Proof Needed for Price Drop?

kendracruises

I have 2 cruises booked back to back with Celebrity in October 2018. I am using a price drop web page( to remain nameless) that informed me of a 50% reduction on one of my cruises(rate still showing on their site) Of course when I go to the Celebrity site no such rate shows and they claim they don't know what I am talking about.What can I use as proof of the price being offered? Do they honor prices from cruise sites(agents, etc) or only from Celebrity direct? I am comparing apples to apples, just the basic rate with my Go Better perks. Is a screen shot good proof or just have to catch the rate and contact them immediately before it is gone?

I am going to transfer the booking to a agent I found who monitors the rates as well and I know I will have to contact her instead of Celebrity in the future regarding price drops.

Thanks for your input!

You might have seen a Group Rate which Celebrity will not match. As suggested it might be best to cancel Celebrity booking and book with Agent advertising the lower rate. However, check the perks to see if there is a difference. You often get less perks with a lower price. Also check to see if they give you the $100 discount for booking a B2B. Sometimes things are not what they appear. Sometimes you may find a really good deal.

Are you familiar with the "Nameless" TA? Is there a chance the fare on their site is wrong? I've gone to book a cruise on a TA's site and when I got to the end the price had increased significantly with some sort of message saying the fare I had originally looked at was not available for my sailing...

So, as others have said, if that fare is correct, best to just go there and book it as long as it's an apples to apples comparison. You are well outside the Celebrity cancellation period.

The TA is someone I don't know but got referrals from others who have used her including people here on Cruise Critic, the price on her site is the same as Celebrity.

Chezmarylou, I think we are using the same site for price drops, and I agree that I think the price shown is a mistake, 50% drop seems much too big for a cruise still 18 months away

This is not a TA nor is it a group rate. This is a fare watching service which I will not name. It appears that their software has gone haywire. I got a similar price reduction email alert and there is no price reduction.

As Gonzo said, if it doesn't appear on the Celebrity website, for all intents and purposes it doesn't exist.

I'm sure the owners of the site will fix the bug ASAP. Meanwhile, just know that it is broken for now.

This is not a TA nor is it a group rate. This is a fare watching service which I will not name. It appears that their software has gone haywire. I got a similar price reduction email alert and there is no price reduction.

Same here. Not a price drop. Although you can bet I checked the Celebrity site as soon as I woke up!

Mike

It appears that yesterday for a short time, the Celebrity website developed a glitch on some cruisese, swapping out the price for two passengers and the price for one, or something like that. The fare watching site then took 50% of that and sent out a price drop alert. It was quickly fixed on the Celebrity website.

That being said, every so often there ARE large price drops for real that you can see on the Celebrity website. They are ephemeral things, but if you ever see one, quickly book it on a 24 hour hold and then turn that over to your travel agent to sort out. They usually only last for a few hours so don't delay.

That being said, every so often there ARE large price drops for real that you can see on the Celebrity website. They are ephemeral things, but if you ever see one, quickly book it on a 24 hour hold and then turn that over to your travel agent to sort out. They usually only last for a few hours so don't delay.

You are so right. Not Celebrity, but one morning we noticed a cruise fare that was roughly 40% lower than "normal". This was for a 16 day Christmas/New Years sailing on Crystal, so we're talking a substantial amount of savings. We quickly grabbed it on line AND paid the deposit. Told a friend in Florida about it and she waited 3 hours until her TA in California was in the office. By that time, the rate had been corrected and was no longer available.

Yes, two possibilities. 1, and most likely that fare was a mistake. Celebrity only price matches their website, not TAs or fare watcher sites; those sites are simply good to alert you to a reduction so you can go to celebrities site and check. Possibility 2, and happened to me, we got an alert at midnight that the price of our cruise had dropped by a good amount (nowhere near 50% though). I was still up so went to celebrities site and sure enough, there it was. That one I did take a picture of (from celebrities website) and was able to get a reduction on the next day, even though the price was gone by the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Right, the price notification email service is just that- a service. The only way to determine if there really is a reduction is to go to the Celebrity website to see for yourself. An email I received this morning had huge drops for our Reflection cruise, but the Celebrity website's pricing did not reflect any savings.

You can add cruises you are monitoring on the Celebrity website by searching for them and then adding as a saved or favorite when you are logged in. This can save a few steps when price-checking.

There are times when a savings is fleeting, so best advice is to check on the Celebrity site ASAP when you get one of those emails and call your TA or Celebrity ASAP if there is a drop!

I've never created a HOLD on celebrity website. How does it work. Do you actually make a new booking, with a deposit, then transfer this to your travel agent to get the new lower pricing?