New to Celebrity! Chair hogs??? How bad is it on Equinox?

The Fun Researcher

My wife and I are new to Celebrity, and so are the other four couples that are going on the same cruise with us. (None of us are new to cruising however.) We will be on the Equinox in August this year.

There seems to be more talk about CHAIR HOGS on the Celebrity forum than other cruise lines that I've looked into.

On a sea day, are there lounge chairs available on the pool deck? We don't need to be right up by the pool, even 4-5 rows deep is fine. :) We just need a spot to put our stuff and lounge when we aren't in the pool. We are a group all in our late 30's to mid 40's, and we'll be near or in the pool a decent amount on sea days. How bad is it?

Thanks,

Dan

My wife and I are new to Celebrity, and so are the other four couples that are going on the same cruise with us. (None of us are new to cruising however.) We will be on the Equinox in August this year.

There seems to be more talk about CHAIR HOGS on the Celebrity forum than other cruise lines that I've looked into.

On a sea day, are there lounge chairs available on the pool deck? We don't need to be right up by the pool, even 4-5 rows deep is fine. :) We just need a spot to put our stuff and lounge when we aren't in the pool. We are a group all in our late 30's to mid 40's, and we'll be near or in the pool a decent amount on sea days. How bad is it?

Thanks,

Dan

If u get there by 7am u should be ok...otherwise brutal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

We were on Equinox in October 2016. I always managed to find a deck chair by the outdoor pool on in the vicinity (I tended to go late in the day) but I was on my own as my husband doesn't swim! Could be more problematic with a group who want to be together. However, I never lingered long due to the very loud live band. I'm not into loud music but if it doesn't bother you, you should be able to find a space to spread your towel most of the time.

All cruise lines have chair hogs. I see them out there at dawn staking our their claim and then going back to bed evidently as the chairs sit empty until lunch time. But, in many cruises, we always find somewhere to sit.

In January, on sea days from 11AM to 3PM the pool area was very busy, but the pool attendants were pretty good about removing towels from chairs without other personal belongings. The farther up or out from the pool, the more seats were available (personally I have no problem being on the upper level not right near the pool; I just walk down there, spend some time, then go back upstairs, and never a problem finding chairs.) On port days there was ample room directly around the pool most of the day. After 2:30 or 3 even on sea days it emptied out. I see you're going in August, so I'm not sure how the age shift will impact the crowds (in January it was mostly 40s-60s and only a few kids.) There are always a few selfish bozos on every cruise, but if you can maintain some flexibility, you'll enjoy the Lido area. We had a fantastic time on Equinox. Hope you do, too!

There will always be chair hogs, but the number can vary from cruise to cruise, and time of year due to the type of cruisers. Not to be negative or risk being politically incorrect, Europeans, especially, and or many living in COLD countries, want all the pool time and sun time they can get.

We were on the Equinox for Xmas and NY and only a few time cold we not find a couple of chair in the shade, most everyone wanted to be in the sun The cruisers were mostly European or Canadian. Getting a number of chairs together will be the problem in you do not get there kinda early, say 9-10 on sea days.

As long as you don't have to be right by the pool you should be able to find a couple of chairs. You might even get lucky and find a couple right by the pool that were recently vacated. If you're looking for ten chairs (five couples) during the 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM shift, that probably isn't going to happen anywhere near the pool. Good luck, though, and have a great cruise!

The chairs in the sun fill up pretty quickly near the pool. The ones in the shade under the deck above don't fill up as quick. But if you are not out there by 9am it's often hard to find open lounges within sight of the pool.

9 am? I've hardly been to bed by that point! :) ;)

We'll just have to make due I guess. I guarantee that none of us are going to be on the pool deck at 9am, and we aren't ones to reserve loungers.

By the sound of it, yes, this is far worse than any of the Royal Caribbean cruises that we've been on. We can always find a few loungers to place our stuff somewhere on the pool deck, not more than a few rows deep.

Oh well.

Dan

I think the Pool staff was doing an awesome job clearing chairs that sat to long. I think they were getting it right.

A suggestion would be to ask the " Pool chair regulator " when the next chairs would be cleared. It worked for me.

Yes , still alive to talk about it.:D

And...there are loungers a level up from the pool (within sight of the pool). I think what really bothers people is one person will come out to the pool in the morning and "reserve" 8 or 10 chairs with towels, etc. and then leave, presumably to go eat breakfast and gather the crowd. Then people will come to the pool area who are actually ready to BE at the pool, and they will find the spots "reserved." We don't spend 10 minutes at the pool, and we don't sit in the sun, so we haven't encountered any of this.

And there's always the indoor pool/solarium with plenty of loungers that are easy to get. Personally, I think it's much nicer in there anyway, and you don't have the sun beating on your skin and crowds of people.

I do hope you have a great cruise.

It should be easy to find some loungers in the shade, but if you want a bunch together in the sun, you'll need to get there early, and/or go higher up away from the pool.

BTW: There is a smoking section in the shade on one side of the ship. Make sure you know where it is if smoke bothers you.

DH and I have sailed both on Royal and Celebrity. Chair hog world was about the same on both. I spend more than 1/2 hour at a time in the pools, so I usually leave my items on my chair and just hope its not confiscated...so far so good after 12 years. Does anyone know if Celebrity Equinox has heated pools?

Thanks,

Dan

Welcome to the Equinox Dan!

Our last 2 cruises and our next one are on her, yea, we like the Equinox.

There are 2500+ pax, and about 700 loungers around the pool, and 5-600 under the deck by the windows. Another 5-600 around the top deck on either side of the walking track, and another 4-500 on deck 16 forward, and 15 aft away from the pool. And about 150 in the covered Solarium.

Clear as mud :eek:

IMG_0220.jpg.975e3825e9510b40f2a0ed764e822f1d.jpg

Thanks,

Dan

If you want to get 10 chairs together, that's going to be tough anywhere.

There will always be chair hogs, but the number can vary from cruise to cruise, and time of year due to the type of cruisers. Not to be negative or risk being politically incorrect, Europeans, especially, and or many living in COLD countries, want all the pool time and sun time they can get.

Personally I have seen a mix of chair hoggers from all parts of the world... ;) America, South America, Europe, Asia and so on. From cold and warm places, old an young, men and women, groups and solos.

On a sea day, are there lounge chairs available on the pool deck? We don't need to be right up by the pool, even 4-5 rows deep is fine. :)

You should know that chairs around the pool are only 2-3 rows deep - if you google “celebrity equinox pool photos” you will see what I mean. There are a maximum of two rows at the edge of the pool and one further back under the tall canopies. Then behind that is the section by the windows under the deck above. I think the best likelihood of finding 10 lounge chairs together would be in that section. It is out of the sun but if you are popping in and out of the pool you might enjoy the shade at times.

Happy sailing, I hope you all enjoy your first Celebrity experience.

8 am at the latest is a good time to get your lounge chair, enjoy a swim before the pools are SRO...Nice and peaceful early in the day.We like the shaded area,,,very popular. We leave by the afternoon when the loud pool games begin,.,

Solarium loungers also at a premium...some are used by folks who nap there and snore all day! But going early is also a good strategy there and AQ spa cafe has a lite breakfast.,.

Welcome to the Equinox Dan!

Our last 2 cruises and our next one are on her, yea, we like the Equinox.

There are 2500+ pax, and about 700 loungers around the pool, and 5-600 under the deck by the windows. Another 5-600 around the top deck on either side of the walking track, and another 4-500 on deck 16 forward, and 15 aft away from the pool. And about 150 in the covered Solarium.

Clear as mud :eek:

Thank you!, and thanks for the info regarding chairs quantities.

If you want to get 10 chairs together, that's going to be tough anywhere.

I think at most, half of us would actually be laying in chair, so no need for 10.

Thanks all for helping me to level set my expectations. We'll manage. I have bigger concerns on a cruise, like... Which drink am I going to try next! ;)

Dan

• 1 month later...

I must be lucky. Never get to the pool before 10:30 normally can find 2 chairs on the pool deck. The chairs may be in the shade at 10:30 but by noon they are in the sun.

On bad days (no chairs on pool deck) there are always chairs on the decks above the pool. You may have to move a couple of chairs to get a group but doable. Also keep your eye on chairs with just towels on them- if no one comes back in about 30 - 45 minutes have the Pool Butler clear them. IMHO if people would remove their used towels when they leave the pool there would be plenty of chairs throughout the day.

In our experience Celebrity is no worse than RC. In fact I think over the years we have always found less 'full day' chair reservists on Celebrity. We have also found less large family groups.

There are also far, far fewer children giving the pool area a more relaxed atmosphere. Also less organised games and activities. The Celebrity pool area focuses more on rest and relaxation than activity, activity, noise, activity...If you enjoy the activities by the pool on RC you may find X a little dull. We see RC holidays about entertainment and X holidays about chilling out.

I would give another vote to going to the deck above to group your beds, chairs....You can still hear the music but not so loud, there are usually some chairs as well as sun beds which can be better for a larger group coming and going and there is also a little more space to spread out.

Have a great cruise!