2 People Backed out after Final Payment

Hollr

I'm a bit confused on what the issue is. If I read this correctly, your parents paid regular rates for themselves plus $200 in insurance for the whole cabin, plus $60 each for pass 3 and 4 plus govt fees and taxes?

They should cancel passengers 3 and 4 and the govt fees and taxes will be refunded. So then they will only be out $120. Insurance you don't get back no matter what... that's not a fair burden to put on the people backing out. The insurance would have been priced out to only cover $120 in cancellation (which may be recoverable if they have a covered reason for cancelling) plus a minimal amount in health care (I went on a 2 week trip this summer and got health/evacuation coverage only and the super deluxe premium plan was only $30... so that's not a big part of the insurance cost).

So, unless I'm missing something your parents are only out $120. And if calmpets post is correct, maybe not even out that. If they are def out your parents should cancel them ASAP and continue on with enjoying the cruise. Worst case it's a $120 lesson not to plan trips with these two again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm new to cruising. This is my first cruise. I didn't realize the govt fees would be refunded. (My bad!) $120 plus the $200 insurance is easier to swallow than $1000+. There is also the "cruise line pass through fee" of $200/person that I was unsure of. No matter how much I googled I wasn't getting an answer. That's why I asked on here. [emoji106]🏻

Unless I am reading the cancellation fee schedule incorrectly, if they booked after 1/1/2016, there is no cancellation penalty for passengers 3-8 in a non-suite unless they are within 30 days of the cruise. Here is the link to what I am looking at - https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule It talks about passengers 3-8 all the way at the bottom.

It was booked last September. I've looked at the few schedule.... but it's somewhat confusing to me. I told my mom to just call and hear it from NCL.

I'm new to cruising. This is my first cruise. I didn't realize the govt fees would be refunded. (My bad!) $120 plus the $200 insurance is easier to swallow than $1000+. There is also the "cruise line pass through fee" of $200/person that I was unsure of. No matter how much I googled I wasn't getting an answer. That's why I asked on here. [emoji106]🏻

I have been on 22 cruises and have never heard of a "cruise line pass through fee"Was the cruise booked though NCL or a TA?

I'd be very interested to find out what this is.

Lois

I don't know anything about the "pass through" fee. I've never heard of that. However, good trip insurance usually runs about 8% of the total of your non refundable expenses for a cruise. So, since guests 3 and 4 had only small costs associated with their being included, that should not have been much additionally to the trip insurance policy. The cost of the policy would be close to the same for just guests 1 and 2 only.

This want resolve your problem but I would give the ungrateful neice a good peace of my mine,then I would give the same harsh talk to my siblings g that raised this POS.They would stay on my crap list for a long time.

Good luck

Id give her a good PEACE OF MIND.

The parents of these two ungrateful young people should step in and make them accountable for the cost to your parents....with a long lecture on "responsibility". Just saying! Being young is no excuse!

Typically I'd agree. Her mother was killed in a car accident when my niece was only 6. Her father (my brother) has been more into drugs and jail it seems than my niece. My parents have for the most part raised her..... but raising grandkids has proven different for them than raising children. It's hard to be parents and grandparents at the same time. Trust me that girl has gotten away with way more than I even attempted!!! She's 18... didn't listen and still got married as soon as she was legal. Her irresponsibility doesn't surprise me, and I was afraid this would happen. I'm pretty livid with her. My parents are just genuinely nice yet naive. I just hate for them to be screwed when all they do is try to help.... obviously too much at times. Hopefully this explains the back story enough for those asking!!! It's not your typical family story sadly.

Typically I'd agree. Her mother was killed in a car accident when my niece was only 6. Her father (my brother) has been more into drugs and jail it seems than my niece. My parents have for the most part raised her..... but raising grandkids has proven different for them than raising children. It's hard to be parents and grandparents at the same time. Trust me that girl has gotten away with way more than I even attempted!!! She's 18... didn't listen and still got married as soon as she was legal. Her irresponsibility doesn't surprise me, and I was afraid this would happen. I'm pretty livid with her. My parents are just genuinely nice yet naive. I just hate for them to be screwed when all they do is try to help.... obviously too much at times. Hopefully this explains the back story enough for those asking!!! It's not your typical family story sadly.

Wow...sorry to hear this young women's mother died at such a young age...and looks like she has an absentee dad. Your parents have had a lot to deal with I see. So sorry! Perhaps it's time for them to ease up on being so giving ( although I understand why they do it ) and let this child grow up. They are doing their best but not doing her any favors at this point in her life by not making her accountable. Well...all in all I hope your parents have a wonder time now that they have a nice cabin all to themselves.

Wow...sorry to hear this young women's mother died at such a young age...and looks like she has an absentee dad. You parents have had a lot to deal with I see. So sorry! Perhaps it's time for them to ease up on being so giving ( although I understand why they do it ) and let this child grow up. They are doing their best but not doing her any favors at this point in her life by not making her accountable. Well...all in all I hope your parents have a wonder time now they have a nice cabin all to themselves.

Trust me... I've put my 2 cents in on more than one occasion. It's a sore subject! For them to ease up on her, they'd have to take a step back from helping her dad out so much.

Nonetheless, my first thought was they'll have more room! See my husband and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary 2 months early on this cruise.... this also means my parents could be celebrating their 50th 2 months early. The anniversary is a week before ours! I'm going to just try to seek the positive out of this all. My dad isn't in the best of health so I'm going to cherish the vacations I have left with him.

She's 18 and married?

Who had the idea that having her and her husband share a cabin with her grandparents was a good idea in the first place?

Yes yes I know the grandparents wanted to do a nice thing for her but thinking that these 2 newlyweds would want to share a cabin with them in naive

Yes yes I know the 18yo has no money and could never cruise on their own

Yes yes ...I get every side to this scenario

And the fact that they don't want to go is not surprising at all

Just wondering...where does the 18 yo and her dh live on a daily basis? With her grandparents or on their own?

Edited by luvtheships

This want resolve your problem but I would give the ungrateful neice a good peace of my mine,then I would give the same harsh talk to my siblings g that raised this POS.They would stay on my crap list for a long time.

Good luck

Id give her a good PEACE OF MIND.

"piece of my mind!!"

If what a PP has calculated is true, and they are only out $120 (the insurance would've cost about the same anyway), I don't see the big deal. Even at 18, I can't imagine sharing a tiny ship cabin with my husband and grandparents! Or parents! Or any adults! I don't think the trip was a good idea in the first place.

Since we all know that we never really get all the info anyway....

Just wondering is there airfare involved and is that why the op came up with $1000?

No airline fees involved. I came up with the number by looking at totals when booked.

Fare - $120 total for both

Govt Fees - $300 total for both

Cruise Line Pass through fees - $400 total for both

Travel insurance - $200 total for both

Total for their portion - $1020

When I posted, I had no clue that they wouldn't lose all of that. I assumed all of it for be forfeited. I guess that was ignorant on my part. That's why I asked on here hoping someone could explain it better. It was booked through RCI Travel for those asking about that. Maybe we got a crappy deal. This is all new to me.

For others asking about the room situation. The only time anyone would be in the cabin is to sleep or shower. The cruise wasn't booked to be in the room. In all honestly the two 18 years olds should've been thankful they got to go on a "free for them" trip. Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to sharing a room. But hey.... now my parents won't have to worry about it because they'll only have 2 in their room.

Hopefully this explains everything to everyone on here. My apologies for not understanding how the cancelation works and making the mistake of asking about it on here.

i happened to price insurance for my 2200 dollar cruise this december and it will be 191 and includes the 75% CFAR provision. so 200 for decent insurance isnt unreasonable for this thread

based on the fact that NCL mostly has 3rd and 4th free on most off peak dates, i'm guessing they werent charged full fare and like everyone said you will get back taxes and be out virtually nothing. insurance still is valid on the other passengers so is not wasted at all.

pass though fees is total foreign term so you definitely have to screen shot us an invoice or something. weird term and i never saw it on NCL before.

pass though fees is total foreign term so you definitely have to screen shot us an invoice or something. weird term and i never saw it on NCL before.

I've tried to google it some. It appears to be something to do with them using a cruise certificate from RCI Travel. They bought the certificate at a discounted price. The pass through fees must be where RCI recoups their cost of the cruise or something. That's my assumption. It's not a great deal it doesn't seem.

> Even at 18, I can't imagine sharing a tiny ship cabin with my husband and grandparents!

To each their own. I offered out adult children (28 and 25) the chance to come along on our upcoming Alaska cruise. They both jumped at it. I found out the "additional bedding" was a sofa that expands to a double bed so we would probably want to do something makeshift. They each, separately, volunteered to sleep on the floor for a 7-day cruise.

We all know it will be extremely cozy but if it's worth putting up with for them, it's certainly worth it to DH and me! I am looking forward to making a family memory that they will enjoy long after DH and I are gone.

I don't think it was a mistake for the OP to ask here. Unfortunately, there are always snarky replies from people who don't have anything better to do than criticize legitimate questions, but hopefully the OP got some useful information as well.