WHY (in your opinion) does Carnival seem to have a low rank among many 'cruise snobs'

SmoothFlying

My Midwife partner loves to party on CCL. We have the same problem here in Australia. RCCL snobs put us down. I am not changing what i have become to love & enjoy. That is CCL.

ps:If you get board just doing the Carribean come to Australia & sail through the pacific islands & New Zeland. Cheap to fly here; plus you get better value with you VIFP also.:)

A college degree of any kind does not make one smarter by any stretch ... just look at some of the attorneys I've worked for. Sighs

Some people are just snobs, figuring that if you pay more it must be better. Just finished cruise #18 (all Carnival), really never a bad time. We do choose to avoid spring break, summer time when schools are out, etc, so we def avoid the younger party crowd 😀

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I know its a bit off topic but still in a way related.....

My step daughter and her cousin have decided to go on a cruise this coming April. They chose a 4-day out of Miami that goes to the Bahamas and Stirrup Cay.

Their line of choice? NCL! The major reason why? It has a "free open bar"!! Never mind the fact that they are paying double what a comparable Carnival cruise costs, and even if they bought the CHEERS! the cost of their cruise would still be about $100 less pp. They just want to go on a Booze Cruise.

When asked why not Carnival - reply: Its the Walmart of the seas....... Shaking my head.......:rolleyes:

My Midwife partner loves to party on CCL. We have the same problem here in Australia. RCCL snobs put us down. I am not changing what i have become to love & enjoy. That is CCL.

ps:If you get board just doing the Carribean come to Australia & sail through the pacific islands & New Zeland. Cheap to fly here; plus you get better value with you VIFP also.:)

We do wish to take an Australian cruise w/in the next few years. We are bird lovers and have several parrots (primarily cockatoos) of our own and have for 15+ years. We would LOVE to visit Australia and see the cockatoos in their natural habitat.

Lets be honest for a minute here. I'm not college educated and neither is my husband. Our income limits us to more afordable vacations (IF we can even take a vacation. It's been almost 3 years since the last time we went on one :loudcry:). I'd love to go on a luxurious vacation, but we made some choices in life and this is our reality. I'm sure that there are a lot of people with college degrees that make a heck more money than we do, but based on the people that we met, I'm sure that people like me are more common than people like you on a Carnival cruise. Why act insulted and need to clarify that you are college educated or make more money when you get lumped with us lowly "uneducated" people? Get over it. Unlike us that have little choice but to take a cheap vacation (if any), you are making the choice to take a cheap vacation with "us". Sorry if you're being stereotyped. :rolleyes:

So you are offended that I went after the guy that said you are probably unintelligent? Okay, then.

I am brand new here and I am far from a snob. Only cruise a handful of times on various cruise lines. Having said that I can say from my experience the CCL cruise we took was absolutely targeted to the low end very budget cruisers. The ship we sailed was in need of a lot of work. Almost everywhere we looked there was rust and badly chipping/peeling paint. The food was not bad by any means but it was inferior to the other lines we have sailed and the late night food options hardly existed other than a single pizza place that served food that was only half done and VERY greasy. The cabins were smaller than other lines but not by a huge amount. The on board entertainment was far below that of all other cruise lines we have sailed. We had a good time because after all we were on a cruise, but we will not sail CCL again.

Do you think that is more of the fault of Carnival Cruise Lines or the fact that you chose a ship that was very outdated? Carnival has plenty of new ship options. I have been on 6 Carnival cruises (some older ships, some newer ships) and never experienced any of what you mentioned.

What I find so funny is a lot of people on here comment and say, "no snob, but." How would you know if you were a snob or not? I am sure that the people that are snobs don't see themselves as snobs lol. Nonetheless, saying you didn't enjoy Carnival doesn't make you a snob, but I do find it funny that people feel the need to claim they are no snob before saying something negative about the cruise line.

Do you think that is more of the fault of Carnival Cruise Lines or the fact that you chose a ship that was very outdated? Carnival has plenty of new ship options. I have been on 6 Carnival cruises (some older ships, some newer ships) and never experienced any of what you mentioned.

Thats the whole problem most of the time. MOST of these detractors went and jumped on an old, tired Fantasy class ship, likely on a shorter cruise without doing ANY research whatsoever and are trying to compare it to their cruise on Royal's Freedom or Oasis class LOL and then wanna come back and tell us "never again Carnival" as if we really care. :rolleyes: Its like comparing apples to footballs really.

What I find so funny is a lot of people on here comment and say, "no snob, but." How would you know if you were a snob or not? I am sure that the people that are snobs don't see themselves as snobs lol. Nonetheless, saying you didn't enjoy Carnival doesn't make you a snob, but I do find it funny that people feel the need to claim they are no snob before saying something negative about the cruise line.

What I find humorous is how the OP can ask for people to theorize on why the Cruise line has a particular reputation, and when people post what they think might be the causes of the reputation (fair or not) a bunch of people come on in attack mode as if someone called their baby ugly.

I don't know who you fly with but from the East cost is cost me $2,500 a person to fly to Sydney last year. Hardly cheap!! :eek:

Prices are dropping though... Return flights from Auckland to NYC in cattle class are around NZ$2500 or US$1900 at the moment. But when they are on sale they can be significantly cheaper.

Just checked and there's a NZ$500 off sale right now! So NZ$2000 return...

mainly b/c they used to known for their short (booze) cruises. 3 and 4 day cruises, just one island. I've been on 6 CCL cruises, 2 P. and a few others. I've seen more fall down drunks on the snooty P cruises than on CCL.

DOyoushopatWalmart?

I know its a bit off topic but still in a way related.....

My step daughter and her cousin have decided to go on a cruise this coming April. They chose a 4-day out of Miami that goes to the Bahamas and Stirrup Cay.

Their line of choice? NCL! The major reason why? It has a "free open bar"!! Never mind the fact that they are paying double what a comparable Carnival cruise costs, and even if they bought the CHEERS! the cost of their cruise would still be about $100 less pp. They just want to go on a Booze Cruise.

When asked why not Carnival - reply: Its the Walmart of the seas....... Shaking my head.......:rolleyes:

The NCL Sky 3 and 4 day itineraries can usually be booked at under $400 per person. I got an email last week about cabins in March for something like $549 for two! Yep. $275 per person w/ open bar.

The Sky will be shifting to overnights in Cuba for the 4 day itinerary starting in May. These prices are quite a bit higher than the Bahamas 4 day cruises were. This is probably because the Cuba stop is the in demand port right now for many people and NCL is capitalizing on the excitement.

What a snobby thing to say.

;p

Just wondering how much longer this thread is going to go. There are jerks across the world. There are nice people across the world. There are open minded people and closed minded people. They live and vacation all over. Don't see much of a difference between cruise snobs, timeshare snobs, restaurant snobs, hotel snobs, etc....... and they don't impact my decisions whatsoever. Just laugh at those folks and move along.

Don't see much of a difference between cruise snobs, timeshare snobs, restaurant snobs, hotel snobs, etc....... and they don't impact my decisions whatsoever. Just laugh at those folks and move along.

I spend most of my CC browsing time on CCL RCCL NCL and occasionally CEL. About a year ago there was a Celebrity thread (forget the topic) and a poster jumped in who was a former Celebrity cruiser but now sails and swears by the Luxury lines like Regents, Silversea and Crystal. This poster got into a flame war with a Celebrity Loyal about the differences in the 2 cruise lines with each defending their choices.

By the end of the thread the Regent/Silversea/Crystal guy blew off the Celebrity Loyal with the line "then I'll stick with what I like and you can stick with your Amusement Park Of The Sea.

I guess it's just a matter of perspective.

Hello

I am not a snob by any means. Yes, I'm educated. To me, I vote with what I can afford that year and what ship has the route I want. I only get two weeks a year off for vacation. I also look at what is on the ship to do as far as activities and entertainment. There are some activities I am not interested in. Mainly anything that is up high like rock walls and zip lines. Cool in thought but when I get up there to do it . I get afraid. As far as food goes nothing is as bad as MRE's , I don't like something I just send it back. I do look at the mood of the ship. I have noticed that Carnival d?cor is modern and lively, fun and upbeat, where princess seems to be more elegant and regal. This summer going to Alaska on Princess. Next summer its carnival to Western Caribbean. Actually, after reading the boards I am little concerned about being bored on Princess. But, I understand that Alaska is cruise you go for the scenery. But, next summer I'm looking for something more upbeat and fun. So its Carnival.

I don't judge a book by its cover, as far as class goes. I have met rich and poor with bad manners. My toughest crowd to please when working as a nurse where the wealthy elderly. I could never please them. So, my advice is do what you enjoy. I try treat others by the golden rule, keep my opinion to myself and enjoy the blessing of being able to afford a really nice vacation.

Actually' date=' after reading the boards I am little concerned about being bored on Princess. But, I understand that Alaska is cruise you go for the scenery.[/quote']

My experience is this. When I take a Caribbean cruise, specially one to islands that I have already visited, my memories from those cruises have to do more with the ship and with what I did onboard. When we did Alaska, most of my memories were about the ports and the amazing scenery, and very little about the ship or what I did onboard. So don't worry too much about the ship. On an Alaska itinerary, the ports are the true star.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My experience is this. When I take a Caribbean cruise, specially one to islands that I have already visited, my memories from those cruises have to do more with the ship and with what I did onboard. When we did Alaska, most of my memories were about the ports and the amazing scenery, and very little about the ship or what I did onboard. So don't worry too much about the ship. On an Alaska itinerary, the ports are the true star.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting thought. While I totally agree about Alaska, and we would also cruise in a ship just for the ship (even of it were no ports), the ports in the Caribbean still play a significant role in our cruising decisions (both ship and ports).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting thought. While I totally agree about Alaska, and we would also cruise in a ship just for the ship (even of it were no ports), the ports in the Caribbean still play a significant role in our cruising decisions (both ship and ports).

I enjoy time on the ship, but not enough that I would ever cruise without ports. That said, many of the ports Carnival stops at would not be places I would want to visit sans-cruise. So it tends to be cruises to those ports that leave me with less satisfying memories when disembarking. Places like Cozumel, Belize City leave me feeling eh. On the other hand cruises to ports like St. Maarten and Skagway are value-added IMO.

After seven Caribbean and one Alaska cruise, Alaska is the only itinerary I would repeat, and I get excited just thinking about it. And I remember when we won the free cruise to Alaska I was disappointed it wasn't Caribbean. Alaska turned out to be the biggest positive travel surprise of my life.