HELP! Paid in full and now my husband cant go

PippenBooBoo

Our cruise is paid in full for our April trip on the BA but my husband just found out he has a work trip that week that came up last minute and it is mandatory. I know we cant cancel without 75% penalty but was thinking maybe I could take someone else in his stead? Has anyone here ever had to do this? My other option is that I go alone. What, if any, would the penalty be in those 2 circumstances?

Here's my suggestion. It appears that no matter what you do to avoid the loss of the cost, you will lose money.

So, think of someone in your circle of family or friends who "really need a vacation," but probably could not afford a vacation. Treat that person to a vacation with no expectations of repayment. Your "repayment " will come to your in the future in other ways.

Our cruise is paid in full for our April trip on the BA but my husband just found out he has a work trip that week that came up last minute and it is mandatory. I know we cant cancel without 75% penalty but was thinking maybe I could take someone else in his stead? Has anyone here ever had to do this? My other option is that I go alone. What, if any, would the penalty be in those 2 circumstances?

Here is the.link to the cancellation policy.

Clearly states name changes are considered cancellatuons and therefore subject to the appropriate cancellation fee.

Sucks, i dont agree with it, but it is what it is.

https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

As I live in Europe myself, I get automatically rerouted to the European version of the rules regarding cancellation fees etc. so I have no way of seeing what is listed on the US version of the link above. However, in the EU version the conditions regarding change of names clearly states that

For name changes made more than 30 days prior to departure, Norwegian reserves the right to pass on a service fee of EUR 50 per person together with any costs incurred or imposed by any of our suppliers. Should the passenger wish to make a name change less than 30 days before the date of travel, this can only be done, if at all possible, by cancelling the travel contract under the conditions stated in 6.1 and rebooking.

This might however only be the case when the cruise is booked through any European NCL office and not through NCL in the US (as many of the regulations regarding cancellations and re-bookings are different on the EU webpage and the US webpage).

Op, Have you called NCL yet to see if they will change the name.

that is the only way you will know for sure.

Please come back and let us know.

Lois

Thank you for all the suggestions. VERY appreciated.

I had to go through my TA that I booked through and I wish I could post her company because she really went above and beyond on my behalf.

Instead of cancelling and crossing my fingers that we would be compensated by insurance I went the "name change" route instead. My TA had my daughters name added in my husbands place for no additional charge. Now all I have to do is get her school on board with the time off. If I cant do that then I go alone.

Though not ideal (my husband and I were really looking forward to some time alone) Im grateful that it worked out in that we will not have to pay a penalty and I still get to cruise on this fabulous ship. :D

Check on the internet about your daughter's school district rules regarding this -especially if she is in public school. In some cases you must use a loophole where you withdraw you child from the school and re-enroll her when you get back. The teachers will give her homework to do while away. It sounds crazy, but the alternative is that the days your child misses in school could go on a truancy report and then you could be hauled into court and fined for this and get a Class C misdemeanor such as "parent contributing to non-attendance" - and have the annoyance of having to go to court and plead your case. If your daughter is in a private school, then things should be considerably easier to arrange.

I had to go through my TA that I booked through and I wish I could post her company because she really went above and beyond on my behalf.

Instead of cancelling and crossing my fingers that we would be compensated by insurance I went the "name change" route instead. My TA had my daughters name added in my husbands place for no additional charge. Now all I have to do is get her school on board with the time off. If I cant do that then I go alone.

Though not ideal (my husband and I were really looking forward to some time alone) Im grateful that it worked out in that we will not have to pay a penalty and I still get to cruise on this fabulous ship. :D

Happy to hear you have found a solution that works for you. It is a pity you and your husband won't have this opportunity to vacation together. I hope you have a wonderful cruise in any case.

best,

csm

Check on the internet about your daughter's school district rules regarding this -especially if she is in public school. In some cases you must use a loophole where you withdraw you child from the school and re-enroll her when you get back. The teachers will give her homework to do while away. It sounds crazy, but the alternative is that the days your child misses in school could go on a truancy report and then you could be hauled into court and fined for this and get a Class C misdemeanor such as "parent contributing to non-attendance" - and have the annoyance of having to go to court and plead your case. If your daughter is in a private school, then things should be considerably easier to arrange.

Thank you- she goes to a private high school so it is up to their descretion. I'm planning on embellishing the truth and telling them she will be out of state visiting family and colleges. I'm a terrible liar. Kind of stressed out about it. [emoji51]

Are there any colleges on Great Stirrup Cay? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happy you were able to change names. I came back here today to see if you had any news.

My dd went to a private HS and my ds went to a private Independent HS, both in NY, both very education and college focused, and I can tell you that when we did college visits, yes it was excused, but they noted the schools we visited and Im sure would use that if needed when we applied.

Although both schools are very successful college prep schools, as long as the child was doing well, there was never a reason not being able to take them out for travel.

Are you sure you just cant give them the full story, eapecially if your dd is doing well? Im sure she may come back tan and I know with my kids schools, my ds had 40 in his senior class and there would be no way of hiding a cruise especially if head of school or teachers asked about their college visits. Just throwing it out there.

Happy you were able to change names. I came back here today to see if you had any news.

My dd went to a private HS and my ds went to a private Independent HS, both in NY, both very education and college focused, and I can tell you that when we did college visits, yes it was excused, but they noted the schools we visited and Im sure would use that if needed when we applied.

Although both schools are very successful college prep schools, as long as the child was doing well, there was never a reason not being able to take them out for travel.

Are you sure you just cant give them the full story, eapecially if your dd is doing well? Im sure she may come back tan and I know with my kids schools, my ds had 40 in his senior class and there would be no way of hiding a cruise especially if head of school or teachers asked about their college visits. Just throwing it out there.

I don't really understand why it is any of the school's business why you are taking them out for a week.

Tell the school that she will be away for a week for personal reasons and you will ensure that she keeps up with her school work.

Very happy to hear this worked out. It is just the right thing for cruise lines to do as there is honestly very little reason for them not to (in most cases). I get why the T&Cs are worded they way they are in that it protects the cruise line in the event of some weird situation, but in general having the the right to say no doesn't mean it's good business practice to exercise it. So bravo NCL for doing the right thing.

She goes to a college prep and she does extremely well. I dont anticipate a problem. Im not sure how Ill handle it yet. Ill probably try to be as vague as possible.

I don't really understand why it is any of the school's business why you are taking them out for a week.

Tell the school that she will be away for a week for personal reasons and you will ensure that she keeps up with her school work.

While schools can't prevent students from missing a week, they can give zeros for all tests and assignments missed.

She goes to a college prep and she does extremely well. I dont anticipate a problem. Im not sure how Ill handle it yet. Ill probably try to be as vague as possible.

lol

My mom is a bad lier too and that is always the advise I give her when she needs to bend the truth.

Wow glad our schools aren't like that! We just tell the school and her teachers that she is going to miss the time. She still has to make up the work of course, and some of them give her the lessons ahead of time, but that's it.

Here is the.link to the cancellation policy.

Clearly states name changes are considered cancellatuons and therefore subject to the appropriate cancellation fee.

Sucks, i dont agree with it, but it is what it is.

https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

I guess NCL doesn't agree with it either.

Thank you- she goes to a private high school so it is up to their descretion. I'm planning on embellishing the truth and telling them she will be out of state visiting family and colleges. I'm a terrible liar. Kind of stressed out about it. [emoji51]

Are there any colleges on Great Stirrup Cay? Lol.

Just say she is going to be at a family function period

You pay them tuition correct?

Btw where I live most if not all private schools do what they please regarding attendance and teaching anyway

Most have dropped the Nys regents requirement thus this allows them to not have to follow the Nys teaching regulations...

Ok that's sounds bad but... they can now...

Hire as of yet uncertified teachers if they want (doesn't mean unqualified btw)

Which allows more flexibility for the school

Teach less that 180 days if they choose to (170 days perhaps). Longer time off at Christmas and easter...which is a good thing IMHO

Restrict what is taught in the very very graphic to the extreme 10th grade health classes (look at the Nys health text...omg...)

Use the textbooks they prefer

Take the vacation weeks around their particular religious holidays.

Bottom line...private and parochial schools do not have to follow state guidelines if they choose not to

For those that think this is bad...think again ...but I digress. Ever wonder why NYC private schools are so popular?

To the op...enjoy the cruise with your high schooler Remember it's a family function

Just say she is going to be at a family function period

You pay them tuition correct?

Btw where I live most if not all private schools do what they please regarding attendance and teaching anyway

Most have dropped the Nys regents requirement thus this allows them to not have to follow the Nys teaching regulations...

Ok that's sounds bad but... they can now...

Hire as of yet uncertified teachers if they want (doesn't mean unqualified btw)

Which allows more flexibility for the school

Teach less that 180 days if they choose to (170 days perhaps). Longer time off at Christmas and easter...which is a good thing IMHO

Restrict what is taught in the very very graphic to the extreme 10th grade health classes (look at the Nys health text...omg...)

Use the textbooks they prefer

Take the vacation weeks around their particular religious holidays.

Bottom line...private and parochial schools do not have to follow state guidelines if they choose not to

For those that think this is bad...think again ...but I digress. Ever wonder why NYC private schools are so popular?

To the op...enjoy the cruise with your high schooler Remember it's a family function

Not sure about parochial schools, they may get funding and have to follow NYS requirements, But I know parochial schools in NY take the regents but my ds's Independent HS did not take Regents. I can tell you there was no use for them with whatever most selective and more selective college they applied to it was never asked and wasnt asked on thr CommonApp either.

Not sure about parochial schools, they may get funding and have to follow NYS requirements, But I know parochial schools in NY take the regents but my ds's Independent HS did not take Regents. I can tell you there was no use for them with whatever most selective and more selective college they applied to it was never asked and wasnt asked on thr CommonApp either.

Many if not most parochial high schools in Nys have stopped giving regents

I know at least 10 very popular well known named parochial high schools in the northern suburbs of NYC have stopped....therefore they are no longer under the thumb of ny state

Also...they are no longer considered archdiocese schools either...but that's a totally different story

These high schools Like being independent of Nys so they are not required to teach "certain" concepts that are contrary to the religious teachings.

Please dont confuse being Independent of Nys as a negative.

Bottom line...they don't offer regents diplomas...however if you ask them about their curriculum...the answer will be that their curriculum is better than public curriculum

Many cases its true....depending on the local public school system and the particular administration at the parochial high school

Many times not true....

My youngest is in public

My older went to parochial school

Take that as you may ....but they all got or are getting an incredible education.

Of course I live in a great public school system

Is this referring to me "dont take being Independent of NYS as a negative"? I certainly dont, as I said my ds graduated from an Independent private school in NY :)

Now back to the OP :)

They will let you substitute a new passenger for your husband. Did you book direct with NCL or a Travel Agent? Call them and make change.

Yes I had it worked out. My daughter is now on the reservation and checked in. Thank you for your reply. :)