Prescription Drugs Question

AlbaCrush

klfrodo said, "This would not be a Carnival policy.

This would be a federal law enforced by the DEA when trying to re-enter the US."

Where I do not doubt this to be true, my own personal experience is that when I had to be med-evaced back to the United States no one paid a bit of attention to my medications, which were in the weekly pill boxes.  I always carry my Tylenol 3 w/codeine in its original container.

A side note is about the precise list of medications one should carry in case of the authorities wanting to review it, or in case of the necessity of replacing meds while you are away from home.  I have an iphone and it has an app which came preloaded on the phone.  It is called Health.  I'm sure other brands of phones probably have something similar.  I keep a precise list of all my medications there, both prescriptions and over the counter, and my husband does the same,  This way it is very easy for either one of us to access not only the list of meds, but all other emergency health information, without digging through folders of papers to try to find lists and such. 

Anytime you travel via airplane or internationally, you should keep your prescriptions in their bottles.

Most of the time you won't run into any trouble, but it only takes one overzealous security or customs official to ruin your day.

I take all that in my small carry on or backpack. I even sometimes put different pills in little baggies since we take a LOT of stuff for every occasion, plus kids versions, plus my prescription stuff. Never been an issue, I wouldn't worry about it. You could easily pull it up on your phone if they got nosy but I don't suspect you'll have a problem unless you are bringing a ridiculous quantity. Don't sweat it.  

Do not think Carnival, or any other cruise line, will care about the medication you are bringing with you within reason. Customs, including arriving back to the USA might rarely, be another thing. 

But at that time your pill boxes should be empty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dezertcruzer said:

klfrodo said, "This would not be a Carnival policy.

This would be a federal law enforced by the DEA when trying to re-enter the US."

😲

After the past few years, I am no longer responsible for what I may have said 4 years ago. Times have changed and I have changed.🤪

We usually fly in a day or two before the cruise and stay a day or two after before flying home.  I bought an extra shaving kit that I take all of my meds (8) in their regular bottles.  It doesn't take up that much room and if something were to happen that we didn't get back home in time, I don't have to worry about having enough meds with me.

On 2/11/2017 at 9:28 AM, AlbaCrush said:

Whenever we travel, we usually travel with our prescription medicines (blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.) in a pill box that sorts them daily. On Carnival's site, they said you have to bring the bottles with your name on it. We really don't want to pack 6 to 7 bottles.

Has anyone have any issues with Carnival regarding prescription medicines not in their original bottle?

Gave up on carrying the bottles years ago, never have had TSA or Carnival ask to see my medication. I have used the daily sorter for years

I think the vast majority of people with a "collection" of prescription drugs (where you might use one of those 7-day dispensers) are from a demographic where the possession and usage is perceived as normal.

If you are 21 years old and have a 7 day dispenser full of little tablets with "E" marked on them, well, you might need to step aside over here, sir...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Do not think Carnival, or any other cruise line, will care about the medication you are bringing with you within reason. Customs, including arriving back to the USA might rarely, be another thing. 

But at that time your pill boxes should be empty.

That's nonsense your pill boxes should be empty. That would be true if you didnt bring extra medication. The one time we didnt when I used to cruise with my sister she didnt and it was a huge issue because the hurricane wiped out Galveston and carnival dumped us in new orleans a day late. Conquest stayed 3 days and if you reboard the ship went to houston.

Other emergencies over the hears. ...always bring extra drugs. My sister has seizure drugs. I'm sure others have equally important drugs. 

They do say bring original containers, though we have done smaller not original containers but know it's not a good idea, but sometimes those huge bottles are inconvenient.  Another reason to bring the original containers is if you are in cozumel and you need extra drugs, they are proof of prescription. Unless you carry prescriptions you might need them. We only needed them that one time to get a few extra days worth.

• Like 1

If you are sick and incapacitated they need to know what you are taking and the dosages or at least take photos of your original pill containers.  If you are crossing any international border they must be in the pharmacy container.  Always take extra, always.  

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

If you are sick and incapacitated they need to know what you are taking and the dosages or at least take photos of your original pill containers.  If you are crossing any international border they must be in the pharmacy container.  Always take extra, always.  

That time we got stuck a extra night in cozumel and carnival couldnt say when we could get back we had to go to the doctor onboard to write prescriptions off the bottles. We did have them, but names of drugs in mexico are different. Luckily we had original bottles.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

Just now, firefly333 said:

That time we got stuck a extra night in cozumel and carnival couldnt say when we could get back we had to go to the doctor onboard to write prescriptions off the bottles. We did have them, but names of drugs in mexico is different. Luckily we had original bottles.

Adding, the OP said blood pressure medicine.  They need to know the dosage.  The same medicines can have many dosages and most blood pressure medicine comes in a variety of shapes and sizes since mostly people take generic.  My pill shape and size changes every time I fill my prescription and I have to check on the internet that it is correct.  The pill itself is not helpful if you are unconscious.  

• Like 1

I'm not going to specifically agree or disagree and call someone else out.

What works for them, is their deal.

Here's what I do now.

Weekly pill containers only. If the Feds want to pull me aside, go for it. May it happen some day? Yes, however, the odds are slim and I'm willing to take the chance. If my trip is scheduled for 7 days, I bring a 14 day supply.

As far as what the meds are and what's the dosage,,,, it's clearly spelled out in my Health App on my phone which emergency responders can get access too, what meds I'm taking, what for, and the dosage. Actually, it's also gives emergency responders access to my VA medical records. Recent labs, blood tests, and radiology reports.

Edited by klfrodo

I do the "reverse pill-boxing": I keep the amount I'll need for my cruise plus a few extra doses in the original bottle, and dump the extra into a pill box. The bottle does into my backpack; the pill box stays at home. I also carry a printed copy of the prescription, with all the information matching the bottle label.

This way, I have bulletproof defense against everyone: the embarkation agents, the US-based police, and the Customs officers.  Foreign police, it's a hit or miss; but if they can read English and my pills are legal in their country, I'm safe from them too.

• Like 1

I always used to pack 2 seven-day am/pm pill containers when we cruised for 6-7 days.  When we went to Florida this past December I packed 1 month of extra pills for each of us, just in case we got "stuck" with covid down there.  From now on I will pack at least 4 weeks of extra pills when we travel anywhere.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:25 AM, firefly333 said:

That's nonsense your pill boxes should be empty. That would be true if you didnt bring extra medication. The one time we didnt when I used to cruise with my sister she didnt and it was a huge issue because the hurricane wiped out Galveston and carnival dumped us in new orleans a day late. Conquest stayed 3 days and if you reboard the ship went to houston.

Other emergencies over the hears. ...always bring extra drugs. My sister has seizure drugs. I'm sure others have equally important drugs. 

They do say bring original containers, though we have done smaller not original containers but know it's not a good idea, but sometimes those huge bottles are inconvenient.  Another reason to bring the original containers is if you are in cozumel and you need extra drugs, they are proof of prescription. Unless you carry prescriptions you might need them. We only needed them that one time to get a few extra days worth.

OK

Both the US and Canadian governments recommend carrying at least a few extra days and in the original pill bottles 

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/your-health-abroad.html

I guess what you do depends on where you are going and for how long.  I tend to take very long, extensive cruises to many countries so following the most conservative course of action seems prudent.  If you are heading to Mexico for the weekend I suppose you don’t have to be so rigid