Room service question

Cuizer2

I don't order room service unless I'm in a suite, in which case the butler brings it and I tip the butler at the end of the cruise (or in the case of my last cruise, the day before the end of the cruise).

But a question came up somewhere else on CC and it got me thinking (oops, that is dangerous) it got me wondering (yes, that is much less dangerous). Does the room service charge include the tip?

The specialty restaurant charge includes the tip, unless you buy the package in which case you have to pre-pay the tips for the "free" meal.

So, does the room service charge include the tip? :confused:

IS there a charge in suites???

There is not a charge for room service if you are in suite.

Sorry, I should have said for non-suites. FYI, I do not always book a suite. I only book a suite if there is a good reason to, such as a forward facing balcony in the Panama Canal.

Two more cruises booked, one suite and one a regular balcony.

I would not tip on top of the 7.95.

just my opinion.

Lois

I would not tip on top of a service charge. A tip is for service. I feel spending $7.95 for a room service service charge more than covers a tip.

I appreciate your opinions, but that isn't my question. My question is, does the room service charge cover the tip. As I pointed out, I only use room service when I'm in a suite, and then I tip the butler at the end of the cruise.

When I'm in a non-suite, I go to the buffet myself and get what I want.

Yes, just like at a hotel, the service charge does not include the tip.

Good example, except on a cruise ship, the extra charge for the upscale restaurants does cover the tip, so it gets confusing.

I appreciate your opinions, but that isn't my question. My question is, does the room service charge cover the tip. As I pointed out, I only use room service when I'm in a suite, and then I tip the butler at the end of the cruise.

When I'm in a non-suite, I go to the buffet myself and get what I want.

i only have BA experience. but i think why people may be confused is if a butler is bringing food that means you are in a suite and suites have no 8 dollar charge at all.

so if you only use room service in a suite, you literally never have a charge. so it cannot possibly go towards the tip since you arent charged.

are there suites on other ships that do have room service charges?

i only have BA experience. but i think why people may be confused is if a butler is bringing food that means you are in a suite and suites have no 8 dollar charge at all.

so if you only use room service in a suite, you literally never have a charge. so it cannot possibly go towards the tip since you arent charged.

are there suites on other ships that do have room service charges?

I am asking a simple question, does the room service charge cover the tip? I appreciate those that answered my question. If you change the question, then your answer is useless to me.

Look at this way, if I am in a regular cabin and if I use room service and if there is a service charge, does that service charge cover the tip?

Edited by Cuizer2

I am asking a simple question, does the room service charge cover the tip? I appreciate those that answered my question. If you change the question, then your answer is useless to me.

Look at this way, if I am in a regular cabin and if I use room service and if there is a service charge, does that service charge cover the tip?

you said in OP:

I don't order room service unless I'm in a suite, in which case the butler brings it and I tip the butler at the end of the cruise (or in the case of my last cruise, the day before the end of the cruise).

so if you order room service ONLY in a suite and your butler brings it, per your OP, there is no service charge because suites have free room service. so its impossible for the non existent charge to cover the tip.

now you are changing things and asking if you are in a regular room does it cover it but you complain about changing the question. yet you did it yourself :)

however i figured out an answer that cannot cause any confusion: the answer is if you are in a room that you are charged 7.95, that 7.95 does not include tip. i think thats pretty clear without me muddling things up.

Sorry, I should have said for non-suites. FYI, I do not always book a suite. I only book a suite if there is a good reason to, such as a forward facing balcony in the Panama Canal.

Two more cruises booked, one suite and one a regular balcony.

you said in OP:

so if you order room service ONLY in a suite and your butler brings it, per your OP, there is no service charge because suites have free room service. so its impossible for the non existent charge to cover the tip.

now you are changing things and asking if you are in a regular room does it cover it but you complain about changing the question. yet you did it yourself :)

however i figured out an answer that cannot cause any confusion: the answer is if you are in a room that you are charged 7.95, that 7.95 does not include tip. i think thats pretty clear without me muddling things up.

I have not changed anything. Take a look at what I quoted above. I am asking a general question about room service and tipping. I never intended this to be related to suites. So let us try it this way ...

For non-suites, does the room service charge include the tips (as they do in the specialty restaurants)?

But a question came up somewhere else on CC and it got me thinking (oops, that is dangerous) it got me wondering (yes, that is much less dangerous). Does the room service charge include the tip?The specialty restaurant charge includes the tip, unless you buy the package in which case you have to pre-pay the tips for the "free" meal.

So, does the room service charge include the tip? :confused:

Nope. The convenience charge of $7.95 wouldn't cover the tip.

I have stated, per the highlight above, that the question came up somewhere else on CC. My question was not about me. I do want to specifically thank Two Wheels Only for a straight answer to the question I asked.

As to the others, if you change the question, you are not really helping me.

I've been on three NCL cruises. One balcony and two suites. The balcony cruise was in 2005, before the expanded room service menu ever existed.

I have only ordered room service on one cruise. I was in a suite at the time. I ordered some chocolate covered strawberries one time and water and ice the second time. So I was not ordering off the room service menu.

Just to be clear, both times was on the same cruise. This is the full and complete extent of my room servicing experience. You can read about it in my review if you want - http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2439655

For the future, I have two NCL cruises booked. One in a regular balcony cabin and one in a Haven suite.

I have not changed anything. Take a look at what I quoted above. I am asking a general question about room service and tipping. I never intended this to be related to suites. So let us try it this way ...

For non-suites, does the room service charge include the tips (as they do in the specialty restaurants)?

I don't know but would guess no. Here's why. If you eat at the specialty, your dining 'fee' does not go towards the tip; hence why the bill gets an 18% gratuity fee added on whether you get the SDP perk, purchase the SDP, or pay a la carte. The room service fee is not 18% of anything, simply a flat fee (similar to the teppanyaki service charge). At teppanyaki you are still going to pay an extra 18% as a tip. So I'd label the 7.95 as a service fee only and bet one of these days it will become 9.38 to reflect an 18% tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know but would guess no. Here's why. If you eat at the specialty, your dining 'fee' does not go towards the tip; hence why the bill gets an 18% gratuity fee added on whether you get the SDP perk, purchase the SDP, or pay a la carte. The room service fee is not 18% of anything, simply a flat fee (similar to the teppanyaki service charge). At teppanyaki you are still going to pay an extra 18% as a tip. So I'd label the 7.95 as a service fee only and bet one of these days it will become 9.38 to reflect an 18% tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, your logic seems sound. Thank you. :)