NOT trying to start anything I swear....

famof4togo

I have been on this board long enough to witness the dress code wars lol....but I have an honest question that I need feedback on and I am not trying to start the next round for the dress code police...lol...

I am traveling with a 6 year old little boy who will be joining us in the MDR for dinners. He was a ring bear in two wedding this past Sept. so I already have 2 cute appropriate little boy suits that he will look adorable in for formal night....but I had never considered it ok to have him wear shorts on the other night dinners prior to the last installment of dress code wars on this board where it was mentioned as OK for a child to wear shorts to the dining room.

Now on these nights he will have on nice button down shirts and dress shoes (no sneakers) can I bring him to dinner in shorts that match or is he too old to get away with it at 6? He does have slacks I could put him in but would be much more comfortable in the shorts and if he goes right to the kids program after dinner it would make more sense to have him in shorts.

I of course logically understand that its to "each their own" and there is debate on this topic but we like to dress up a bit in general and have no problem doing so for the MDR (not over the top tux's but never shorts/tank tops etc for us personally)...

So my overly drawn out question is...for those of you who do believe we should dress nice for the MDR...can a 6 year old wear shorts to dinner in the MDR?

I have been on this board long enough to witness the dress code wars lol....but I have an honest question that I need feedback on and I am not trying to start the next round for the dress code police...lol...

I am traveling with a 6 year old little boy who will be joining us in the MDR for dinners. He was a ring bear in two wedding this past Sept. so I already have 2 cute appropriate little boy suits that he will look adorable in for formal night....but I had never considered it ok to have him wear shorts on the other night dinners prior to the last installment of dress code wars on this board where it was mentioned as OK for a child to wear shorts to the dining room.

Now on these nights he will have on nice button down shirts and dress shoes (no sneakers) can I bring him to dinner in shorts that match or is he too old to get away with it at 6? He does have slacks I could put him in but would be much more comfortable in the shorts and if he goes right to the kids program after dinner it would make more sense to have him in shorts.

I of course logically understand that its to "each their own" and there is debate on this topic but we like to dress up a bit in general and have no problem doing so for the MDR (not over the top tux's but never shorts/tank tops etc for us personally)...

So my overly drawn out question is...for those of you who do believe we should dress nice for the MDR...can a 6 year old wear shorts to dinner in the MDR?

IMHO, a 6 year old would not attract any criticism. It's more directed at adults. However, over the years I believe the no shorts rule will be relaxed as society is changing.

There is no stated age in the guidelines that says shorts are okay for younger kids. They are just made up guidelines by posters here.

If you are comfortable with your child in shorts, go for it. What you have described sounds just perfect. You can always throw one pair of pants in the suitcase for him to wear if someone decides to turn your group away, but I doubt anyone is going to question a 6 yr old.

<snip>

You can always throw one pair of pants in the suitcase for him to wear if someone decides to turn your group away, but I doubt anyone is going to question a 6 yr old.

Worlds will collide (Seinfeld reference :) ), if ANYONE from the staff turns away your 6 year old child for wearing "nice" shorts

While I am a strong proponent of still dressing up during the non formal days (atleast dressy casual as my ex boss used to call it ), I have seen things in the MDR that cannot be unseen

Edited by panjabi

NO they would be dressy shorts that came with the matching shirts, not play shorts...

Thanks for replies....

It looks like you understand the spirit of the rule and you would be fine with dress shorts.

I've done this more than once with my now 6 yo son. Last year he wore an adorable suit that I'd bought him for Easter. It had dress shorts, a button up shirt, and suspenders. Sure I could have followed the rules better by putting him in a pair of pants and a polo, but he was much better dressed in that outfit.

I am much older than 6 and I wore shorts and a polo shirt on formal night to the MDR and no one even batted an eye (shorts and a t-shirt on non-formal nights). I think a 6 year old would be even less likely to attract attention, especially on a non-formal night.

* I understand some people don't accept or agree with my actions but that's fine, live and let live. I'm not trying to start anything and I'm not trying to get anyone to do what I do. I just shared my experience.

I am much older than 6 and I wore shorts and a polo shirt on formal night to the MDR and no one even batted an eye (shorts and a t-shirt on non-formal nights). I think a 6 year old would be even less likely to attract attention, especially on a non-formal night.

* I understand some people don't accept or agree with my actions but that's fine, live and let live. I'm not trying to start anything and I'm not trying to get anyone to do what I do. I just shared my experience.

And allow me to share my experience. I've seen adult men be turned away from the MDR for wearing shorts,,,,,be prepared.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! He must wear at MINIMUM a 3 piece suit, if not a full tuxedo.:D

I think a button down or even polo shirt with nice shorts would be just fine....I'm not part of the MDR attire police. I think people should be dressed respectfully, no tank tops and hairy pits in the dining room, but JMHO. That said, I'm also not going to turn someone in for violations of a suggested dress code. They have to live with their life choices - not me.

oh good heavens, maybe you didnt see anyone bat an eye but i can assure you ,some did. shorts on formal night? t shirt in main DR? an absolute shower. smh

oh good heavens, maybe you didnt see anyone bat an eye but i can assure you ,some did. shorts on formal night? t shirt in main DR? an absolute shower. smh

Sadly, too many people don't think rules apply to them and have no respect for the dress code.

Sadly, too many people don't think rules apply to them and have no respect for the dress code.

you know its sad really , so many want to be casual these days. this is the time to get dressed up and its a bit of fun to do that now and then. we can be casual at home all year. i really dont get why its hard to pack at the very least one pair of dress slacks and two dress shirts. it doesnt take much room at all.