Am I going to be stressed by the size of this ship?

Kimblizz2

My 2nd cruise (1st one without an experienced cruiser) and I am bringing my 75 year old mother in law who is going to be very dependent on me. I booked Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas due to Port/Price/Dates. But now I am having panic attacks as a friend told us--OMG why would you go on such a big ship...Its going to be packed. I am so naive I didn't realize that Cruise ships vary that much...I know I should have done more homework but we are leaving in MAY!!!

My 2nd cruise (1st one without an experienced cruiser) and I am bringing my 75 year old mother in law who is going to be very dependent on me. I booked Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas due to Port/Price/Dates. But now I am having panic attacks as a friend told us--OMG why would you go on such a big ship...Its going to be packed. I am so naive I didn't realize that Cruise ships vary that much...I know I should have done more homework but we are leaving in MAY!!!

I would not worry about it in the least!! We just got off the Oasis and honestly yes the ship is big....but that just means there are plenty of places for people to go, so it didn't feel crowded to us at all.

The first day is a little crazy, but it is that way on any ship the first day.

Go and have fun!!

Uhm, you ARE an experienced cruiser. :)

Hi Kimblizz

You don't say what specifically is bothering you.

If it is as SPacificbound questioned, that your MIL has mobility issues, then you need to get her a wheelchair or scoter for the trip.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

With this size ship, older passengers DO complain that the scale of the ship is overwhelming and they get very tired walking from place to place. What I would suggest is that you get a cabin very near the aft elevators for you MIL so that she will not have to make as long of a walk, most of the time. The aft elevators service the MDR's, buffet and also are close to the areas such as La Patisserie, card room, guest services - most of the things your MIL would be interested in. BTW, I thought my inlaws would be dependent on me and my husband when we took them on a cruise to Alaska, instead, they disappeared into the ship and the ONLY time we ever saw them was at dinner! Turns out, they LOVED the buffet for breakfast and lunch, and they read their daily programs and went to various events around the ship. My MIL picked up a discarded raffle ticket at one event and won a pearl necklace - she had the time of her life! So, perhaps your MIL will surprise you! Honestly, it is NOT worth having anxiety attacks about this. Either your MIL will choose to enjoy her cruise or she will not but you need to remember you are NOT responsible for her happiness! So cruise on and let the chips fall where they may. One thing I can say for sure is that if your MIL doesn't enjoy the cruise, most likely you will never have to take her on vacation again! ;)

If Mama cannot walk say 3 blks I would obtain a wheelchair for her. Or consider one of the mid size ships. You still have time to change prior to date of final payment.happened to me with my parents many years ago.

Yes, it's a big ship, but the number of passengers will "fit". There are no more 'crowds" on that ship than any other! Of course, on EVERY ship, when the show lets out, there is a bottleneck.

Stay in the theater until most have left...you aren't in a hurry!

Leaving the ship at ports...wait a little...have a leisurely breakfast and let the crowds disperse.

Try not to use the buffet at "prime" eating times.....better to head to the dining room, where a table is readily available and you'll be served!

There are ways around the things that are freaking you out!

Edited by cb at sea

I would suggest to eat in the dining room if available or some of the other smaller venues. We ate breakfast in the solarium and it wasn't crowded and lunch in other free venues. The windjammer may be overwhelming and crowded. The ship was great and not really as crowded as you think and we went during spring break! Relax and have fun.