the spot and get it. If I see a problem in my reservation, I have no problem calling and taking care of it myself.

You just have to know yourself.

:)

One reason to book with Royal is so that you maintain 100% control over your reservation and don't have to go through a TA to make changes.

I always use an online TA and have 100% control of my booking.

I can do the same things as you except I don't need to sit on hold for 45 min.

But then again, I don't wake up at 3AM and suddenly need to changed cabins.

Just as a side note. You see many people posting of everything that they get...prepaid gratuities, large amounts of OBC, free dinner at a specialty restaurant.

Don't forget that all these perks come out if the TA's commission. The bigger and more expensive the cabin the more that you will get. For those just booking a cheap inside cabin don't expect too much as the TA isn't making much on your fare.

Some of us (like me) are control freaks when it comes to their bookings and the perks are not worth (for me) losing control of them ;);)

I get not wanting to lose control, but what is it that you're not in control of when you use a TA? My TA will happily make any changes to my reservation for me that I need, I never feel like I'm not in control of what happens. Whether I call RC or email my TA to make a change, the end result is the same, except I save time and money with a TA.

Never had an issue with a TA. Just saved over $700 for an OV cabin on the Freedom to Europe. The TAs tend to have great group rates plus gratuity. I think most people that don't care about saving a few bucks are the ones that can afford 8 to 12 cruises a year and would rather pay for convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just one example.

There is a very large online TA who is probably used by some on this thread. (but cannot be named)

Many people on one of my long cruises booked with this agency.

Not one of them received their promised OBC. They were just stuck.

I always book direct.

No issues changing/arranging plans.

I book onboard to maximize bennies

I do nit rcall if they follow Marriott's lead in guaranting the lowest peice but I think RCL does provide that promise.

The Direct vs TA debate has been going in forever and likely will never end.

Go with what you are comfortable with. If it does not work out in one situation you always have the option to switch to the dark side :eek: fir your next trip.

Again, I have never run into a catastrophic issue booking direct on Hotels, Airlines, Cruises, even the movie theatre!

I think these compaines keep a tight leash on leakage as customer acquisition cost are high in one-off situtations.

Edited by FireStation46

I have booked both directly through cruise company websites and used TA's. Personally, I don't see any advantages to turning over the booking to a TA, maybe I haven't found a good one, yet. A case in point, I recently booked a cruise through a travel agent and I'm paying the exact same amount as was listed on Royal's website. They did throw in a $25.00 obc, but that just offset the service fee they charged. They claim to watch out for price drops and upgrades, but I'll probably have to bring it to their attention first. If you have a great travel agent that you are happy with, keep them :)

I have booked both directly through cruise company websites and used TA's. Personally' date=' I don't see any advantages to turning over the booking to a TA,[/b'] maybe I haven't found a good one, yet. A case in point, I recently booked a cruise through a travel agent and I'm paying the exact same amount as was listed on Royal's website. They did throw in a $25.00 obc, but that just offset the service fee they charged.

I got pre-paid gratuities which came out to $380 for 4 people.

Plus an additional $50 OBC per cabin for being part of a group booking.

No service fees.

Just one example.

There is a very large online TA who is probably used by some on this thread. (but cannot be named)

Many people on one of my long cruises booked with this agency.

Not one of them received their promised OBC. They were just stuck.

I've also have family members learn there lesson with a certain online company OBC promises also... Understand why we can't mention TA names but sad we can't learn from good and bad experiences about them here...

We do a lot of shopping and pricing. IF a T/A is willing to give me the perks(Grats/OBC)then we decide whether it's worth it or not.

Lot's of times they only give the perks we care about on upper class bookings.

Sometimes we try to get the best of both worlds, we book with T/A for the perks and watch for better cabins, lower prices, etc. and call T/A for the changes. Have not had a problem yet getting hold of T/A for changes.

Every booking is different, with cabin availability, pricing changes, etc. A few times we found after final payment a Junior Suite offered for a few bucks more than our balcony. Call T/A, pay a couple hundred dollars.

Just got to keep up with it.......................

WOW, I feel like I'm missing out here, you all talk about perks from a TA,

Here in the UK, I have booked a 2 week holiday every year with the same TA, we have done 11 cruises and 10 trips to Disney at a rough cost of £6,000 per holiday and I have never even had a bottle of wine from them LOL

Think I need to go TA hunting when I'm in the US in August

Yeah, there's no real point of booking with a TA here in the UK for cruise holidays. It's cheaper to book with Royal direct. TAs don't offer perks like they do in the US (except for low deposit or free port parking on occasion if you're going out of the UK) and they all offer the same deluxe drinks package with booking as its a promotion by RCI - not "free" but included with the price.

The only times I book with a TA is when I'm going to the Caribbean and I don't want the hassle of flight, hotel and transfer booking, but saying that the last TA I booked with for my cruise out of San Juan completely messed up as when we got to our hotel we had no reservation there and ended up being charged for the room again. Still trying to claim the money back! We do have a good TA we book with for land based holidays but they can't offer the same prices Royal does so we rarely book with her for cruises.

Edited by cloud_nine

I book myself now. I like having control of my own reservation. With price drops and a TA calling them and trying to beg them to call to save you money is a pain. I rather just watch it myself. I don't get any bonus booking with an agent either. So I mid as well do it myself from my own house.

Okay help me understand the difference. I've always booked direct. People talk about the freedom to make changes but I rarely change rooms. If you book through a travel agency do you still have the ability to go on the RC web site and book entertainment and excursions and drink packages? What are you not able to do if you book through a travel agent?

Thanks

Okay help me understand the difference. I've always booked direct. People talk about the freedom to make changes but I rarely change rooms. If you book through a travel agency do you still have the ability to go on the RC web site and book entertainment and excursions and drink packages? What are you not able to do if you book through a travel agent?

Thanks

Yes you can still make all your reservations and pre cruise purchase.

You cannot, change cabins, call for price drops, switch the cruise to a different date, change the occupant of the cabin, make a paymemt. For these things you must call your TA.

For some it's not a big deal, for others it is. Choose what works for you.

I booked directly with RCCL but I had to do it on the phone because I was having an issue with the website at the time. Therefore, I not only did not get any extra benefits of a TA, but I can't make any online changes to my reservation. I can book my own shows/restaurants, but I can't even make my final payment online. I'm kind of sorry I went directly through them because some of the TA benefits would have been good to have.