Did Carnival start the Glory drydock too early?

LMaxwell

I was on the Glory, starting 2/11/17.

Three deck were flooded, deck 10 when workers

cut into a water pipe in the spa cabin section.

Decks 1 & 2, flooded the last night, and hundreds

of suitcases got soaked, and ruined a lot of clothes.

When I called to complain, they said they would give me

a Bon Voyage gift, on my next cruise.

I am Platinum on Carnival, and my next cruise is on

the NCL Escape!! :cool::cool:

Oh no doubt I would be highly perturbed if I found myself in the middle of that. I'm just saying that my personal disappointment would be easier for me to deal with than if my kids went and were expecting a waterslide only to find one small pool available to them and like half the deck blocked off. It's one thing for me as an adult to be upset, it's another to see your kids highly disappointed.

I don't think it's right for them to do that to people and expect them to pay full price. Now if they wanted to offer the affected cruises as highly discounted, "under construction" cruises, then I may just have to jump on that as a solo cruiser. I'm always looking for a bargain ;)! I agree with your previous schedule and think 1 month post dry dock should be a good timeframe.

I am Platinum on Carnival, and my next cruise is on

the NCL Escape!! :cool::cool:

As a side note, if you have not cruised on the Escape yet, you're in for a treat. I've been lucky enough to have cruised 29 times, 25 in the Caribbean. Have never been on a ship 3 times, until this September, when it will be 3 straight times for me on the Escape. Did 6 days over the summer in a solo cabin, 7 days last month doing Eastern route with GF and 7 again this coming September doing Western route. And I too am Platinum, with 17 under my belt on Carnival.

I've been on cruises where they had sections of the pool deck roped off for sanding and refinishing of the flooring. Some access doors to the pool deck were blocked off and it was a little annoying. No tarps. Just some cones and yellow caution tape. But it was nothing compared to this!!!

Lol. "Carnival did right". Sure. Only after the news media started asking questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think they should have received a full refund or a complete cruise on a different ship. On land most people avoid construction sites.

My wife and I just got off the February 11 Glory cruise. We had booked this cruise extremely last minute and had no idea about the dry dock. If we had known about the constant metal cutting and construction zone we would have gone on a different cruise out of Puerto Rico. I can't imagine the higher ups at carnival thinking this is ok, I do understand about spending the least amount of time in dry dock, but this was so ridiculous. In their corporate greed, they seem to have lost their way in maintaining an acceptable appearance of a ship and decency to passengers. When my wife complained to customer service they seem to love to pull out their legal agreements and customer contracts, but never just apologize or acknowledge a problem, it is a " we can do what we want" attitude and it is pathetic. We got to go to grand caymen, Belize, isla roatan, and Cozumel and we finally got to see little French key, cave tubing, and zip lining, we got to go to mr. sanchos as well, so the trip was enjoyable, just not the ship part. Carnival would be better served by showing their best, not what they can squeak by with.

I would be livid and feel that this is one instance where asking for compensation is justified. In fact, no one should even have to ask! They didnt get the vacation they paid for. Period.

My wife and I just got off the February 11 Glory cruise. We had booked this cruise extremely last minute and had no idea about the dry dock. If we had known about the constant metal cutting and construction zone we would have gone on a different cruise out of Puerto Rico. I can't imagine the higher ups at carnival thinking this is ok, I do understand about spending the least amount of time in dry dock, but this was so ridiculous. In their corporate greed, they seem to have lost their way in maintaining an acceptable appearance of a ship and decency to passengers. When my wife complained to customer service they seem to love to pull out their legal agreements and customer contracts, but never just apologize or acknowledge a problem, it is a " we can do what we want" attitude and it is pathetic. We got to go to grand caymen, Belize, isla roatan, and Cozumel and we finally got to see little French key, cave tubing, and zip lining, we got to go to mr. sanchos as well, so the trip was enjoyable, just not the ship part. Carnival would be better served by showing their best, not what they can squeak by with.

Was the construction going on during the night as well?

I am glad to year you enjoyed the trip overall.

They don't care I have called them, we are supposed to leave in 10 days and I have two small children. They just notified us! Terrible!!

Could you take the full refund and then book another ship out of Miami? I know the sensation sails from there as well as NCL and RC. I know that is not ideal and a major pain. But with kids looking forward to a waterpark, I know the sensation has waterworks. Hope it all works out for you. I would be very upset if I were in your position. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Looks like Carnival did the right thing and is giving back to the passengers.

Awesome!!!

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-glory-passengers-compensated/

Please stop. You seriously call this doing the right thing? $200 OBC or the option to cancel 2 WEEKS before sailing?

C'mon. Most passengers have little choice but to take the OBC or cancel altogether given such short notice.

Please stop. You seriously call this doing the right thing? $200 OBC or the option to cancel 2 WEEKS before sailing?

C'mon. Most passengers have little choice but to take the OBC or cancel altogether given such short notice.

Chill OUT! I was speaking about the cruise the week PRIOR to drydock. NOT the one after.

It's different when it's not their cruise. I can't reschedule 10 days prior to even flight changes cost smh!

Again, my post was in reference to the cruise PRIOR to drydock. Not the cruise you and your family are scheduled to be on.

And, yes, if I had little ones, that were looking forward to Waterworks, I would also be peeved. Did you try to see If there are ANY other options out of either MIA or FLL?

Sounds like you are entitled to a full refund. Did you check Vista?

I know the Magic is out of Port Canaveral, but that's another one with a great waterworks.

It would just be a little bit of a drive from MIA, but doable.

Sorry this is happening to you. Please keep us posted as to what you decide.

You could also cancel and rent a car and head to Orlando. Universal, Disney, sea world, and many hotels with water parks. I know that is not what you had planned and it will take some doing to change your plans last minute, but it is doable. If you think being on this ship will ruin your vacation, then it may be best to explore other options around the area. That way you won't have to cancel flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were on the sailing that left on Feb 11th. I swear we weren't but an hour or two away from the dock when the blue curtain went up and the work started. There was NO notice at all, we had to go ask why the slide was roped off only to learn it was being taken down and our kids would be unable to use it or the pool that was next to it. No apologies at all. I would have appreciated a heads up when we were checking in.
That seems quite unacceptable.

Other than invoking the Satisfaction Guarantee, what's the best way to get some sort of satisfaction from such a big shortcoming?

While Carnival is reportedly willing to allow affected March Glory passengers to switch ships, the fact that she is a Saturday boat makes this somewhat challenging. Folks with flights back home the following Saturday are somewhat limited in their options. That said, they do appear to be making a genuine effort to rectify their poor decisioning and planning surrounding the drydock situation. I hope that each case is being handled with care by the Carnival team using the greatest discretion possible. 'The Vista cruise is more expensive? No worries sir. We've got you covered.' At a minimum, the beards need to learn from this and vow never to pull a stunt like this again.

Hopefully most folks can find redress that's reasonable and acceptable. I sense that in our case we'd 'bank' our SWA credits and try again at a later date if we couldn't make an alternate cruise work. But of course not everyone can make that happen.